FREE Valuation

Countrywide Residential Lettings

Agent rating: 1.3 out of 5.0 based on 197 ratings. This website contains 195 user reviews of Countrywide Residential Lettings.

• Countrywide Residential Lettings has not joined our 'Transparent Agent' Scheme yet.

• "If only I had known about this site before..." is the most common comment we get posted from reviewers that have had a bad experience. So in response, allAgents has introduced the "transparent agent" scheme to help identify agents that are open about independent customer feedback and have nothing to hide. The scheme is FREE to join and as an incentive, allAgents will provide them with FREE LANDLORD & VENDOR ENQUIRES.

If however you do choose to use Countrywide Residential Lettings, please make them aware of the scheme and ask them to get in touch if they want to become a member. - Learn more about 'Transparent Agents'.

Get a valuation from one of our 'transparent agents'.
Learn More   Hide

• 10 recommend
  • 187 disapprove

League Table Rankings:

Agent Information

A description of Countrywide Residential Lettings is currently unavailable.

Page last updated on: 28-May-2015 11:38:08

Customer Reviews  (Page 1 of 7)

1. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    24 Sheep Street (Stratford-upon-Avon) (Warwickshire)
    Sarah Scaysbrook Lettings Manager
    CV37
    £875
    Sarah Scaysbrook Lettings Manager

These are the quintessential sharp practice agents. Absolutely extortionate. Read the small print. They assume the tenants are their property. They handle all tenant issues hopelessly and revert back to the landlord anyway. They have no hands on but use a call centre and stop work at 5pm weekdays. Somehow they manage to extort £600 EVEN AT the end of the year's tenancy. On top of their monthly fee AND the initial tenant finding fee at the commencement. Then they do nothing but collect their fee, all automated from a town at the other side of the country. I would say they score a zero. I trust the tenants far more than I trust these guys; they are the ugly face of huge corporate controlling. They actually told me I would be allowed to collect the rent at the end of their contract (what a surprise and thank you so much). I could write pages and pages. Do not use them

“EXTORTIONATE”

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“This would take too long.... not one good word to say about them...”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  2. A 1 -star review by ''

Property Management
    IG7
    Sold Price
    £100000
    Would you use the agent again? No

To be avoided at all costs. They hide behind every cock-and-bull excuse in order not to get work done (Electric gates took over 2 months), do not fulfil all the work required under the terms of the lease (roof inspection etc.) and do not tender work to 3 contractors as required by lease. enabling them to use their preferred contractors and maximise their commission on work. The communicate only with one director, who in turn never communicates with residents and no full annual accounts have ever been produced. This company has no moral integrity and will let your property fall into disrepair until things get critical and cost much more to fix. If you are considering using them I urge you to save yourself a lot of misery - don't do it.

3. 1

Branch:
    1 Winkley Street (Preston) (Lancashire)
    pR2
    Would you use the agent again? No

Initialy they were fine, we got the flat smoothly and moved in with no problems. Then the issues started. At first they simply ignored the issues we identified on moving in, such as advertised white goods not working properly, a sink leaking, the shed being full of rubbish from previous tennants etc. After chasing up for ages we got the sink fixed but nothing else. Then after our 6 months contract started reaching the end we got a new one, we went into the branch to sign and have it witnessed and handed it in there. It promptly got lost and whilst preston branch clearly new our moving... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“THE ACTUAL CONDITION OF THE APPLIENCES MEANT THIS PROPERTY SHOULD REALLY HAVE BEEN ON THE MARKET FOR A LOWER RENT.”

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“The actual condition of the appliences meant this property should really have been on the market for a lower rent.”

4. 3

Branch:
    38 Portsmouth Road Woolston (Southampton) (Hampshire)
    So18
    Would you use the agent again? No

I regret using them. They are completely incompetent. They have no idea about customer service. They did nothing right. Everything we ever asked them to do, they messed up and either just didn't do or even worse did the very opposite. They caused us so much additional stress with their incompetence. When you try and sort an issue out they never phone you back, they never apologise for things they did completely wrong and we were paying them to be our agents! They clearly think they can just take your money and not do anything. They are just about profit and basically don't care about anything else. The also think it's appropriate to just change your power suppliers without your knowledge, I assume they get some kind of commission from the energy supplier they swap you to. Do they think we are not going to notice they have changed supplier and just along with it! The cheek of it. The only way we can stop them treating people like this is by not using them. Please don't give them your buisness.

5. 3

A 2 -star review by ''

CH7
    £550
    Would you use the agent again? No

We were treated as a cash cow by this agent. Almost every month some amount of money would be deducted for various 'charges'. They charged for a boiler inspection (I said I would deal with that myself as my son is a plumber) so they charged me an 'admin fee' for accepting my sons inspection report. They charged ME £60 to send a report to the tax man! They charged ME for a tax statement, when I said my own accountant would deal with it. They charged me and my tenant over £100 to renew a contract (one piece of printed paper each). Beware if you agree to pay them 10%, they really mean 10%... (read more)

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  6. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    17 Woodford Road (Bramhall) (Stockport) (Cheshire)
    sk1
    £525
    Would you use the agent again? No

Shocking service, not helpful at all, promised phonecalls countless of time to let me know how they are dealing with my problems never received!! NEVER use them

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  7. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    26 London Road (Southampton) (Hampshire)
    SO51
    £1200
    Would you use the agent again? No

I have been a tenant of a property with Country Wide (Morris Diben) for 8 years. In this time they were meant to carry out a 6 monthly property check. They did it 3 times. After this, we had excuses from, We cant find the keys, we have no staff to carry out the check but will call next week, (they never did), and even, our staff could not find the property, we got LOST.
    Also, we have never had our tenancy agreement renewed for the last 5 years. Shocking. I can only say I am glad I am only the tenant and not the landlord. He has wasted his money for 8 years.

Comments on the Agents fees

“BEST PRICE FOR THE TENANT, NOT THE LANDLORD. HE PAID A % TO THEM FOR NOTHING.”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  8. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    65/66 Long Row (City Centre) (Nottingham) (Nottinghamshire)
    LE11
    £535
    Would you use the agent again? No

Letting through this Estate Agents (alongside Frank Innes) has been one of the most stressful times in my life. We had a renewal contract sent out at the beginning of December. We immediately phoned up to ask to pay monthly (we had previously paid 6 months upfront). My partner spoke to a lady who assured us she would contact the landlord and ask for us. She also stated that if she didn't hear within 7 days she would try phoning him

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  9. A 5 -star review by ''

Branch:
    30 High Street (Bromley) (Greater London)
    Joanne Thompson
    BR3
    £900
    Would you use the agent again? Yes
    Joanne Thompson

Joanne provided a first class service in managing a new boiler installation on our behalf with a rental property.
    Her energy, diligence and professional expertise has enabled a difficult installation and a significant contractor relationship to be managed in an expert manner. I would have no hesitation in recommending the manner in which she has represented our interests together with those of the tenant to achieve a successful outcome.
    Joanne has provided an equal level of support with our other rental properties. We have the utmost confidence in her abilities as she has never once let us down.
    It is so unusual these days to get such good customer service; she is a credit to her organisation.
    I would have no hesitation in recommending Joanne to other landlords and tenants.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  10. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    1 Euston Place (Leamington Spa) (Warwickshire)
    Vikash Kumur
    B60
    Vikash Kumur

Delayed giving my deposit back despite numerous calls (can prove this with my phone records). Unprofessional service, Vikash Kumur sent an email about MY DEPOSIT to the new tenant of the flat and cc'd me in. Their IT/Phone equipment is not fit for purpose as it was always down when I tried to contact them. Had to resort to contacting them via Dixon in Redditch.

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“Try being honest and fair by returning deposits promptly. Try being proactive and asking how you want the fund returned. Try being professional and contact the right person when you are dealing with your clients. Try reading the Data Protection Act.”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  11. How much is my property worth?

12. 4

DA1
    £735
    Would you use the agent again? No

Absolutely Awful experience. I was charged ridiculous fees from the outset and to top it all off, have been conned out of £75 for a false claim on the inventory report. I wonder if anyone else out there has been scammed with the "Iron Burn Mark" claim? The pictures on the report made it clear it wasn't, yet Countrywide were adamant of a "iron shaped burn" mark. I gave in after 14 emails later.

STAY AWAY from Countrywide, just appalling. Would give 0 stars if possible.

13. View All Comments (1)by Laura  04/02/2015

Would love to speak to smp123 regarding his experience. They have told us we have left an iron burn too! We havent! We had this experience in December too. Really want to find out your experience. Please email me kellysclosetuk@aol.com
  14. A 5 -star review by ''

Branch:
    42 High Street (Esher) (Esher) (Greater London)
    Liani Mannifield, Donna Paraskeva
    KT8
    £3000
    Would you use the agent again? Yes
    Liani MannifieldDonna Paraskeva

Thanks to Donna Paraskeva, Liani Mannifield and Victoria Hanlon we have managed to find the perfect house for us to rent. I was impressed by their professionalism, reactivity and willingness to support us eventhough we were only potential tenants. Donna and Liani were very efficient in processing our application and follow it through eventhough our owners live in Asia Pacific and were willing to advocate our case (we had a pet) with the owners and ultimately got their approval. They were always available to us, answering our questions on utilities for instance and liaising appropriately with the owners when they did not have the answers. The first letter I received in our house for instance was a warm welcome from Donna! We had a bank issue as we only recently moved to UK and Victoria managed our case very professionnaly, understandingly she was regularly checking the status of our transfer but always in a very courteous and open manner. I am really glad that our owners chose Gascoygne Pees Esher to manage their property as it is always a pleasure to contact them.

15. 5

Branch:
    14 Market Place (Chippenham) (Wiltshire)
    Anita England
    SN11
    £1300
    Anita England

Unbelievably bad - do not use under any circumstances.
    1. They charged the tenants the wrong rental for 3 months
    2. They accused the tenants of lying about the rent - although they had the bank statements saying what was paid.
    3. Their admin was terrible.
    4. We terminated the rental (having paid the £450 termination fee) some months ago. They are now taking the tenants to court for none payment of rent for the last 3 months. WHICH BIT OF WE ARE NOT USING ANY MORE do they not get ????????

“INDUSTRY STANDARD”

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“Close their branch down”

16. 2

Ip6
    Would you use the agent again? No

Used Abbotts/ countrywide as fully managed service for 3 properties. few minor issues initially ( missing statements, received other landlord statements....) should have known this was start of things to come. Managed service turns out to be glorified telephone answering facility where messages take several weeks (yes weeks) to be transferred, even when tenant reported a small leak.. Unable to resolve smallest tenant issue, even stating they didn't know what to do but offering to give me tenants phone number so I could resolve.
    Checkout process non existent, inventory not used or referenced. Had to re inventory myself highlighting 30 plus items that could be seen without entering rooms.
    Renewal contracts not issued correctly. Disputed impact of superstrike claiming no requirement to reissue protection docs when under separate letter they advised this needed to be done and imposed a 75% increase in deposit protection fee to cover admin.

Avoid at all cost.

Properties now managed by small local agent who know how to provide a service

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“Provide service being charged for”

17. 3

Branch:
    14 Market Square (Bicester) (Oxford) (Oxfordshire)
    Ox26
    £700
    Would you use the agent again? No

A truly horrendous estate agent - have charged us £600 in letting admin fees - most of which were hidden until we had put down a hefty deposit - unable to respond to phone calls or emails - tried to keep our deposit at the end of the tenancy with false claims - stay well away!

Comments on the Agents fees

“PAID £600 IN ADMIN FEES WHICH WERE NEVER DISCLOSED UNTIL WE HAD GIVEN THEM OUR DEPOSIT”

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“Get some morels and stop taking people\'s money?”

18. 4

Branch:
    108 Whiteladies Road (Bristol) (North Somerset)
    Rhiannon Walker, Justin McBarnet
    bs6
    £850
    Rhiannon WalkerJustin McBarnet

I have never experienced such incompetency or downright scamming. They're very careful to operate under the name 'Alder King' rather than Countrywide Residential Lettings, aren't they?! I don't even know where to begin, it was a disaster from the very start.

1) Me and my housemate go to look at a flat. They have "the wrong keys" but oh-so-conveniently there is a flat down the road a liiiittle bit above our max renting price. Would we like to look? As it happens we do, and we like it, so we end up taking it.
    2) We pay a deposit. I send an email asking a few qs about moving in in... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“RIDICULOUS SEEING AS WE ENDED UP DOING MOST OF THEIR JOB FOR THEM.”

“Not existed”

19. 1

Branch:
    760 Leabridge Road (Walthamstow) (London) (Greater London)
    E17
    £925
    Chris Williams

Do not use Countrywide. They are incompetent in handling the simplest of tasks and have a habit of over-charging. As a landlord of numerous properties, with various agents, they are without doubt the worst I have experienced. You have been warned.

Comments on the Agents fees

“LOTS OF HIDDEN FEES WITH ADD UP OVER TIME.”

20. 2

Branch:
    98 Barlow Moor Road Didsbury (Didsbury) (Manchester) (Greater Manchester)
    L5
    £675
    Would you use the agent again? No

Appalling service from Countrywide. They don't phone back when you leave messages despite saying they will. Took many weeks to get the oven fixed in our property. Was told they couldn't deal with my problem as the person dealing with our problem was on holiday so we had to wait till they were back before anything further could be done. Didn't apologise until I sent a formal complaint and even then did not consider compensation for the huge inconvenienced caused.
    I think the number of poor reviews they have confirms what I have also found - terrible customer service. I will never rent a property from a company which uses them again.

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“Improve customer service. Compensate tenants when they have been badly treated and receive poor service.”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  21. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    65/66 Long Row (City Centre) (Nottingham) (Nottinghamshire)
    SW18
    £1400
    Would you use the agent again? No

In Sept 2012, I signed a contract with JDWoods Ltd as my full management letting agent., and everything was fine until end Oct 2013.. Suddenly I started getting financial statements from Countrywide Residential lettings - no explanation was given for this change but many mistakes were made ...
    - my accountant was no longer cc'ed on the statements
    - An additional hot water/heating payment from the tenants was continually getting lost in their accounts and not paid to me
    - And finally to-day (almost a year later) I have learned that the CRL HMRC reference number is not the same as for JDWood. This leaves me in a very awkward position vis a vis HMRC as ı am supposed to inform them of any changes.

What makes it worse is that there has not been a single apology for all this lack of diligence

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“They should have informed me of the change over and all its implications up front”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  22. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    38 Portsmouth Road Woolston (Southampton) (Hampshire)
    SO22
    £1400
    Would you use the agent again? No

I have received nothing other than appalling service from Countrywide letting agents. Unfortunately I have never dealt with such a shoddy, disorganised and obnoxious company. I'm thrilled to have moved out of the frankly deplapodated property that I was renting from them. Despite this, I am appalled that this company are withholding nearly £2000 of our deposit as they simply can't be bothered to send it back, and claim to have not received emails sent six times. A truly disgusting company - if you value your home, finances or safety stay far, far away.

“RIDICULOUS. ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS.”

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“Change literally everything about your company. The manner in which I have been dealt with has been sickening. You treat people like dirt on the floor and it\'s disgusting. You are easily the rudest company I\'ve ever dealt with.”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  23. How much is my property worth?

FREE valuation
  24. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    42 High Street (Esher) (Esher) (Greater London)
    John Gill, Charlotte Bradshaw
    Kt10
    £2500
    John GillCharlotte Bradshaw

We started renting a property that before we even stepped foot in the place had a leaking roof, dodgy electrics in a toilet, an unsafe fireplace. We are professional people who pride ourself on our home and had only had to rent while we did up another property. My wife was pregnant and we had two children already. It has been horrendous. They have left us in a house with water falling through the ceiling and a new born. They havent responded to our claims for abatement and damage to items and now we have moved on and left the house in a better state than when we arrived the landlord is asking... (read more)

“DREADFUL”

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“Awful. Almost operating illegally from my experience.”

Report Abuse 3 Uploads Feature This Review
  25. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    108 Whiteladies Road (Bristol) (North Somerset)
    bs5
    Would you use the agent again? No

Appalling service and incredibly high fees. Impossible to get through on the phone. I would go out of my way never to rent a property where the landlord was using this agent. Money deducted from deposit for 'fees' which I was never aware of....my list of complaints could go on and on.

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  26. A 1 -star review by ''

Stephen Christopher
    SM4
    £950
    Stephen Christopher

What a completely frustrating two years at this property. This Stephen Christopher promised to sort out the council tax and utility bills and to be fair he did do the council tax. The utility bills were supposedly transferred but with no information as to who the new service provider was or when we would get the bill. After three months of moving in and not receiving any utility bills, I contacted Stephen Christopher to ask about the status of the utility bills. I was told that due to a dispute with previous service providers they had been unable to start the meter readings. After struggling for a whole year I was finally able to receive a utility bill after contacting the energy company myself. In addition, countrywide failed to adequately fix a significant problem with damp in the house, didn't fix the plumbing issues in the bathroom or repair the main door after it was damaged. These problems were left unresolved over the course of the two years that we stayed at the property

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  27. A 1 -star review by ''

S20
    £695
    Would you use the agent again? No

Blundells, a trading arm of Countrywide Residential Lettings Ltd provided a ‘fully managed property service' for us over the last 3 years, charging 10% of the rental for their services. We were led to believe that they would ensure our property (previously our home) was being well looked after by the tenants while we were out of the country, or at least advise us otherwise.

The property was always (according to Blundells/Countrywide) ‘well maintained and looked after', but 3 years and 2 tenants later, we have had hundreds of pound's worth of belongings stolen, and thousands of... (read more)

Comments on the Agents fees

“WITH THE EXCEPTION OF RENT COLLECTION WE FEEL WE PAID £69 A MONTH FOR THEM TO OVERSEE THEFT, NEGLECT AND DETERIORATION TO OUR PROPERTY OVER A 3 YEAR PERIOD”

What could Countrywide Residential Lettings do to change your mind??

“Our property managers should have been managing our property in accordance with the tenancy agreement. They should have ensured that \'the property was kept clean and well aired at all times\'. When it clearly wasn\'t they should have informed us and given us chance to end the tenancy. I know we all have personal standards on cleanliness, but Blundells/Countrywide\'s tolerance of filth and grime is breathtaking. Perhaps sending our property managers on a refresher course to be able to spot the difference between a well maintained, and a neglected property, may help them to provide a better service”

28. 1

Branch:
    142 The Grove (Stratford) (London) (Greater London)
    E10
    £850
    Chris Williams

I vacated the property on the 31st of July and the final check out was done on the same day. During check out I was advised that the property was immaculate and I should receive my deposit back within 7 working days. This came and went without me hearing anything from countrywide. I tried to contact them several times but was always told the person dealing with my property was busy and would call me back, but they never did. I eventually reached chris Williams who advised me that countrywide would do nothing further until the landlord had confirmed he was happy for the deposit to be released,... (read more)

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  29. A 1 -star review by ''

GL2
    £580
    Would you use the agent again? No

Almost 8 weeks after moving out still not recieved our deposit back we have not recieved any calls from him he occasionally e-mails about once every 1-2 weeks. We have to continually ring him only to leave countless answerphone messages requesting call back which never happens. He seems totally uncomitted to any standard of customer service. We have requested a managers number and complaints number but so far nothing. To put it bluntly he is pretty much ignoring us!!!!

Comments on the Agents fees

“WE WERE CHARGED £125 FOR A 6 MONTH EXTENSION TO OUR CONTRACT WHERE AS MOST OTHER AGENTS WE HAVE DEALT WITH CHARGE £50 ALSO HAD TO PAY 6 MOBTHS RENT UP FRONT EACH TERM OF TENANCY AS THEY WOULDNT ACCEPT CREDIT RATING WHICH WAS FINE WITH NEW AGENTS.”

30. 1

Branch:
    113 Old Christchurch Road (Bournemouth) (Dorset)
    Karen Akerman, Ross Aubin
    BH1
    Karen AkermanRoss Aubin

Well what can I say about the total incompetence of this agency and its staff. Not only do they never respond to emails or enquiries, they also try to pass the buck to anyone else.

I would not recommend using this Letting Agency to anyone who wanted to receive a professional full management service. Whilst they are happy to take 10% charges for full management they actually do nothing for the privilage.

Comments on the Agents fees

“IM HAPPY TO PAY FEES IF I CAN GUARANTEE TO RECEIVE THE SERVICE THAT IS OFFERED”

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  31. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    66-70 London Road Stockton Heath (Stockton Heath) (Warrington) (Cheshire)
    WA4
    Would you use the agent again? No

ZERO STAR RATING!! Please stay clear of this agency. I never post complaints but feel so passionately about this company I had to let other people know to make sure people steer well clear. Ask your prospective letting agent who they contract to manage the property and if they say Countrywide politely says 'No thanks' and leave. it's not worth your time or money getting involved in this joke of a company. In Warrington this applies to Bridgfords.

I had a broken hot tap that meant I had to keep turning on the mains water supply when I need water. for over two months this went on and... (read more)

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  32. A 1 -star review by ''

cr0
    £300
    Would you use the agent again? No

Back in 2006, I was on a joint tenancy with two others, under an AST with fixed term for one year.

On the eighth month, I put in a notice to leave the contract due to problems with my flatmates. There was this option to surrender the contract with every party's agreement, but Countrywide Croydon branch staff failed to do it. Failing that, the notice should have served as an adequate one to terminate the contract at the end of the fixed term.

However, Countrywide Croydon branch failed to terminate the contract upon repeated request, withholding my deposit and dragging me into the... (read more)

Report Abuse 0 Uploads Feature This Review
  33. A 1 -star review by ''

Branch:
    48 Granby Street (Leicester) (Leicestershire)
    Jack Smith
    LE1
    £600
    Jack Smith

If I could give -1 I would. After being convinced the apartment we were looking at was only available for a short period of time we have been left with nothing but problems. Spencer Countrywide lack of communication is appalling, we were given none of the information that matters about the apartment we ended up letting.
    The apartment in the exchange itself is ok apart from the plumbing, we were left for numerous days with no water at all and sewage filling our bathroom and kitchen sink, even though speaking to employees at the Spencer's leicester who just passed the blame or told us they... (read more)

“A JOKE!”