I have been a tenant for over 3 years now, they dont have any standard policy in terms of contract renewals. When i highlighted other properties where they are not charging tenant for renewal fees, their agents were absolutely rude. I would suggest tenants to review the contracts (when getting renewed) thoroughly. As they add these renewal payment clause without your knowledge and they wont highlight any changes..
For those who are renewing or signing a new contract, make sure u NOTE the following:
1. Watch out for the break clause
2. Watch out for renewal clause, they crazyly charge about £150+VAT and haggle you during renewal
3. They have a clause (typically 5.2) wherein you have to pay for all repairs of the property, though landlord/agent is suppose to manage or pay for repairs
4. They have no exclusions for regular ware and tare and would haggle you when leaving the property
5. Contract is one sided for asking tenant to pay for any charges (for breach of agreement) but no clause covering tenant. Logically it should be both sided whoever breaks the contract
What agent could do to change your mind?
Have a common contract charge across all tenants else dont