Oct 11,2013
By: 'pgmanlow'
Oct 11,2013
Been renting for over ten years, never worked with a company so incompetent, sloppy and immoral.

When we were moving out they said they did not have an inspector who could look at the property before we left. But one, a Richard Wilson, LET HIMSELF IN without our permission on our final day. He saw that we had a three-person team cleaning the property, and even offered us advice on what we were missing with the cleaning. We brought extra materials to make sure we cleaned it to his complete satisfaction. He then returned to inspect it after we'd left to take photos for the Deposit Protection Scheme. Despite our photos showing the house to be very clean throughout, he took 60 photos of under the beds and behind the appliances, which he sent off, with not ONE photo of a whole room to put them in context. We were then told that 260 pounds of our deposit was being retained for cleaning as a result of the pictures he'd submitted.

When I raised issue with Let's Live Here, their manager, Becki Naylor, insisted that the flat had been left filthy and they wouldn't be refunding 260 pounds of the deposit. She was rude enough to say ¢â‚¬Ëœif it was so easy to clean under the beds, why didn't you do it?' despite me arguing that £260 was not required for such light, quick remaining cleaning. Let's Live Here produced an invoice for a cleaning company, which detailed cleaning for parts of the flat Richard Wilson had SEEN us cleaning, an invoice which had no contact details, website or listings. When I mentioned the legal support I was seeking on this matter, and the advice I had taken from a Housing Officer at my university, Becki Naylor demanded who was advising me and called their validity into question.

I then replied with my solicitors name, and the housing officer's name, requesting contact details for the cleaning company on their invoice so my solicitor could speak to them as a matter of legal record. They did not only not supply this but from then on I had no reply from them, and all emails to them bounced back, and letters were not replied to.

I was advised by the housing officer at my uni that £260 for cleaning parts of such a small flat was excessive, requested a review from the DPS, and got a refund. The DPS noted they were unconvinced by the ¢â‚¬Ëœinvoice' produced by Let's Live Here and the validity of their unsigned, undated and (in my view) out of context photos.

My advice is DON¢â‚¬ÂT USE THEM. The government are moving to prevent this type of practice taking place. You would think that such a small business would strive to build a decent, honest reputation but Let's Live Here clearly think they are above such practices. If you are with them TAKE PHOTOS of EVERY ASPECT of the property, even under beds and behind appliances, and DISPUTE IT when they try to retain. In this day and age it is remarkable that such a small company thinks it can act this way and survive when there are so many competent firms around.
Not tried to retain such an excessive amount for cleaning, even when challenged. Not produce invoices for cleaning that contradict what their own staff have seen, invoices which lack contact details. They could answer email correspondences. They could not call the validity of our sources into question. They could not let themselves into the house without permission.
Attached Files