May 18,2013
May 18,2013
Very disappointed with Greene & Co in their handling of this transaction - and will not use again.
I was a prospective buyer who viewed a property in Marlborough House (off Finchley Road), a new office conversion, and had a bid accepted. On Greene\'s recommendation, I put down a 2k reservation deposit, to guarantee exclusivity on the property for 1 month. The deposit contract contained certain protective clauses, stating that I would receive the deposit back in full if the property was found to have defective legal title, or contained any issues which would affect the material value of the property.
When both of these issues were uncovered - the property had been extended upon and comprehensively converted without freeholder permission, and was also being sold by leasees, not by the freeholder - I pulled out on my lawyers advice, and expected Greene to swiftly return the deposit. I had already lost out on mortage broker fees, surveyor fees and legal fees, so did not expect a fight to claim back the reservation deposit, as there were clear-cut legal title issues. However, I had to go through a bitter wrangle lasting two months with them to get the money back. Finally, after repeated threats, they begrudgingly returned the deposit without an apology.

Although I lost out on various fees, this was only a minor irritation; the main problem for me is that Greene will continue to market this dodgy property to other prospective buyers, and probably push other buyers to pay reservation deposits on this property - knowing full well that these buyers will be placed in a similarly difficult situation once the legal problems are uncovered by their solicitors. It puts the buyer in a difficult position - going ahead with a risky property with legal problems, or losing out on legal fees and potentially a reservation deposit which Greene will fight tooth and nail to retain.
The agent should not have put up a fight in returning the reservation deposit, when clear defective legal title problems and other legal issues emerged, that undoubtedly affected the material value of the property. They should not also push prospective buyers into placing reservation deposits when they are fully aware that these serious legal issues may well put buyers off from completing the transaction when they come to light. Frankly I expected more integrity and honesty from them, but perhaps I was naive to do so.
By: Fish
Mar 03, 2014
Greene also asked me to pay this dodgy reservation deposit on a flat when I was looking to buy. Did not do so on advice from my lawyers and from your experience, glad we didn't...

I would also avoid, poor, poor service.

You can use this form to reply to the above review or a displayed comment on the above review. PLEASE NOTE! This is not the page to leave a new review of Greene & Co West Hampstead! To leave a new review of Greene & Co West Hampstead, please click the link below !
Write a review for Greene & Co West Hampstead