Browse agents by letter
Sell or Rent Property with LOW FEES

Countrywide Residential Lettings

Agent rating: 1.3 out of 5.0 based on 160 ratings. This website contains 158 user reviews of Countrywide Residential Lettings.

Offices / Branches

• 152 disapprove

...left to get your reviews in for the 2014 allAgents People Awards

League Table Rankings:

Agent Information

A description of Countrywide Residential Lettings is currently unavailable.

Countrywide Residential Lettings has not joined our 'transparent agent' scheme yet.

Click here and Join the 1000s of Delighted customers that have had success with our recommended agents. If however you do choose to use Countrywide Residential Lettings, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Customer Reviews  (Page 1 of 6)

Page last updated on: 18-Apr-2014 17:26:25

1. A 1-star review by 'mcnulty' 9/4/2014

98 Barlow Moor Road Didsbury
    Rachel Duffy, Claire Collins
    PR1
    Would you use the agent again? No

How I wish i had read the reviews before I got involved with Countrywide! How do they stay in business one wonders? Simple - they screw tenants and offer appalling service in a market where the tenant has little choice or control over who manages their tenancy.
    They simply ignore phone calls and formal complaints. When they think you havent done somthing they need you to do (like facilitate a gas inspection; even when they are wrong) they send you multiple threatening letters. It is over a month since I left their property and no deposit back and no word from them how much they intend to seek to retain or why?
    Do not go near them...

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“Respond to calls and complaints. Be polite and efficient in dealing with queries.”

2. A 1-star review by 'Didsburytenant' 7/4/2014

98 Barlow Moor Road Didsbury
    M20
    Would you use the agent again? No

The worst agents ever, similar training to phones4u. Why they are so bad?
    1- Will pass your details to millions of companies who will start to contact you to sell you there products including: landline, mobile, insurance, etc.
    2- They transferred me to eon without my consent after living more than a month at the property, the problem is that they placed me on the most expensive energy tariff
    3- They asked for £125 contract renewal fee and they will trick you to pay it regardless whether you wan to renew the contact or contiue on periodic one.
    4- They will never respond to your quires
    5- They do not pick up the phone
    I have been renting all of my life and I've been living in 4 different cities and I used many estate agents: no one is as bad as these people.

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“make sure that you read there contract line by line. be careful and avoid them unless really necessary”

3. A 1-star review by 'Lima Bravo' 2/4/2014

Hyde Park House
    PL2
    Would you use the agent again? No

Absolutely terrible company do not use under any circumstance, while viewing the property we noticed that the paint from the bathroom ceiling was peeling, we were assured that this would be fixed before moving in (this has still not been touched 18 months later). Whenever we asked to get something fixed we are told to contact the landlord who does nothing. We have mentioned several times about our fire alarm being broken and this is constantly ignored despite being a legal requirement. The only time anything in our house has been fixed is because we had people move into the vacant basement flat and the workmen refused to paint until we had our bathroom resealed. Now we are moving out we have basically been backed into the corner to pay £90 + VAT in case we cannot complete the move before the end of next month.
    The company are quick to grab your money and do the bare minimum while you’re paying them for the pleasure.

Avoid like the plague.

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“Treat your customers like human beings rather than simply cash cows. No matter how many times we have contacted your company regarding issues with the property we are simply told that it is not there problem.”

4. A 1-star review by 'Amy' 18/3/2014

FK12
    Would you use the agent again? No

I have had countless problems with Countrywide. I am at my last ounce of patience now because I paid my rent 6 weeks ago for nearly £2000 and the landlord hasn't received a penny yet because Countrywide are incapable of sending me a tenancy agreement to sign. They have sent to me a copy with the wrong details on it and then they sent a copy with the correct details to the WRONG person! This is a clear breach of the data protection act and I am extremely angry with their service. I would NOT recommend the company to anyone and I will NOT be dealing with the company ever again!

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (1) Feature This Review
  5. View All Comments (1)by Helen  18/03/2014

You can report them to the property ombudsman.
  6. 1

A 1-star review by 'PuzzledMummy' 4/3/2014

8a Market Place
    DE21
    Would you use the agent again? No

These people about ruined my life, I was very close to an emotional break down.

I moved into the property and at first everything seemed ok.
    That soon changed. Until winter set, the windows were wooden and so old they were beginning to crumble. It was so cold in that house you could see your own breath. The kitchen cupboard doors kept falling off as the kitchen was so old and slugs started to come through the back door at night when it got really damp.

Mentioned it so many times to the Estate Agents Frank Innes but they were never interested. 10 months past and my partner left me. I... (read more)

7. 3

A 1-star review by 'SD' 20/2/2014

58 St Loyes Street
    MK42
    Would you use the agent again? No

So Countrywide decided to change my properties Energy supplies to EON without any agreement with myself, being the landlord. This was changed inbetween tenants moving out and moving in. They even decided to change the supplies of a property that we let out privately. No apologies was made, and no apology letter received. Apparently this was supposed to be a "smooth" process I was told! Obviously they are on commission. To date, I'm struggling to sort out exact meter readings between 2 suppliers to agree who is liable for payment. Has been a complete nightmare. No response from my complaint letter.

Another way of making money is that they now charge landlords £25+VAT for you carrying out your own Gas Report. So you organise the engineer, contact the tenant for a suitable time, provide Countrywide a copy of the certificate, and then they charge you £25+VAT to file the copy! Complete joke!

8. 1

A 1-star review by 'theyhavecostmethousands' 11/2/2014

LL1

Countrywide Letting Agents - I wish I had found this site before I engaged them
    They are incompetent charlatans. They are incapable of following straight forward procedures and by doing so, they put your property and your investment in a property at great risk. I am thousands of pounds out of pocket due to their succession of failures and non compliance with www.tpos.co.uk rules. They repeatedly claim mistakes are someone else's fault, claim their email system has been down, claim that they have done things they have not, take weeks, even months to respond to questions etc etc.
    All I can say is whether you are a landlord or a tenant, PUT IN A FORMAL COMPLAINT www.tpos.co.uk
    and email their Chief Exec. Grenville Turner

9. 1

A 1-star review by 'STAYCLEARFROMCOUNTRYWIDE' 23/12/2013

G53
    Would you use the agent again? No

The worst company I have ever came in to contact with. Stay Clear!!!!!!!!
    My rent payment was late by 2 weeks, when paying it, I went to Bank of Scotland and deposited it into Countrywide's bank account. 2 weeks later I received a letter stating we still owed the full balance.
    I called the accounts department, who can't speak good English. They basically called me a liar and said no funds were paid. I produced a receipt proving this and it was emailed to them.
    Because of Countrywide's negligence, I had a very horrible phone call with my landlord who demanded to know where his money... (read more)

10. A 1-star review by 'Batteryhen' 19/12/2013

20 Allerton Road
    All Staff
    L13
    Would you use the agent again? No

This agency is a joke all round. They are so unhelpful and have such a bad attitude its unreal. From never calling back when trying to get the keys to move into the property, to the hugely bad attitude the manager had when trying to complain about the treatment from the staff.
    It took a week longer to get the keys from the agent than agreed and I had to physically go down to the office to get an answer to anything. After me complaining that they never call back etc, 3 members of staff all tried to call me a liar in front of the girl who had just admitted she never called me back when she... (read more)

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“If they had done their job properly and called people back when they said they would. Also they need to sort their bad attitudes out.”

11. 4

A 1-star review by 'j' 15/12/2013

8a Market Place
    DE73
    Would you use the agent again? No

On ending the tenancy on 12 nov 2013 we were told our deposit would be paid back to us within 2 weeks. however over 1 month later still no deposit I have spoken to them 3 times a day since the 12th Nov and have been lied to everytime even once being told the landlord could text to confirm release of the deposit. The staff are rude unhelpfull, no-one takes ownership and to be honest they dont seem interested. So its Christmas we have no deposit and have had enough. how can they get away with this.
    also beware when they start taking photos with ipad when you end tenancy despite not takin any photos when you moved in!!!!!!!!
    my advice STAY AWAY!!!

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“better customer service learn basic manners learn the job honesty”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (1) Feature This Review
  12. View All Comments (1)by Foodie36  20/01/2014

We are having the same problem. Our tenancy ended on the 29th of November 2013 and we were told our deposit would be paid within 2 weeks. It's been almost 2 months later and we still haven't got our money back!! Been calling and sending emails many times and just had enough, the only response I get is that they are still waiting to hear from the landlord. I have raised a dispute today through mydeposits, hope this situation is resolved soon. Did you get your money back?

1. A 1-star review by 'Stephen Fyfe' 13/12/2013

5 Kings Parade High Street
    Lettings (Prospective customer)
    Lois Godden
    TN24
    Would you use the agent again? No

I was looking to rent a property in Ashford after moving from Glasgow so I arranged a viewing with countrywide lettings. After viewing the property i was almost forced in paying to hold the property over a telephone. Once i filled in the application and left. 3 days later i received a call from them telling my they had lost my application after i handed it to one of their agents which had my bank details on them. Unacceptable. I then told them that I was unable to take the property at this time so I had arranged to have the money refunded. I then got an email the next day telling me I could not have the refund as they had started the credit checks. How could they have done this without my details? They are nothing but money grabbing outfit who have no interest in providing a service. I advise anyone to stay away from them.

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“Refund my money which they are not entitled too.”

2. 4

A 1-star review by '£10k out of pocket' 8/12/2013

108 Whiteladies Road
    , Swansea Swansea
    BS32
    Would you use the agent again? No

We rented our house out via Countrywide Residential Lettings (CWL) for 5 years while working overseas. We went for the full service, and while the fees were on the high side, we wanted piece of mind that the house would be looked after properly.

During the 5 years, we received very little contact, except when repairs needed doing, which we regarded as a good sign. However, on taking back the house, we find the house was an absolute tip, with major damage to the house. We filled a skip with just the rubbish that was left behind, and parts of the house had to be gutted due to the damage... (read more)

3. 1

A 2-star review by 'Wiseman' 4/12/2013

67-71 Market Street
    LA1
    Would you use the agent again? No

Customer service is good. Staff is friendly and helpful.
    They have sky high fees for renting a house.
    470 pounds for 2 people , 125 pounds for extension of contract.where on earth you pay this amount of fee for 2 bed apartment.

If you compare with other agencies which are much more reasonable in fees and equally helpful.

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“Reduce you fees to competitive market levels”

4. A 1-star review by 'Beckster' 18/11/2013

G2
    Would you use the agent again? No

I paid for a fully managed service, yet kept getting contacted with silly requests for repair etc. The fees are high and the service doesn't warrant it. To top it all I got a demand for c£350 pounds to be paid back immediately as the tennants had been overcharged: they hadn't been. They thought the tennants had moved out yet they still were living there! The sales arm seems to be as bad.

5. 2

A 1-star review by 'Bristoltenant2013' 7/11/2013

108 Whiteladies Road
    BS8
    Would you use the agent again? No

Absolutely awful, fees for anything and at ridiculous amounts. Staff are incompetent, rude and completely unhelpful. Have rang them about a 2 box form reference three times today, and been told three different lies about its completion. Despite the fact that they charged me a fee for the privilege , they tell me the phones have been too busy. Appalled.

6. 1

A 1-star review by 'DisgustedofBrighton' 7/11/2013

BN2

MONEY GRABBERS.....STAY CLEAR!
    Furthermore to the previous dissatisfied customer they are actually charging £250 for renewing a tenancy, the cost split between the tenant and the landlord. When I challenged this I received a copy and paste reply about the amount of work involved which actually is a joke. Changing the date on a document, pressing print and putting in an envelope is NOT worth £250. When I pointed this out they said it was standard practice and that they were much less expensive than a solicitor. Firstly they are not solicitors and secondly many agents do not charge this unfair blackmail renewal fee because it creates bad feeling. Countrywide don't care obviously so I have to resort to posting negative feedback on as many forums as possible. There is another forum with 65 other negative reviews giving them a rating of one star. They are already making plenty from all their other fees and comissions, just greedy and money grabbing in my opinion and eventually their business will suffer.

7. 1

A 1-star review by 'PFizzy' 27/10/2013

Mss De\'Arth
    BA4
    Would you use the agent again? No

Keep charging £125 per year to renew my tanancy contract AND putting rent up by £20 each year. Soon to be an ex tenant

8. 10

A 2-star review by 'Geoffrey' 4/8/2013

24 Sheep Street
    Sarah Scaysbrook Lettings Manager
    CV37
    Would you use the agent again? No

After experiencing management problems with my property by Countrywide agents, R.A. Bennett & Partners, (Stratford-upon-Avon), resulting in the tenants receiving compensation, I terminated the business contract a few weeks prior to its end, effectively removing Countrywide from any further role of managing the property.

On making a written request for the return of the £150 ‘Reserve’ held by Countrywide I was informed by the ‘Residential Lettings Manager’, that I would be charged a ‘Cease Management Fee’ of £600 and as the tenants were now making rental payments directly... (read more)

9. 3

A 1-star review by 'Ratinfested of Notts' 5/7/2013

NG3
    Would you use the agent again? No

I rented this property from Frank Innes, but it is Countrywide who I deal with when things go wrong, and who I pay my rent to. When moving into the flat it was filthy; that is the only way I can describe it. Not only that, but the fridge didn't work, there was no cold water in the bathroom and there were no locks to several of the windows, which has left them permanently unlocked all year among other minor problems. It took 2 months for these problems to be fixed. When I rang up tro chase these issues and reminded them that they were not upholding their end of the contract by not fixing... (read more)

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“Dealing with the problems in a timely manner without excuses., and in the rare instance when dealing with the problems, get someone qualified to do the work.”

10. 3

A 1-star review by 'Andrea Church' 26/6/2013

G1 5
    Would you use the agent again? No

No customer service skills what so ever. no staff at agency ever answer the phone, you always have to leave a message and at best may get someone come back to you the following day. I would never use countrywide ever again.

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“AVOID AVOID AVOID - I have never dealt with such a frustrating company. They never answer their phone so you always have to leave a message and at best someone may contact you in a few days time. everything you ask is always a no. There is no customer service what so ever. I will never ever use them again and would definitely not recommend.”

1. 4

A 1-star review by 'Angry Soon-To-Be Ex Tenant' 31/5/2013

75/76 High Street
    DL6
    Would you use the agent again? No

Where to begin...I've rented several properties from several estate agents over the years, and NEVER have I had anyone as useless as Bridgfords dealing with my letting. I guess I'll start at the beginning, and it's a long list. *There is one exception to my bad experience with them, and I've put it at the end. It's the only reason there would even BE one star, but it was only one person, and I consider it a fluke after my terrible experience with this estate agent.*

- Tenant's fees were extraordinarily extortionate. For that price, you assume you're going to get the best. Well, you... (read more)

2. 5

A 1-star review by 'Pollokshields' 30/5/2013

G41
    Would you use the agent again? No

Biggest surprise is that Countrywide Lettings have two letting agents rated as being worse than them. It's hard to imagine.

I have been both a landlord and a tenant simultaneously after a move to Glasgow for a job. I very happily let a property for three years through another landlord/ agency but when my landlord had to sell her property I had to find somewhere quickly. I found an OK property through Countrywide in an area that I liked, and decided to proceed (even though I had read that Countrywide were notorious for breaking the law).

Countrywide charged me £144 admin fees, which... (read more)

3. 7

A 1-star review by 'paulhayhurst' 26/4/2013

CW8
    Would you use the agent again? No

I cannot begin to describe just how bad this company are.
    To begin with they failed to make clear that they do not do property inspections (it’s hidden in the small print but according to ARLA they need to make this clear). When referencing tenants did financial reference only – no behavioural references. They do nothing that can be considered management for this management fee – we had to tell them everytime that rent wasn’t received.
    As a result we received tenant who did a huge amount of damage to the property. Six months since they left we are still no closer to getting their... (read more)

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“The experience was that bad that I can only say they need to begin from scratch ..... incompetent, rude and lazy at every step of the way”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (3) Feature This Review
  4. View All Comments (3)by Shane  25/05/2013

Interesting this from a landlord. My wife and are tenants and the flat was new to the market. In two years we have had endless problems as they never checked stuff properly before releasing it to the market. Boiler was 30yrs old, gas leak in the kitchen, fridge stopped working and a bunch of other problems. Each time has been a painful issue with Countrywide sending the worst tradesmen they could find. This after weeks of calling. Landlord has been dishing out my number to his own maintenance crew so I have had to deal with three parties. Countrywide are a disgrace.
  5. 6

A 1-star review by 'Mark L' 16/3/2013

, Bath United Kingdom
    BA2
    Would you use the agent again? No

Firstly I would like to say that the local agents were very good. In truth until we got our renewal reminder I did not realise I was dealing with this bunch of thieves. The standardised contract originally printed in 2004 had their name on it but all the covering documents were from our local estate agent. They are asking for £125 for continuing our rental agreement but haven't given me any good reason why it is so much. I must be have been lucky for the last 32 years because I have never been asked for such a fee.
    When I asked how they justified this they sent me a rude email basically... (read more)

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“By not continuously adding more fees other than the rent that they are entitled to.”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (2) Feature This Review
  6. View All Comments (2)by tanzoid  14/04/2013

Totally agree with comments above, just had the same letter for a 12 month contract. They charge the landlord the same amount. Bit of check as they are generic documents with a couple of sentences bolted on the end for specifics. £250 for pressing the print button.
  7. 6

A 3-star review by 'Snorky Dahlihad' 19/2/2013

172 High Street
    GU1
    Experience:
    Would you use the agent again? Yes

We had been satisfied customers of Gascoigne-Pees for the last 7 years, but a recent outrageous lapse has diminished our satisfaction considerably. When the tenancy ended on our property last June, Gascoigne-Pees changed our electricity supplier to E.On (whom I had never heard of and therefore deeply mistrust). This was done without our knowledge or permission, and discovered by accident when I telephoned our favoured energy supplier.

I immediately changed the supplier back to the original one, but that didn't end the problems. Because we live abroad, sorting out the mess involved... (read more)

8. 9

A 1-star review by 'more than just angry customer' 13/2/2013

70 Bradshawgate
    BL3
    Would you use the agent again? No

WORST COMPANY IN THE WHOLE WORLD! NEVER EVER EVER USE THIS COMPANY. BE WARNED! MONEY GRABBING xxxxxx!

OMG this company is absolute xxxxx. I can't say any thing good about them at all. First things first, they never ring back, they never email back, they hang up on you when you are in the middle of a conversation. Myself and my husband have been waiting for repairs for a year. The house is absolutly disgusting. Promises always made and never stuck to. There have been 3 builders in a year come to the property and have noted how bad the damage is from the last tennant. BUT.......only ever to... (read more)

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“Nothing because they wouldnt do it anyway. They dont care.”

9. 3

A 2-star review by 'Steven' 23/1/2013

G76
    Would you use the agent again? No

A catalogue of errors from a large lettings agent - who should have procedures in place to be an efficient agent for the tenant (the tenant provides the money to drive their business).

- Slow to respond to repairs in the property (washing machine, boiler, fridge / freezer, decorating (Upstairs flat flooded))
    - Charged unlawful (in Scotland) reference fees. Took 2 months to refund these
    - Check out they showed their true colours as only looking out for themselves. We were charged some money from the deposit (tenants money until agreed with the landlord that they can use it)
    1. Initially... (read more)

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“1. Realise the law with the reference fees instead of charging them and hoping no one would have noticed 2. Provide proper receipts for work done on tenants behalf in a timely manner 3. charges for cleaning should be realistic. £10 an hour and no more 4. honesty in their communications (It took 5 or 6 e-mails before they admitted the landlord cleaned the kitchen)”

10. 5

A 1-star review by 'UnhappyCustomer' 9/1/2013

LU6
    Would you use the agent again? No

We found a house with a garage that we liked the look of. The garage was an important thing as I had a car I needed to store. We were told the garage was part of the deal when we were shown around by the Countrywide agent. We signed the agreements and I read every page. After we signed and got the keys, we asked about keys for the garage. After we'd cleaned the house (which was filthy) and even repainted some of the walls, we were told the garage wasn't part of the agreement.
    We asked to see the agreement and were sent a scanned copy which apparently had our signatures on a page with one single paragraph stating the garage was only to be available to the landlord for storage and not the tenant. I read every page of that agreement and specifically wanted the garage. We ended up paying rent for months without moving in until another tenant was found. I'd recommend staying away from Countrywide Luton. I have been left feeling conned and ripped off.

11. 5

A 1-star review by 'Mr. Hewitt' 28/12/2012

75 Westgate
    WV14
    Would you use the agent again? No

This company are deceitful liars & have shown no respect for the terms of The Property Ombudsman to whom I complained about their lack of professionlism & customer service. They deserve to be on the black list of property companies & I can only hope they may improve after the Ombudsman picked up on several issues that they are grossly inadequate in, but I doubt it as they have shown nothing but ignorance & contempt.
    AVOID WHERE POSSIBLE!

12. 4

A 1-star review by 'littlejohn' 20/12/2012

75 Westgate
    LN1
    Would you use the agent again? No

We were charged £414 in application fees when setting up the tenancy agreement (for 2 people). After 6 months we were told that the landlord no longer wished to let the property and we had to leave, despite being told when we moved in that we could renew after 6 months. We were then told if we wanted to let through them again we would be charged these fees again - the only change in our circumstances was that we had let through them for 6 months! We decided to let through another agent only then to discover that Countrywide charge for providing references to the new agent. The fees are beyond excessive and they are exploiting people at a particularly vulnerable and stressful time. I am completely disgusted with them! We were refused even one months extension of the tenancy, which we would have liked to give us time to find somewhere else. We have been excellent tenants and have given them no reason to treat us in this way.

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“Given that is was not our choice to terminate out existing tenancy and we had only been with them 6 months I think that it would have been perfectly reasonable to expect them to make no charge for application/ reference fees on setting up a tenancy with a further property with them. They were not prepared to do this.”

Page: