Feb 05,2012
Feb 05,2012
Brookdale Property Management may be the biggest letting agent in Peterborough but they are certainly not the best. They call themselves fussy over whom they choose as tenants; replace fussy with judgemental and you find a much better description of their treatment of potential tenants.

We viewed a property and decided immediately to take it as it accepted pets and many rentals do not allow a dog. We were taken to the office where we filled out an application form. We just thought it would be a standard application form until we got to the page where we have to list all our debts and outgoings. I then had to sit for half an hour with the agent to explain almost every transaction on my bank statement. They actually asked for a copy of my Disability Living Allowance letter (and bear in mind this lists my disability and all my care needs). I came away feeling ashamed and violated; I felt like some kind of criminal and this was in no way helped by the agent whose people-skills left a lot to be desired. One does not expect the Spanish Inquisition especially when filling in an application form. Obviously being personally and financially invasive is part of their ¢â‚¬Ëœunique tenant referencing system' ¢â‚¬â€œ this is not the professional service their website advertises.

Brookdale then took my holding deposit which is supposed to take the property off the market. They then said that they would get back to us when the credit and referencing checks had been done. My husband phoned them a couple of days later and they said we had passed all the checks but they needed to check a few things with the landlord.

I received a call about half an hour later telling me that our application had been declined. I asked for a specific reason when we had passed all the checks and I was told that the landlord was uncertain about the dog. I said that when we agreed to view the property it was agreed that a pet would be allowed and that we would not have made a 200 mile round trip on the off-chance the property would accept a pet. I continued to press and was then told: ¢â‚¬ËœI was just trying to be polite ¢â‚¬â€œ we did not like the state of your finances and were concerned the rent would be too much of a squeeze'. Please bear in mind that the rent for this property is £100 cheaper than we are paying now.

I was quite upset by my treatment from this company but was even more annoyed that the property we were applying for was then immediately taken off the market and one would assume it had been let. This means that Brookdale were showing potential tenants around a property for which we had paid a holding deposit. Whilst this is not illegal it is morally and ethically suspect. Please bear in mind that I only received my refund today.

Quality management might only begin with a quality tenant ¢â‚¬â€œ just a shame that Brookdale is not a quality letting agent.
By: Brookdale Property Management
Feb 24, 2012
We do receive communication from time to time from people who were not accepted for a tenancy and people who missed out expressing their disappointment but (perhaps) 98% are understanding.

I would like to take this opportunity to put forward the facts of this case, of which many are missing in the original post. (We don't have anyone working here by the name of Ian!)

Firstly, we are obliged to ask any questions we deem necessary about applicant’s financial stability – particularly if they are relying on credit/overdrafts etc.

This can seem intrusive to an applicant. However, having let over 6,000 properties in over 22 years we have only had a handful of complaints about our questions and application form – as one could imaging, all were from people who were turned down.

In terms of showing people around the property after the holding deposit was taken, this is absolutely untrue and I would like to set out the results of our internal investigation which proves this. Before I do I would like to state that everything we do including telephone call logs are all recorded on our computer system.

On Saturday 28th January 2012, there were three property viewings arranged for the property in question. They were timed at 10:45, 11:00 and 11:15. The author of this review saw the property at 11:00 and booked an appointment to apply for the property at our offices at 12 noon the same day. A holding deposit was paid by the author of this review by debit card.

At 11:26 the same day, the person who viewed the property at 11:15 called our office to book an application interview for Monday 30th January. We contacted the Landlord later Saturday to advise him that we had two potential applicants and had already interviewed one. He requested that we interview both before making a decision.

This is a reasonable request, happens fairly infrequently (it is an issue of timing) and is standard practice in letting. We are obliged, on behalf of our Landlords to accept and consider an application from anyone who has viewed their property.

On Monday 30th January at 12:30 the second applicant was interviewed at our offices.

We contacted the Landlord after the second interview and discussed both applications in detail – as is standard practice. Due to reasons of professionalism, I am not prepared to disclose exactly why the Landlord declined the first applicant, suffice to say we supported his decision.

True, the second applicant did not have a dog but this was not the only reason applicant one (who had a dog) was turned down.

At this point, many agents make a charge for credit checks or otherwise. We do not.

The debit card used by the first applicant to pay the reservation fee was refunded IN FULL at 13:41 on Monday 30th January – not long after speaking with the Landlord and abiding by his decision. We have no control over how banks process refunds and how long the money takes to arrive into the payee’s account.

I understand that people can sometimes be disappointed when missing out on a property – and there are lots of them due to lack of supply of good quality rental stock today.

However, here at Brookdale, we feel that if someone is to make an issue publicly then we have the right to investigate the issue internally – which we did and then presents the missing facts.

It is our opinion that we acted as any other professional letting agent would.

Indeed we are grateful to the poster of this review to give us here at Brookdale this platform or opportunity to explain how careful we are with tenant selection and the various processes involved as set out from our investigation.

I am sure that any Landlord who takes time to read both posts will actually see this as a positive view of our tenant vetting, attention to detail and careful balance in choosing the right tenants for their properties.

You can use this form to reply to the above review or a displayed comment on the above review. PLEASE NOTE! This is not the page to leave a new review of Brookdale Property Management Peterborough Branch! To leave a new review of Brookdale Property Management Peterborough Branch, please click the link below !
Write a review for Brookdale Property Management Peterborough Branch