Jan 14,2014
By: 'ametisto'
Jan 14,2014
Contacted Westcliff Estates because needed short term accommodation for 8 weeks. They told me the had something for me and asked for a £200 DEPOSIT. The email clearly stated "deposit" not "fee" or something like that. Made an appointment 4 weeks later and when I arrived, the person I dealt with (Bryan Baxter) wasn\'t there. Turned out he had his day off. He eventually arrived in his pajamas, dropped me off at an old church that had been converted into some kind of hotel/apartment house and disappeared, never to be seen again. Spoke to the Hotel Manager and paid my bills on a weekly basis. At the end of the 8 weeks I asked for my deposit back and was told that I never paid one. Informed the manager that I had paid my deposit to Westcliff Estates, upon which he informed me that they shouldn\'t have taken a deposit in the first place since they had nothing to do with the hotel. I then went to confront Westcliff Estates and asked for my deposit back. The reply I got from the branch manager was: "It wasn\'t a deposit, it was commission fee. If you want your money back, you\'ll have to speak to your lawyer". A couple of days later I received a call from Bryan Baxter who wasn\'t working at WC Estates any longer and conveniently couldn\'t remember who I was. He called me an idiot on the phone and said that I shouldn\'t complain because I got a good deal. Funnily enough, I received the phone call when I was in a meeting with a citizen\'s advice officer and he overheard the entire conversation.
Long story short, only after I wrote an official letter threatening to pass the matter on to the Ombudsman did WC Estates agree to refund the money. Luckily I had all email conversations with Mr Baxter on file.

Westcliff Estates