Nov 11,2013
By: 'Ro'
Nov 11,2013
I expressed an interest in this property when it was under offer. I was then contacted by the agent for an urgent viewing when the property was re-advertised. I cancelled all other viewings to attend an immediate appointment and made a full cash offer. I was contacted later that day to be told my offer was accepted subject to me emailing confidential information proving the cash funds and details of Solicitors. All information was provided without delay. Having provided the requested information I then heard nothing further. When I contacted the agent the next day I was only then told another offer had been received (after mine was accepted) asking me to increase the offer which I had been told was accepted and to put down an immediate non-refundable £5000 deposit! Needless to say I withdrew my offer. DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS AGENT. If you see a property you want, do a Land Registry search which is £3 and put your offer directly to the vendor. This is what I intend to do. Agents are not to be trusted. I guess this is why estate agents have such a bad reputation. The government needs to regulate this industry.
Agents should act in good faith. If a full cash price offer is made on a property the agent has a duty to put that offer to the vendor without delay and not use it to drum up higher offers before putting it to the vendor. The agent should not extract confidential information and bank details from customers (which they may then sell on) and agents should not demand non-refundable deposits of ‚£5000. I will be taking this further.
Attached Files
By: Lars
Nov 13, 2013
Dear Ro - I believe your email is in reference to Eric Street that you offered on. Yes, your offer was accepted by the owner and we said we would take the property off the market as soon as we had seen proof of your cash funds - something we are legally obliged to obtain. You did supply these to us in good time however, in the interim period of your offer being accepted we received another offer from a buyer who had actually seen the property prior to yourself. As estate agents we are legally obliged to submit ALL offers to our clients regardless if an offer has already been accepted and reagrdless of how far a sale has progressed. This is our duty and rightly so, imagine if you were aseller and your agent did not declare ALL offers to you, how would you feel. We are legally bound to submit ALL offers and its then up to the seller how they wish to proceed.

Keatons