Mar 31,2015
By: 'Kateryna'
Mar 31,2015
I rented a flat with Speirs Gumley 2 months ago. Unfortunately, I didn't know what I was getting myself into. I have to admit I have been had.

Me and my partner moved to Scotland (being Ukrainian and Mexican respectively) half a year ago. Prior to renting with Speirs Gumley we rented with another letting agency. This is for everyone reading this to understand that we were not completely new to the country. Even though me and my partner had a total income of 24K (we had papers supporting this) and the monthly pay for the apartment was 625 pounds, Speirs Gumley decided that we were not earning enough to rent the place. So the only option they gave us was to pay full amount (for 6 months) in advance, which was, to say the least quite inconvenient.

On top of that racism (I can't call it anything but that), after we paid all the sum in advance and moved in, it appeared that the flat lacked sofa, which was there at the viewing. Regarding this matter, all Spers Gumley property manager had to say was that there was, apparently, a misunderstanding with the landlord, she had to take the sofa at the very last moment. We were shocked. How one can think an apartment to be rented as furnished without it having a sofa was unbelievable. After weeks of useless phone conversations with incompetent staff we dropped the idea.

In conclusion, I would like to warn against renting with these guys unless you have absolutely no other choice. Unprofessional staff. Totally unrecommended.

Speirs Gumley