Oct 11,2010
By: 'thomas'
Oct 11,2010
Appalling service. I have never experienced such poor service from an letting agents. Before moving in they promised to furnish a room with a double bed. When I moved in there was (surprise, surprise no double bed). Apparently the landlord refused to provide one and yet they still went ahead with the contract. After a few weeks they did provide a double bed as we pointed out to them it was in the signed contract. Unfortunately this resulted in us having a single bed in our living room for 3 months. Skampi said they needed to put it into storage but never got around to it. Eventually after several complaints they threw the single bed away.

When we moved in the flat was very dirty and had not been cleaned. We also had a rat infestation and it took several failed contacts with Skampi before they bothered to sort out the issue (and when they did they were very rude to us).

Upon moving out they insisted that I take time off work in order to sign a document (completing it during the evening or the next day - Saturday - would result in me paying extra rent). Half an hour prior to the meeting, we received a call from Skampi cancelling the meeting and that we could reschedule the meeting to Saturday after all! I received no apologies for the fact that I had lost several hours' wages.

Prior to moving out we paid for a professional cleaning service to thoroughly clean the flat. Skampi then claimed that the flat was dirty and charged extra for cleaning without photographic evidence.
By: Jay
Aug 18, 2011
This is quite amusing. I had a very similar experience to the above, only worse.

I was asked to pay a £500 'holding deposit' in addition to the extortionate agency fee. For my money I was completely kept in the dark as to the status of my application until literally a couple of days before my move in date, despite repeated requests for an update of the progress.

I was promised a sofa as part of my contract. On my arrival there was so sofa. I politely asked for this to be rectified, then I was fobbed off for several weeks. In the end it took about a month for the sofa to arrive. In the meantime I had the luxury of entertaining my friends on the floor, and watching television from my computer chair.

It gets worse. I was called to inform me that my debit card transaction for the deposit had allegedly not gone through, and was asked if I could put it to again. I agreed. A few days later I checked my statement to find that I had been double charged!

Instead of rectifying this in a timely manner, they took 5 days to send me a check which obviously took several further days to clear.

The letting agent I dealt with, apart from being rude, was incredibly incompetent.

Do not touch these clowns with a barge pole!

Skampi