Aug 15,2012
Aug 15,2012
It is some years now since I rented via Manning Stainton, but the appalling experience has stayed with me and I am glad now to have the chance to write a review and warn off would-be tenants and scrupulous landlords. During the tenancy Manning Stainton tried to blame me for a faulty washing machine which repeatedly broke down. Eventually I stayed home to see the plumber when he visited, and he assured me it was not my fault at all...but they had been trying to pass on the charges pretending it was.

More seriously, I left the property in immaculate condition when I moved out. The curtains had been taken down, cleaned and ironed before being put up. Surfaces had been scrubbed. Windows cleaned. The works. Together with my parents and friends of theirs, we spent days getting everything in order and going through their moving out list. Despite this, a large amount of the deposit was withheld. This was before the days of deposit guarantee schemes. The estate agent used a firm to "inspect" the property, but this firm was clearly paid by them and therefore not at all independent. I have no idea how long after I left the property they went in, but the complaints included things like "light dust on the shelves". The whole experience undermined my confidence in renting. What is the point in making such an effort if they charge you anyway?

When I had originally rented the property, there was a friendly note from the landlords, a couple who had decided to rent rather than sell when they moved. My impression was that the landlords themselves were thoroughly decent people who would be appalled to know how their tenant was treated. Unfortunately, there was a clause in the contract banning me from contacting them directly. I hope they read this. And I hope other tenants take it as a warning.
I simply hope this agent has new staff and a new approach. Websites like this one will force agents to behave more honestly.
By: JudyBerger
Nov 28, 2012
Even this new TDS doesn't stop the Manning Stainton staff from doing exactly the same thing to current tenants, I have now uncovered more than 20 recent unhappy tenants, it seems this agency is determined to punish the people of Leeds for daring to make phone calls to the office to complain about the shabby state of their properties. If anyone is reading these reviews in 2012 or beyond please take heed as there are better agents out there who really do care about their tenants. Manning Stainton make bold statements about their customer care but these statements are not backed up by happy tenants.
By: manning stainton lettings
Nov 06, 2012
We are disappointed to read the above comment and would welcome further information. It would appear that the tenancy is at least 5 years old or more and quite a bit in the industry has changed in that time including the introduction in April 2007 of the mandatory registering of tenants deposits with 1 of 3 government regulated schemes as well as licensing and regulation for agents that choose it. At Manning Stainton we are members of ARLA (Association of Residential Letting Agents), TDS (Tenancy Deposit Scheme), NALS (National Approved Lettings Scheme) and Safe Agent and while there is currently no legal requirement for a letting agent to be licensed and regulated, we feel it absolutely essential so that we can offer our landlords and tenants the best possible service and support.

You can use this form to reply to the above review or a displayed comment on the above review. PLEASE NOTE! This is not the page to leave a new review of Manning Stainton Moortown Lettings! To leave a new review of Manning Stainton Moortown Lettings, please click the link below !
Write a review for Manning Stainton Moortown Lettings