Properties Glasgow - Infiniti Properties
Aug 04,2012
Aug 04,2012
First of all - they charge a £96 (!!!) "admin fee" in order for you to even be considered to rent a flat you\'ve said you\'d like to take. £96 is a ridiculous amount, even for a letting agents fee. What does this fee get you? Not a lot, by the looks of things. One of their staff will print you off a couple of forms for you to fill out. YOU must obtain your own references - unlike most letting agents, they won\'t accept the name and contact details of a referee and get in touch with them. They do a credit check (apparently) which would only cost about £10. So what do they do with the remaining £86? No idea. Pocket it, I\'d imagine.

They are very quick to take the £96 off you, though. They are also very quick to take your money without doing any basic cross-checking. I rented a 3 bedroom flat from them and shared with a friend and her sister so no HMO was required. The sister moved out and I asked Goodearl if another friend could move in, which would make it a HMO. Did they bother to check that, though? No. Did they take the £96 off my friend? You bet they did! When they realised this would make the flat a HMO, it was apparently my fault for not telling them. I don\'t see why I need to tell them how to do a basic check and that\'s not my job either.

The £96 fee was only the first warning. My flatmates and I arranged a time and date to go into the office to sign the lease. We turned up and were greeted with a blank expression and "what? You\'re here to sign a lease? With who? She\'s on holiday. You\'ll have to come back when she\'s here". We had to move in a week later. Apparently none of their other staff can go through the basic job of signing a lease and handing over keys.

We had a few leaks in our roof which were made worse by the bad weather over winter. You\'d think multiple leaks in your roof would require fixing ASAP. Not for Goodearl. I was told, "someone will fix it, but it might take a few days because the workmen are busy". Seriously? Our floors were covered in buckets and pans and apparently that\'s an acceptable way to live. The workmen did turn up and told us they did a temporary fix. That was a waste of time because it started leaking a few days later anyway. Did Goodearl care? Nope!
I have plenty of stories about repairs not being carried out, or being done to a poor standard, but I\'ll be here all day typing it. Just be aware that if you want something fixed, it probably won\'t be done. If it is done, it won\'t be done for a good few weeks, and not before numerous reminders. One of our heaters didn\'t work, again during a freezing cold winter. 6 months later, it still hadn\'t been fixed. The boiler often refused to work, leaving us without hot water. These are basic things that you\'d expect a letting agent to fix for you. I\'m not asking to live in a palace, just for the place to be watertight with heating and hot water.

I had so many little issues with them that, over time, built up to one big grudge. My brother had stayed over the night before an inspection was due. He was still there when the inspection was carried out. The guy doing the inspection accused me of moving him in without me informing them. Ridiculous. On moving out, I was told I must clean the flat and leave it in perfect condition. Understandable. Did the previous tenants do that? They certainly didn\'t.

I\'d look elsewhere if you are considering renting with them. Their staff have a bad attitude all round and they have a habit of placing blame on you and speaking to you like you\'re a 5 year old. Also, just a small point to prove their "professionalism" - every time I\'ve gone to their office, they ask me to write down my address and phone number. Try using the contact details you have for me on your system!
By: hatty123
Jul 30, 2013
DO NOT USE GOODEARL. We rented from Goodearl for one year, every time we contacted them with a problem about the flat they would take weeks to get back to us. Before our tenancy ended, we became aware that the £96 application fee they had charged us at the start of the let was illegal. We contacted Goodearl about the illegal fees which they denied being illegal - even though I had emailed them a letter highlighting the laws which made this type of fee unlawful. We were in a dispute with them for over a month - the woman I spoke to on the phone just kept telling me I was wrong in what I was claiming but she would pass the comments on to the company director. Finally, after a twenty minute long phone conversation with her, she finally agreed to pass my phone number on to the director, only after I told her I had sought legal advise. After two months of arguing, we finally got our money back. I have advised our landlord to discontinue his contracts with Goodearl. I would advise anyone not to use them as we found them to be sly, dishonest, rude and very unhelpful.

Also, when the woman was coming to do the final check of the flat ahead of us getting our deposit back, she was an hour late. (The flat was at most a 10 minute drive or 25 minute walk from their office.)

jennifer85 - Go onto Shelter Scotland's website, they have a whole section and a toll kit on how to get your £96 application fee back! I have received mine back because this is ILLEGAL! Hope you get it!

You can use this form to reply to the above review or a displayed comment on the above review. PLEASE NOTE! This is not the page to leave a new review of Goodearl Property Office 1! To leave a new review of Goodearl Property Office 1, please click the link below !
Write a review for Goodearl Property Office 1