...left to get your reviews in for the 2018 Estate & Letting Agent Awards

Apr 13,2014
By: 'Dawn'
Apr 13,2014
AT LEAST DICK TURPIN WORE A MASK!!

Not so *Let Direct NE
I met up with David at the above property at the pre-arranged time of 1 pm on Wednesday 2 April 2014.
The property was in a state of slight disrepair with wallpaper peeling off the walls in both the main bedroom and the living room (there was also a bin bag stuffed with an old duvet left in the bedroom); loose/bunched up carpet in the main bedroom and the passage cupboard was filled with various paint cans and assorted rubbish.
I may be wrong but I thought that it was a pre-requisite of any Letting Agent to clean a property before allowing it to be viewed; not in this case. Having previously worked in an Estate Agency myself, we never showed a property until it had been cleaned and cleared throughout.
Still, even though this property was not up to my exacting standards, I decided to take the tenancy as, due to serious health problems I am desperate to move as soon as possible. After learning that the \'Admin Fee\' was ‚£195 I offered to pay the cash there-and-then as I wanted to secure the property. David went to his car and returned with a folder containing, I believed, a receipt book; I was wrong.
After counting out the money into David\'s hand he took down my address and said that a receipt would be sent, along with an application form to be by post. I must admit that alarm bells rang when I didn't receive a receipt immediately but dismissed my concerns as I was extremely exhausted at the time (not having slept for three days).

The following evening I received a distressing telephone call from a very close family member detailing an upsetting diagnosis which they had received. Because of this I immediately afterwards emailed Let Direct NE (addressing the email FAO David); explaining the change in my circumstances; apologising for any inconvenience caused and explained that as I was to take over the caring role of said family member I would not be able to take up the tenancy as my family member lives outside of the area. I asked if, under the circumstances, I could received a full refund (I am, after all, on benefits and can ill afford to lose such a large amount of money).

When, by Saturday - three days after I had met with David and paid him ‚£195, I had not received the promised receipt and application form, I again contacted the agency; still no response. A few days later I had still not heard from anyone in the office I rang and left a message for David stating that I was going to call the police. Lo-and-behold; the following morning David rang me and said that he had been away for a few days and just received my messages - an obvious lie but one I let slide as I had no firm proof of this; though why no-one in the office had replied to my emails and telephone messages was not explained.

When I asked David why I had not received my receipt of application form, he was unable to answer and so I asked him again, to send me a receipt and was ignored again.

Since then I have sent further emails requesting a receipt; nothing. After leaving another telephone message for David in which I called him a thief; he rang me on Friday morning and said that I had to send a written complaint to the office. I asked him again; why I had not received a receipt and he tried to fob me off by saying that he had put off other prospective tenants once I had decided to accept the property - another lie; I let him know the following evening of the change in my circumstances and today the property is still listed. I asked him why he had not, upon taking receipt of my money returned to the office (as he had told me he was going to do); and handed over the money to whoever dealt with the accounts and arranged for the receipt and application to me that day - that should, after all, have been his first order of business before attending to his other duties. He ignored me.

I have written a letter of complaint but hold out little hope of achieving a satisfactory result. I do, however, intend to take this matter further as not only has David openly stolen from me but he has clearly not put this money through the books.

For a family run company that describes itself as friendly and professional; Let Direct NE is anything but.

Yes, it was stupid of me to hand over cash without obtaining a receipt but, that aside, there is no excuse for theft. David clearly saw me as an ill and vulnerable woman, someone he thought he could steal from and get away with it; he was wrong.

Protect yourselves, and DO NOT entertain this company.
They could have firstly, sent me a receipt as well as responded to my emails and treat me with a little respect. I did, after all, play fair with them. Also, given the reason behind my change of circumstances (I do not wish to go into too much detail in order to protect said family member); I do not feel that my request for a full refund was asking too much. I would have thought far more of David had he at least offered me a partial refund; yet he refuses flat out to even discuss the issue of the money which I paid him. I am utterly disgusted at the treatment which I have received from him.
Attached Files
By: Disgusted tenant
Jul 03, 2018
We had reported many issues to Let Direct NE many times but to no avail.Last Saturday, after friday night out, we returned home to find water running into our kitchen and living room. We went upstairs to find ceilings down in 2 out of 3 bedrooms and all of our property completely destroyed. My poor 10 year old has lost almost everything. Her toys, clothes, bed and TV just to mention a few things. After many phone calls throughout the day to Let Direct NE we finally got a call back at around 3 o'clock to be told to wait til monday for things to be sorted. Keeping in mind that the property had water coming in at a ridiculously fast rate and live elecrtics. After over a week long battle with them Im still a paying tenant of a house that is uninhabitable, so I'm homeless with my 10 year old and 15 week old baby. I have been strung along and had more lies told to me and told that the most important thing is the property! Not my belongings or the fact im homeless. "The likes of me" should just wait til things are sorted. Anyway, after this I still tried to be accommodating and went to the property today to let in the assessor from my landlords insurance company. After listening to Michael lie to the assessor and being talked down to (a common occurrence) and hushed when asking questions I was told I still wouldnt have anywhere to live with my children. So I was obviously annoyed. Trying again to ask questions i was spoke to like I was a complete idiot so I asked the letting agent (michael) and assessor to leave and come back at a later date or find the keys that Let Direct NE have lost and return when Im not there, I was snapped at that it would slow things down for the landlord.. at this point I no longer cared and asked them again to leave only to be called a stupid nigger. Both Michael and the snotty assessor then proceeded to measure things up outside, completed ignoring the fact I had asked them to leave the property. After complaining to Let Direct NE and my fella (quite rightly) rang up annoyed to complain and defend me we were repeatedly hung up on. We went to the Let Direct NE office at Low Fell only to find Michael locking the door on me and refusing "the likes of me" entry to the office. I was talked at through a pane of glass and told the police were coming. We also received a phone call from a lovely police man from Gateshead police about my parnters "threatening behaviour" on the phone. Once I explained the situation and told him what was happening I then tried again to go back into the office to sort stuff out. My "threatening" fella even saying he would wait outside with our baby, only to be shouted at that the police were on their way! I waited for the police but SURPRISE! They never turned up. So we left. Still no further forward. The way things are run by these so called professional letting agents is a complete disgrace! They dont even abide by the law when it comes to tenants and the way things are ran. what has occurred is nothing but racial discrimination. Looking back now my baby being called a "monkey" is clearly to do with her race. Let Direct NE should be closed down and Michael should not be allowed to work with the public. After sending a formal complaint via email I received a response obviously denying any racial abuse and discrimination and basically calling me a liar.

Let Direct NE