Oct 22,2013
John
By: 'Previous Tenant'
Oct 22,2013
Where to start? I began renting a property through Manning Stainton in January 2013 from their Morley office with John Sheader as my ¢â‚¬ËœProperty Manager'. It is by far the biggest mistake myself and my partner have ever made- So much that we decided to buy a house as opposed to ever renting again and this was our first rental property.
To begin with the property was advertised as ready to move in, this was in Dec 2012 and we moved in in Jan 13. The property itself was completed to an extremely high standard and we were very pleased. However the apartment building itself was not. By far the most annoying experience was on the day we moved in when we discovered that there was no locks on the main entrances to the building and no intercom (as this was being handmade in Italy) as a result of this the landlord has appointed a security guard to secure the building ¢â‚¬â€œ by this I mean he propped up the doors with would and bolted the main entrance, we had to ask him to leave. We reported this to Manning Stainton and it took well over a week to resolve. This was just a taste of what was to come.
The service received from Manning during our 10 month tenancy was terrible. Reporting the simplest of issues was tiresome and they were rarely resolved ¢â‚¬â€œ we had a leaking sink for 10 months. I would estimate we had to ring the property manager at least four times a week; although this was often a waste of time as we never got the response we needed.
Several of the tenants enjoyed smoking cannabis in the underground car park of the building ¢â‚¬â€œ We reported this on several occasion but the issue was never resolved ¢â‚¬â€œ Basically it was out of their hands.
As was the situation were our car was vandalised; we reported the issue and never ever came of it. Whenever an issue was raised with the property manager we generally had to chase him for a response ¢â‚¬â€œ that's if they would even pick up the phone. Most times we would have to copy in his manager to ensure any emails were responded to. On several occasion we would have to phone the rental office and ask to be put through to the main office just so we could get hold of someone.
In the end we had had enough; anything we reported was generally ignored or not taken seriously ¢â‚¬â€œ I understand the difficult position they are in; it is generally the landlord the makes the decision. However once the landlord had decided to end our tenancy I finally got the chance to meet him (nice bloke) however he informed me that most of the issues we had raised (drugs being taken by tenants in the communal areas, kids taking drugs in the car park, vandalism, verbal abuse from other tenants) he was blissfully unaware of ¢â‚¬â€œ I doubt the issues ever made it through.
Now it has been 20 days since the end of my tenancy and 6 days ago the landlord agreed to a full refund of the deposit ¢â‚¬â€œ however I have been informed today they Manning have only just (today) started the transfer of the money ¢â‚¬â€œ 6 days after it was agreed. Even know when we don't have to deal with them; we are still suffering from their inadequacies. Usually I wouldn't write a review but the deposit was the last straw; we feel extremely let down by Manning Stainton lettings.
However I would like to point out that we decided to purchase our house through Manning Stainton and I am pleased to say that we received an excellent service from them. If you're buying a house I would recommend them. If your renting ¢â‚¬â€œ I would recommend buying a house.
Attachments

By: Peter Cowen
Oct 25, 2013
Dear James
Thank you for the opportunity to speak with you today so that I could listen to and better understand your concerns regarding your tenancy. I acknowledge the sometimes challenging nature of the tenancy and wish to reassure you again that we did all that we could to manage and facilitate a successful tenancy on behalf of your landlord. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our sales office and on behalf of the whole Manning Stainton team we wish you every success and happiness in your new home.
Peter Cowen