May 09,2013
May 09,2013
From a letter I sent to the company -

= = =

Just wanted to drop your company a line to thank you for wasting my time, my friend\'s time as well as yours.

I\'m currently located in the United States. I had a friend look at a flat for me in Edinburgh on 16/17 Chapel Lane on May 8.

When making the appointment, my friend explained my situation and why I couldn\'t be at the viewing. We were told that was fie. During the viewing there was one other applicant there. The agent that showed my friend around said that, in case all parties were interested, it would go to applications and then the landlord for a decision.

Immediately after viewing the flat, I called your agency and spoke to an agent there. While on the phone I gave him the following information:

* my name
* the fact that I had a UK HSBC bank account and could immediately pay any security deposit
* the fact that I had previously been living in Scotland for 2 years, and 5 years in the UK overall
* that I had a letter of reference from my previous landlord in Dundee
* the company that I had been working for over the past two years while in Scotland

I was told that was all the information that was needed and that someone would get back to me by email. I followed this up with a phone call before closing hours and was told that your company had all the information it needed from me

I heard nothing until I called back this afternoon and was told that the flat was let.

If me not being in the country is going to have an effect on the decision, this is the kind of thing you need to tell people BEFOREHAND.

I understand you have to be cautious when renting to people from outside the UK, but, in addition to the above, I also had these credit references which I have kept active or closed with no penalty since leaving:

* Barclay\'s account
* Orange phone account
* Scottish Hydro
* Dundee City Council

I also have a National Insurance card and number as well as a vehicle registered there in Scotland.

My friend WASTED HALF A DAY OF WORK in addition to Taxi fare to and from the viewing.

But, as a general common courtesy and just a decent human thing to do, if a Landlord has a problem with renting to someone coming from outside of the UK - TELL APPLICANTS THAT UPFRONT.

And I do wish to take the time to apologize to the receptionist who was on duty this afternoon as I hung up on her abruptly. I realize she was just doing her job.

The worst part is that all of this unpleasantness could have been avoided.

Tell prospective tenants that the landlord isn\'t going to rent to them if they\'re from out of town. Contact prospective tenants if a property falls through.

You can use this form to reply to the above review or a displayed comment on the above review. PLEASE NOTE! This is not the page to leave a new review of DJ Alexander Edinburgh! To leave a new review of DJ Alexander Edinburgh, please click the link below !
Write a review for DJ Alexander Edinburgh