“Eager to please, but only if you're a landlord...”

Sep 04,2018
By: 'Anon'
Sep 04,2018
I was a tenant for 4 years with Ace. When I first moved in, I was only given 24 hours to fill out the inventory, meaning I had little time to properly inspect everything. This meant that, among other things, the state of the mattress went unnoticed until after I'd handed the inventory back in. The mattress in question had zero to no life left in it and was covered in questionable stains (almost certainly blood). I had the mattress promptly replaced out of my own pocket.

Over the years I experienced several issues in terms of repairs and maintenance. The biggest issue they persistently neglected was an issue with mould. I complained about it when the issue first started after two years in the property, but I was consistently told it was due to the building's old age, or the cold weather outside, or poor ventilation. The mould first appeared in the summer on the interior wall of my wardrobe and it had affected my personal belongings. I ventilated the entire property on a daily basis, except when severe weather didn't permit. I would find mould in several areas in the flat, and even after spraying the affected areas with mould treatment, the mould would return after a while. I had to resort to some drastic measures, such as never closing the wardrobe doors.

I was later told by neighbours that the flat had previously been affected by mould. I knew then that regardless of what the agents were trying to tell me, it certainly had nothing to do with me! The property needed the be completely treated for the mould!

Another disgraceful issue was when I was left without heating in the bedroom for an entire month after the plumber had to drain a leaky radiator. This occurred just before Christmas, and I was left without heating in my bedroom for one month exactly! When I tried to call the office, it was closed for the holidays and I never got through on the emergency number. As a result, I fell ill and had to move out of the bedroom entirely. I spent a month sleeping at my partner's place or in my living room. When I finally got through after the holidays, they told me the delay was due to the landlord wanting a second quote on the cost of replacing the radiator. CLEARLY THEY ONLY HAD THE LANDLORD'S INTEREST AT HEART!

But here's the kicker; after two separate inspections I had mentioned that the strip lights in the kitchen were starting to go out (ie they would flicker), but that I couldn't figure out how to get the lamp out. On both occasions, the agents couldn't figure it out either and I was promised that they would send an electrician. When the strip lights finally went out, I phoned up and then emailed them to have an electrician send out. They said that they would send one out but that I would be liable for the electrician's costs. THE PROPERTY MANAGERS DID NOT KNOW HOW TO REPLACE THE LAMPS BUT THEY EXPECTED ME TO FIGURE IT OUT ON MY OWN?!?! I ultimately asked an acquaintance to help out for free, and when I was asked by the agent at a later date how I had achieved it, I feigned ignorance. Let them hire an electrician to figure it out...

When I finally gave my notice, emails for repairs went ignored, despite sending them repeatedly. I decided that since I had done my part, they would be liable.

My advice to future tenants would be to save every email correspondance because you never know when you'll have to provide evidence that they are liable and not yourself. I, personally, will do my best to not let from them again.
Bad
By: Alan Nash
Sep 05, 2018
Dear Maryah (Anon!),

I am disappointed to read your review.

Throughout your tenancy we endeavoured to work with you and repair any issues as quickly as possible.

I am not going to detail a response on every issue however i will clarify that you as a tenant are expected to change light bulbs. I'll leave it there!

Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss anything else alan@acepm.co.uk

I wish you all the best in the future

Alan Nash