Jul 15,2013
Jul 15,2013
As the Landlord, I stipulated in my instructions that they Martin & Co should not sign tenancy agreement on my behalf but they did. Martin & Co then installed a convicted criminal in my property that was known to them, the police, and the council. They did NOT even reference the tenant, who sublet my property and turned it into a HMO and a revolving door for drug dealers! The police and council were being called to the property about three to four times DAILY. Martin & Co knew this from day one but took no action and didnt inform me. If it wasn`t for my good neighbours I would not have known a thing. When I asked them to find out what was happening they instructed their solicitors (Dutton Gregory) to serve notices and start legal proceedings. Little did I know that they would pass the full costs to me because the Martin & Co Promise Plus (their premium legal and rent assurance insurance) only applies if the tenant does not pay rent!

I have been letting my property for years through various agencies and Martin & Co easily tops the list of the worst of the worst by a million miles. I am yet to sue them for professional negligence.
By: Jasper
Jul 16, 2013
Hi, just curious – I am a landlord who had convicted criminals put in my property ‘ fully’ referenced by an ‘independent’ referencing agency – the company was YOURMOVE and the referencing agency is not independent as it is owned by LSL who own YOURMOVE. When approached, YM said that the criminals had passed all reference checks but would not release to me any copies and thus they were NOT responsible for them. I went through their complaints procedures and they still said it was not their fault – and I too got my rent paid – but it was the other damage that I did not get resolved, so I am in the process of going to the Property Ombudsman citing negligence – I do not have a result as yet. Hopefully in the next few months. I also do not know how effective the ombudsman will be, as they are financed by the agencies. However I would suggest that you document everything and go through the agent’s complaints procedure, then as soon as they respond and you do not agree you can go to the Ombudsman, no reason to ‘to and frow’.
They should be held accountable – the problem is that estate agents seem to be able to act without any comeback – I would love a job where you could mess up as much as you like and then turn around and say I am not accountable or liable for my actions, the way they do.
As painful, frustrating and as time consuming as it is – you must make a stand and fight back. Make a financial claim. Why should you suffer like this because of their incompetence?

You can use this form to reply to the above review or a displayed comment on the above review. PLEASE NOTE! This is not the page to leave a new review of Martin & Co Portsmouth! To leave a new review of Martin & Co Portsmouth, please click the link below !
Write a review for Martin & Co Portsmouth