Browse agents by letter
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sell or Rent Property with LOW FEES

Countrywide Residential Lettings

Agent rating: 1.3 out of 5.0 based on 173 ratings. This website contains 171 user reviews of Countrywide Residential Lettings.

Offices / Branches

• 165 disapprove

...left to get your reviews in for the 2014 Estate & Letting Agent Awards

League Table Rankings:

Agent Information

A description of Countrywide Residential Lettings is currently unavailable.

Countrywide Residential Lettings has not joined our 'transparent agent' scheme yet.

Click here and Join the 1000s of Delighted customers that have had success with our recommended agents. If however you do choose to use Countrywide Residential Lettings, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Customer Reviews  (Page 1 of 6)

Page last updated on: 21-Aug-2014 09:06:56

1. A 1-star review by 'Frustrated tenant' 21/8/2014

Branch:
    142 The Grove (Stratford) (London) (Greater London)
    Chris Williams
    E10
    £850

Chris Williams

I vacated the property on the 31st of July and the final check out was done on the same day. During check out I was advised that the property was immaculate and I should receive my deposit back within 7 working days. This came and went without me hearing anything from countrywide. I tried to contact them several times but was always told the person dealing with my property was busy and would call me back, but they never did. I eventually reached chris Williams who advised me that countrywide would do nothing further until the landlord had confirmed he was happy for the deposit to be released,... (read more)

2. A 1-star review by 'Steve' 19/8/2014

GL2
    £580
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Almost 8 weeks after moving out still not recieved our deposit back we have not recieved any calls from him he occasionally e-mails about once every 1-2 weeks. We have to continually ring him only to leave countless answerphone messages requesting call back which never happens. He seems totally uncomitted to any standard of customer service. We have requested a managers number and complaints number but so far nothing. To put it bluntly he is pretty much ignoring us!!!!

Comments on the Agents fees

“WE WERE CHARGED £125 FOR A 6 MONTH EXTENSION TO OUR CONTRACT WHERE AS MOST OTHER AGENTS WE HAVE DEALT WITH CHARGE £50 ALSO HAD TO PAY 6 MOBTHS RENT UP FRONT EACH TERM OF TENANCY AS THEY WOULDNT ACCEPT CREDIT RATING WHICH WAS FINE WITH NEW AGENTS.”

3. A 1-star review by 'Malky21' 10/8/2014

Branch:
    113 Old Christchurch Road (Bournemouth) (Dorset)
    Karen Akerman, Ross Aubin
    BH1
    £650

Karen AkermanRoss Aubin

Well what can I say about the total incompetence of this agency and its staff. Not only do they never respond to emails or enquiries, they also try to pass the buck to anyone else.

I would not recommend using this Letting Agency to anyone who wanted to receive a professional full management service. Whilst they are happy to take 10% charges for full management they actually do nothing for the privilage.

Comments on the Agents fees

“IM HAPPY TO PAY FEES IF I CAN GUARANTEE TO RECEIVE THE SERVICE THAT IS OFFERED”

4. A 1-star review by 'WarrenG' 5/8/2014

Branch:
    66-70 London Road Stockton Heath (Stockton Heath) (Warrington) (Cheshire)
    WA4
    Upload a reviwer profile image

ZERO STAR RATING!! Please stay clear of this agency. I never post complaints but feel so passionately about this company I had to let other people know to make sure people steer well clear. Ask your prospective letting agent who they contract to manage the property and if they say Countrywide politely says 'No thanks' and leave. it's not worth your time or money getting involved in this joke of a company. In Warrington this applies to Bridgfords.

I had a broken hot tap that meant I had to keep turning on the mains water supply when I need water. for over two months this went on and... (read more)

5. A 1-star review by 'Hannah Cooper' 20/7/2014

Branch:
    48 Granby Street (Leicester) (Leicestershire)
    Jack Smith
    LE1
    £600

Jack Smith

If I could give -1 I would. After being convinced the apartment we were looking at was only available for a short period of time we have been left with nothing but problems. Spencer Countrywide lack of communication is appalling, we were given none of the information that matters about the apartment we ended up letting.
    The apartment in the exchange itself is ok apart from the plumbing, we were left for numerous days with no water at all and sewage filling our bathroom and kitchen sink, even though speaking to employees at the Spencer's leicester who just passed the blame or told us they... (read more)

“A JOKE!”

6. A 1-star review by 'Sunny Chan' 20/7/2014

Branch:
    28 Norfolk House George Street (Croydon) (Greater London)
    cr0
    £300
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Back in 2006, I was on a joint tenancy with two others, under an AST with fixed term for one year.

On the eighth month, I put in a notice to leave the contract due to problems with my flatmates. There was this option to surrender the contract with every party's agreement, but Countrywide Croydon branch staff failed to do it. Failing that, the notice should have served as an adequate one to terminate the contract at the end of the fixed term.

However, Countrywide Croydon branch failed to terminate the contract upon repeated request, withholding my deposit and dragging me into the... (read more)

7. A 1-star review by 'joanne smith' 14/7/2014

Branch:
    20 Allerton Road (Liverpool) (Merseyside)
    l11
    £475
    Upload a reviwer profile image

absolute jokes this company! we began renting our house in feb last year (2013) after agreeing to pick the keys up from the Allerton rd branch (way out of are way by the way) on the Friday we get a phone call when we where on the 2nd bus on our way there to say they haven't got the keys now so it will be Monday ! I don't think so !! we where handing our keys to the old house in on the sat so after having murder on the phone they agreed to have the keys for Saturday. Then over the course of moving in we found sockets not working locks not opening or closing no keys for the windows, boiler... (read more)

8. A 2-star review by 'Foxylady101' 14/7/2014

NG17
    £450
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I'm not sure what the connection is between Frank Innes and Countrywide but between them they provide no service whatsover. Very quick to extract money from both me and the landlord - despite their promises they did not sort out utilities transfer or council tax so I did these myself. If I went to them with any query they just contacted the landlord (so what exactly what she paying for?) and in the end she and I just did everything between us.
    Final straw - moving out check, all AOK and the landlady actually attended and told them they could release my deposit. 3 weeks later and no deposit received.
    My advice - avoid both of these companies both as a landlord and as a tenant.

9. A 1-star review by 'peter williams' 3/6/2014

Branch:
    Unit Z First Floor The Galleries (Washington) (Washington) (Tyne and Wear)
    , effingham United Kingdom
    ne38

effingham United Kingdom

Have not to date had any response to my emails, the property was left with the carpets ruined from too much water and the smell of cats is awful
    they were supposed to have had it proffessionally cleaned, and charged us for this on the final account
    still not able to gat the name of the cleaning company,
    now having to replace carpets in order to sell the property
    as we live in the south east it was not easy to get to the property often whch is why we thought t would be best to have an agent
    I would not give them more than one star

“£700.00 per month”

10. 1

A 1-star review by 'Mrs Wilson' 29/5/2014

G4
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Phone is rarely answered and when it is staff are dreadful.....My husband was actually told to be quiet as she was speaking! There had been several problems during tenancy regarding repairs, meaning my son who is a student was left in the worst of the winter with no heating in living room! Took out 6 month lease gave a months notice at end of lease and because other tenant is keeping flat on seems impossible to remove my sons name from lease! Do not touch this company!!! Dreadful staff, dreadful manners, extremely unhelpful and once you've signed on the dotted line impossible to get away from!! You have been warned!!

1. 1

A 1-star review by 'Gary' 21/5/2014

Branch:
    115/118 Commercial Road (Swindon) (Wiltshire)
    They manage our estate
    sn14
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Countrywide are nothing more than aggressive brutes! They didn't send service charge reminders to the property and when we didn't pay their charges, we would have done if asked, they got solicitors involved and added interest charges to our account. A simple 6 monthly service charge of £547, v expensive for what they do at the property was then hiked to include £645 for interest, disimbursements and legal charges. We have no choice but to use this company and reluctantly we paid so as to avoid court action. Countrywide is a huge PLC property services company providing everything from estate agency, property management, letting agency, surveying, conveyancing etc and I for one will refuse to ever use their services. In most instances they trade under a local brand name, so its worth checking locally to see what brand they operate under so as to avoid.

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“The agent could have accepted we had not received paperwork and dropped by the property or contacted us via our solicitors to request we called them to make payment before calling in lawyers.”

2. A 1-star review by 'cerwin' 13/5/2014

m16
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I want to take countrywide residential lettings to court, I want to close them down for good. They have ripped me off from my deposit which is still outstanding, they have not supplied a single service I have paid for and they have not replied to any of my calls or emails. I moved into a property which had a blocked toilet for a month, the only toilet. We called everyday for a month to get this toilet unblocked, the landlord got it fixed only because I threatened not to pay rent. We have asked and begged for back door key, never recieved one. The house was filthy when I moved in and asked a rep from countrywide to make an appearance to discuss all problems. I have not seen anyone from countrywide my entire stay. I would like everybody that has had a terrible experience as I have to join me and take them to court. cerwinmeijer@gmail.com

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“reply to my calls, answer my call, be honest, help when it is needed, supply a maintenance service, give me a key to the back door when I ask for it. have a bit of respect, be nice.”

3. A 1-star review by 'Dissapointed Tenant' 24/4/2014

Branch:
    21 Clifftown Road (Southend on Sea) (Essex)
    TN24
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Steer well clear of Countrywide!

I requested repairs were undertaken at my property, which took over a year to remedy, some repairs done 4 times, and still not remedied! (Historic repairs still not fully completed)

Countrywide then refused to undertake further repairs retrospectively as an addendum to a tenancy had not been sent back (Which they got wrong on the 1st attempt), despite the repairs being raised some 5 months prior to the addendum being raised.

They then threw their dummy out of their pram and then requested a section 21 was issued by the landlord, trying to evict a decent tenant from the landlords property!

It seems like there are teenage 3 girls in this Southend office, and they all take turns trying to back each other up, but none have the sense to pick up the phone and converse with anyone, and would rather turn defensive and vindictive.

General level of service; Poor. I would be reconsidering my staff selection if this was my company.

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“They could have picked the phone up and had an adult conversation with me!”

4. A 1-star review by 'mcnulty' 9/4/2014

Rachel Duffy, Claire Collins
    PR1

Rachel DuffyClaire Collins

How I wish i had read the reviews before I got involved with Countrywide! How do they stay in business one wonders? Simple - they screw tenants and offer appalling service in a market where the tenant has little choice or control over who manages their tenancy.
    They simply ignore phone calls and formal complaints. When they think you havent done somthing they need you to do (like facilitate a gas inspection; even when they are wrong) they send you multiple threatening letters. It is over a month since I left their property and no deposit back and no word from them how much they intend to seek to retain or why?
    Do not go near them...

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“Respond to calls and complaints. Be polite and efficient in dealing with queries.”

5. 2

A 1-star review by 'Didsburytenant' 7/4/2014

M20
    Upload a reviwer profile image

The worst agents ever, similar training to phones4u. Why they are so bad?
    1- Will pass your details to millions of companies who will start to contact you to sell you there products including: landline, mobile, insurance, etc.
    2- They transferred me to eon without my consent after living more than a month at the property, the problem is that they placed me on the most expensive energy tariff
    3- They asked for £125 contract renewal fee and they will trick you to pay it regardless whether you wan to renew the contact or contiue on periodic one.
    4- They will never respond to your quires
    5- They do not pick up the phone
    I have been renting all of my life and I've been living in 4 different cities and I used many estate agents: no one is as bad as these people.

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“make sure that you read there contract line by line. be careful and avoid them unless really necessary”

6. A 1-star review by 'Lima Bravo' 2/4/2014

Branch:
    Hyde Park House (Mutley Plain) (Plymouth) (Devon)
    Pl2
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Absolutely terrible company do not use under any circumstance, while viewing the property we noticed that the paint from the bathroom ceiling was peeling, we were assured that this would be fixed before moving in (this has still not been touched 18 months later). Whenever we asked to get something fixed we are told to contact the landlord who does nothing. We have mentioned several times about our fire alarm being broken and this is constantly ignored despite being a legal requirement. The only time anything in our house has been fixed is because we had people move into the vacant basement flat and the workmen refused to paint until we had our bathroom resealed. Now we are moving out we have basically been backed into the corner to pay £90 + VAT in case we cannot complete the move before the end of next month.
    The company are quick to grab your money and do the bare minimum while you’re paying them for the pleasure.

Avoid like the plague.

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“Treat your customers like human beings rather than simply cash cows. No matter how many times we have contacted your company regarding issues with the property we are simply told that it is not there problem.”

7. A 1-star review by 'Amy' 18/3/2014

FK12
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I have had countless problems with Countrywide. I am at my last ounce of patience now because I paid my rent 6 weeks ago for nearly £2000 and the landlord hasn't received a penny yet because Countrywide are incapable of sending me a tenancy agreement to sign. They have sent to me a copy with the wrong details on it and then they sent a copy with the correct details to the WRONG person! This is a clear breach of the data protection act and I am extremely angry with their service. I would NOT recommend the company to anyone and I will NOT be dealing with the company ever again!

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (1) Feature This Review
  8. View All Comments (1)by Helen  18/03/2014

You can report them to the property ombudsman.
  9. 1

A 1-star review by 'PuzzledMummy' 4/3/2014

Branch:
    8a Market Place (Derby) (Derbyshire)
    DE21
    Upload a reviwer profile image

These people about ruined my life, I was very close to an emotional break down.

I moved into the property and at first everything seemed ok.
    That soon changed. Until winter set, the windows were wooden and so old they were beginning to crumble. It was so cold in that house you could see your own breath. The kitchen cupboard doors kept falling off as the kitchen was so old and slugs started to come through the back door at night when it got really damp.

Mentioned it so many times to the Estate Agents Frank Innes but they were never interested. 10 months past and my partner left me. I... (read more)

10. 4

A 1-star review by 'SD' 20/2/2014

Branch:
    58 St Loyes Street (Bedford) (Bedfordshire)
    MK42
    Upload a reviwer profile image

So Countrywide decided to change my properties Energy supplies to EON without any agreement with myself, being the landlord. This was changed inbetween tenants moving out and moving in. They even decided to change the supplies of a property that we let out privately. No apologies was made, and no apology letter received. Apparently this was supposed to be a "smooth" process I was told! Obviously they are on commission. To date, I'm struggling to sort out exact meter readings between 2 suppliers to agree who is liable for payment. Has been a complete nightmare. No response from my complaint letter.

Another way of making money is that they now charge landlords £25+VAT for you carrying out your own Gas Report. So you organise the engineer, contact the tenant for a suitable time, provide Countrywide a copy of the certificate, and then they charge you £25+VAT to file the copy! Complete joke!

11. 4

A 1-star review by 'theyhavecostmethousands' 11/2/2014

LL1

Countrywide Letting Agents - I wish I had found this site before I engaged them
    They are incompetent charlatans. They are incapable of following straight forward procedures and by doing so, they put your property and your investment in a property at great risk. I am thousands of pounds out of pocket due to their succession of failures and non compliance with www.tpos.co.uk rules. They repeatedly claim mistakes are someone else's fault, claim their email system has been down, claim that they have done things they have not, take weeks, even months to respond to questions etc etc.
    All I can say is whether you are a landlord or a tenant, PUT IN A FORMAL COMPLAINT www.tpos.co.uk
    and email their Chief Exec. Grenville Turner

1. 1

A 1-star review by 'STAYCLEARFROMCOUNTRYWIDE' 23/12/2013

G53
    Upload a reviwer profile image

The worst company I have ever came in to contact with. Stay Clear!!!!!!!!
    My rent payment was late by 2 weeks, when paying it, I went to Bank of Scotland and deposited it into Countrywide's bank account. 2 weeks later I received a letter stating we still owed the full balance.
    I called the accounts department, who can't speak good English. They basically called me a liar and said no funds were paid. I produced a receipt proving this and it was emailed to them.
    Because of Countrywide's negligence, I had a very horrible phone call with my landlord who demanded to know where his money... (read more)

2. A 1-star review by 'Batteryhen' 19/12/2013

Branch:
    20 Allerton Road (Liverpool) (Merseyside)
    All Staff
    L13

All Staff

This agency is a joke all round. They are so unhelpful and have such a bad attitude its unreal. From never calling back when trying to get the keys to move into the property, to the hugely bad attitude the manager had when trying to complain about the treatment from the staff.
    It took a week longer to get the keys from the agent than agreed and I had to physically go down to the office to get an answer to anything. After me complaining that they never call back etc, 3 members of staff all tried to call me a liar in front of the girl who had just admitted she never called me back when she... (read more)

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“If they had done their job properly and called people back when they said they would. Also they need to sort their bad attitudes out.”

3. 4

A 1-star review by 'j' 15/12/2013

Branch:
    8a Market Place (Derby) (Derbyshire)
    de73
    Upload a reviwer profile image

On ending the tenancy on 12 nov 2013 we were told our deposit would be paid back to us within 2 weeks. however over 1 month later still no deposit I have spoken to them 3 times a day since the 12th Nov and have been lied to everytime even once being told the landlord could text to confirm release of the deposit. The staff are rude unhelpfull, no-one takes ownership and to be honest they dont seem interested. So its Christmas we have no deposit and have had enough. how can they get away with this.
    also beware when they start taking photos with ipad when you end tenancy despite not takin any photos when you moved in!!!!!!!!
    my advice STAY AWAY!!!

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“better customer service learn basic manners learn the job honesty”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Agent Response & Comments (1) Feature This Review
  4. View All Comments (1)by Foodie36  20/01/2014

We are having the same problem. Our tenancy ended on the 29th of November 2013 and we were told our deposit would be paid within 2 weeks. It's been almost 2 months later and we still haven't got our money back!! Been calling and sending emails many times and just had enough, the only response I get is that they are still waiting to hear from the landlord. I have raised a dispute today through mydeposits, hope this situation is resolved soon. Did you get your money back?
  5. 1

A 1-star review by 'Stephen Fyfe' 13/12/2013

Branch:
    5 Kings Parade High Street (Ashford) (Kent)
    Lettings (Prospective customer)
    Lois Godden
    Tn24

Lois Godden

I was looking to rent a property in Ashford after moving from Glasgow so I arranged a viewing with countrywide lettings. After viewing the property i was almost forced in paying to hold the property over a telephone. Once i filled in the application and left. 3 days later i received a call from them telling my they had lost my application after i handed it to one of their agents which had my bank details on them. Unacceptable. I then told them that I was unable to take the property at this time so I had arranged to have the money refunded. I then got an email the next day telling me I could not have the refund as they had started the credit checks. How could they have done this without my details? They are nothing but money grabbing outfit who have no interest in providing a service. I advise anyone to stay away from them.

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“Refund my money which they are not entitled too.”

6. 5

A 1-star review by '£10k out of pocket' 8/12/2013

Branch:
    108 Whiteladies Road (Bristol) (North Somerset)
    , Swansea Swansea
    BS32

Swansea Swansea

We rented our house out via Countrywide Residential Lettings (CWL) for 5 years while working overseas. We went for the full service, and while the fees were on the high side, we wanted piece of mind that the house would be looked after properly.

During the 5 years, we received very little contact, except when repairs needed doing, which we regarded as a good sign. However, on taking back the house, we find the house was an absolute tip, with major damage to the house. We filled a skip with just the rubbish that was left behind, and parts of the house had to be gutted due to the damage... (read more)

7. 1

A 2-star review by 'Wiseman' 4/12/2013

Branch:
    67-71 Market Street (Lancaster) (Lancashire)
    La1
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Customer service is good. Staff is friendly and helpful.
    They have sky high fees for renting a house.
    470 pounds for 2 people , 125 pounds for extension of contract.where on earth you pay this amount of fee for 2 bed apartment.

If you compare with other agencies which are much more reasonable in fees and equally helpful.

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“Reduce you fees to competitive market levels”

8. A 1-star review by 'Beckster' 18/11/2013

G2
    Upload a reviwer profile image

I paid for a fully managed service, yet kept getting contacted with silly requests for repair etc. The fees are high and the service doesn't warrant it. To top it all I got a demand for c£350 pounds to be paid back immediately as the tennants had been overcharged: they hadn't been. They thought the tennants had moved out yet they still were living there! The sales arm seems to be as bad.

9. 2

A 1-star review by 'Bristoltenant2013' 7/11/2013

Branch:
    108 Whiteladies Road (Bristol) (North Somerset)
    BS8
    Upload a reviwer profile image

Absolutely awful, fees for anything and at ridiculous amounts. Staff are incompetent, rude and completely unhelpful. Have rang them about a 2 box form reference three times today, and been told three different lies about its completion. Despite the fact that they charged me a fee for the privilege , they tell me the phones have been too busy. Appalled.

10. 1

A 1-star review by 'DisgustedofBrighton' 7/11/2013

BN2

MONEY GRABBERS.....STAY CLEAR!
    Furthermore to the previous dissatisfied customer they are actually charging £250 for renewing a tenancy, the cost split between the tenant and the landlord. When I challenged this I received a copy and paste reply about the amount of work involved which actually is a joke. Changing the date on a document, pressing print and putting in an envelope is NOT worth £250. When I pointed this out they said it was standard practice and that they were much less expensive than a solicitor. Firstly they are not solicitors and secondly many agents do not charge this unfair blackmail renewal fee because it creates bad feeling. Countrywide don't care obviously so I have to resort to posting negative feedback on as many forums as possible. There is another forum with 65 other negative reviews giving them a rating of one star. They are already making plenty from all their other fees and comissions, just greedy and money grabbing in my opinion and eventually their business will suffer.

11. 1

A 1-star review by 'PFizzy' 27/10/2013

Mss De\\\'Arth
    BA4

Mss De\'Arth

Keep charging £125 per year to renew my tanancy contract AND putting rent up by £20 each year. Soon to be an ex tenant

Page: