Aug 24,2010
Aug 24,2010
Having suffered greatly at the hands of a previous landlord which involved solicitors letters I entered into a contract with Atkinson McLeod with trepidation, all the while constantly asking for reassurance that I would not suffer like that again. Unfortunately this was not to be the case. The house was in a disgusting state when I moved in (mouldy cheese in fridge, used sheets on the bed, curry smeared on an inside door etc.) despite repeatedly asking that this be done before entering. We were told water bills were included by the agent which proved to be false and he denied ever saying it. The rent agreed had suddenly changed (only by a small amount) when handed the contract. During the tenancy the heating broke during winter and was not fixed for several weeks following multiple emails and phone calls and various failed visits to "see" the problem but not actually fix it. Eventually we were told the landlord could not afford to have it fixed properly! If a landlord can't afford it they shouldn't have been dealing with him quite frankly.

Wanted a 12 month break clause but were told 18 months was standard on a 2yr lease and not negotiable. Expressed concern but was told if there were any issues it was usually quite easy to negotiate leaving with the landlord so not to worry. Typically needed to leave 2 months before break clause... and have been through hell and high water to make it happen to the point of being "tricked" out of our entire deposit as a result!

Absolutely incompetent. I've been messed around, lied to and tricked out of huge sums of money by a greedy landlord and this incompetent agency. I highly recommend they are avoided at all costs.. at least for lettings!
By: Dan McLeod
Sep 02, 2010
As advised it is the responsibility of the outgoing tenants to ensure the property is left in an acceptable condition. An agent should not be judged on how its tenants choose to live.

We can only strive to ensure all our properties are in good condition for new move ins. As cleans need to be authorised by landlord/tenant we either require funds on account or an agreement on the damage deposit before this can be booked. This is why a clean cannot always be carried out.

I would be happy to discuss your problems in more detail on my direct email below:
By: Liam
Aug 29, 2010
My comment is to Mr McLeod rather than the OP -

That is absolute nonsense. Our flat was also filthy when we moved in and we know for a fact that it was your property previously. We know our flat has a high tenancy turnover due to your company's atrocious practices and have suffered an inexcusable breach of contract at the hands of your company.

I feel that if you think your company is so squeaky clean and absolved of responsibility for the numerous and similar complaints listed here, your company and staff are due for review.
By: Dan McLeod
Aug 26, 2010
Dear Rich,

I am sorry to hear you did not have a pleasant letting experience with our Agency. We always strive to ensure properties are in the best condition possible before moving tenants in however where the tenancy has been inherited from a different agency this is not always possible. We do not have the power to enforce a professional clean is carried out and do not carry out the check out reports for the previous tenancy so we have to hope the property has been respected and left in the same condition we expect from our own tenants. We are not in a position to carry out a professional clean without the authorisation of the landlord.

Our property management department made all reasonable attempts to aid you in the repair of the broken heater and I can confirm the Landlord spent hundreds of pounds in his attempts to carry out the repairs you requested. It came to the stage that the whole system would have needed to be replaced to complete the repairs and this cost exceeded any funds the landlord had available after spending such a substantial sum in the first instance.

A 14 month minimum term is standard to an 18 month agreement and if you were not happy with this you could have agreed to an initial 12 month agreement with an 8 month break clause. As you have chosen to leave before the minimum expires you are liable for the administration fees set out in the contract you initially read and signed.

Please feel free to contact me if you feel I can be of any further help.

You can use this form to reply to the above review or a displayed comment on the above review. PLEASE NOTE! This is not the page to leave a new review of Atkinson McLeod Canary Wharf! To leave a new review of Atkinson McLeod Canary Wharf, please click the link below !
Write a review for Atkinson McLeod Canary Wharf