Apr 04,2013
Apr 04,2013
This agent got it spectacularly wrong. I have had 4 valuations and all were within £5K of each other. Leaper Stanbrook turned up, and without due hesitation immediately valued the house at £250K, a good £30K less than the others. Obviously he had the thought of the stamp duty threshold in mind, but didn\'t give any due consideration to me as the client. He was insistent that he was right and would only be able to sell it if it was on at that price. Even a monkey could have sold it at £250K!

He pointed to some scuff marks on one of the skirting boards and said that buyers would take that into consideration when viewing, hence justifying his low valuation. Errr.. really?!

He was hectoring and patronising, talking down to me - he even winked at me as he left! I\'m trying to avoid making this a gender issue, but it did confirm my suspicions that he probably wouldn\'t have taken the stance he did if I\'d been a man.

The whole point of having the correct valuation is to ensure that you\'re taking into account what the market is determining. The agent from Leaper Stanbrook is a greedy, lazy individual who sadly doesn\'t want to put in the necessary work. If he is representative of the agency, my advice is to give the organisation a wide berth. There is no shortage of agents in Eastbourne, so do yourself a favour and choose another.
A more empathic, honest and respectful agent would have made a huge difference. It\'s not just that he had no idea about valuations. I had to tell him about mouseprice and that he could have used it to map the trajectory of price fluctuations. If his core business is to buy/sell houses, he should have researched the house/area rather than asking me about prices! He was sadly the archetypal smarmy agent, only interested in a quick sale. He wasn\'t interested in my position - didn\'t ask me where and why I was moving. No other agent behaved in this way and I do think he was incompetent and not very good at his job.
By: andrew leaper
Apr 26, 2016
We were asked to carry out a valuation of the reviewers property in February 2013. Having inspected the property and considered other properties that were currently on the market we gave our advice in relation to its value and did in deed suggest that due to the stamp duty threshold it may prove difficult to achieve over £250,000; however our recommendation was to commence marketing at £259,000. It was obvious that the vendor was unhappy with our valuation and at that point told us she had had a number of other valuations at £280,000. Even knowing we would in all likelihood rule ourselves out of the chance of the instruction, we stood our ground, as our evidence did not support the other valuations . We did mention that it was not uncommon for some agents to be somewhat optimistic on their appraisals to try to secure an instruction and we did not want to offer advice that we did not feel was realistic.The vendor became rather agitated that we would not agree with the other valuations and rather than argue the point with her further, we decided we would have to agree to disagree. The land registry evidence shows that the property was eventually sold 1 year after marketing commenced,in a rising market, for £258,000. We did contact the vendor, politely asking her to remove her review as ultimately it did show that our valuation was more accurate than the others she had received, but no reply was forthcoming.

You can use this form to reply to the above review or a displayed comment on the above review. PLEASE NOTE! This is not the page to leave a new review of Leaper Stanbrook Office 1! To leave a new review of Leaper Stanbrook Office 1, please click the link below !
Write a review for Leaper Stanbrook Office 1