Feb 04,2013
Feb 04,2013
I always leave a review for any agent I deal with and as I moved recently, here is my experience:

Approached on 12th Jan 2013 - visited offices.
Needed a 1 bed by 17th Feb 2013
Budget Told: Min £230 and Maximum of £300
Told them I would accept 2 bed as long as no greater than my max budget.
Area OneSE8 complex, Greenwich, Silk works or Royal Victoria

On Mon 4th Feb, found somewhere with a different agent.

Had 2 experiences of potential places with RM as follows:

A 2 Bed: Offered at £330 to me. I reminded the agent my Max was £300. Then was offered at £310 if a deal could be done with the landlord. Reminded again I had been asked for a max at the office. £300 was it. I was then told that we probably could get it for £300. As I didn\'t feel comfortable given that I had just likely saved £30 a week had I not stuck to my limit, then I decided to let this one go.

No contact for a while until I chased and then 1 bed.

A 1 Bed: Within budget. But original pictures sent were not of the place. Then actual pictures were sent. It was not bad. I thought I could take a look. Arranged a time at 6pm and was to be confirmed the next day. I was not phoned. At 5pm I texted to say I was leaving for home and then was told that we would have to do a different day on this one. It was good that he replied though.

I went to see a different place on the re-arranged day and liked it so took that.

Riley Marshall are really good on communication (5*) but I was unable to find a place for those 2 weeks and my deadline was approaching (3*) and also I was offered a place for more than my maximum (1*) and given I believe in financial responsibility I don\'t believe any agency should offer for more than maximums. Just £10 extra a week is £520 a year! It adds up fast. I wouldn\'t want to see people evicted through not being able to afford places. Does the landlord or the tenant come first? The landlord is a "business" after all and has more than one property so is "well off" enough. Maximum should mean max. By all means, find a place for more, but then only make an offer to the maximum.

Would I use again. Absolutely. They are pretty good and they care about their rating on this site and answer e-mails and texts etc. Agent may have tried his best but might be limited stock at the moment too.

Fees were £125 admin and £125 referencing. This may or may not exclude or include VAT, I can\'t remember. I am unsure if businesses are allowed to price excluding VAT. I know supermarkets are not allowed to. I thought it was only the USA who did that. But several in UK are starting to do it. I thought there was a law against it. I may be wrong. Or I may be right and some are following the pack. Or perhaps these type of business are allowed. I will need to look it up.

Next time I move, I will give them a call and see what we can find. A good experience on the whole. Shame we never found a place. (BTW I paid £125 and £95 at agent I did use as a comparison).

Kind Regards

Kevin
By: Riley Marshall
May 29, 2013
Good Morning Kevin

We are not able to delete comments left on the All Agents site. Any changes in this regard must have been made by All Agents themselves.

All I can do is to forward your comments to All Agents.
By: Kevin
Apr 13, 2013
Why has the response changed and my response to your response been deleted.

You originally made a comment about "the landlords being your clients" and I responded back that I feel BOTH parties are your clients but it is good to know your honest thoughts.

This seems to have disappeared. Why is this?

Many Thanks
Kevin
By: Riley Marshall
Feb 05, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review.

We are always grateful to our clients and customers who take time to feed back to us their experiences so that we can be vigilant in giving the best customer experience.

We take your comment about not getting back to you to confirm a viewing very seriously, as we pride ourselves in our communication. We have discussed this within our office to prevent this happening again. Thank you for your 5* evaluation of our communication.

In relation to your query about VAT: We are members of The Property Ombudsman and we use their guidelines plus our own legal advice to keep all our paperwork up to date.

They recommend the best practice is:

“All fees and charges . . must be fully explained, and clearly and unambiguously stated in writing. Fees should clearly state whether VAT is chargeable; and where practicable they must be expressed inclusive of VAT.”

Our fees are £120 inclusive of VAT and we always issue tenants a receipt showing the fees and VAT broken down for clarification when they pay us fees.

You are correct that when advertised products and services that attract VAT should be advertised at the Vat inclusive figure (where most customers cannot reclaim VAT).

Agent’s fees for tenants are not their advertised product, so providing it is clearly stated whether a quoted fee is inclusive or exclusive it is not illegal for agents to quote ex VAT prices for fees.

To answer your point about your budget, as far as rental value is concerned some landlords have more flexibility than others on their rental margins. Also some tenants quickly change their parameters once they start to view properties, so we would defend our negotiators actions in coming back to you with properties within a reasonable margin outside of your specified rental values. We feel it is better to offer the tenant the opportunity to say no, than not to offer what we have available.

I am sorry we were not able to find you a property in the area, budget and timescale allowed and I am really glad to hear you would come back to us again when you move next time.

You can use this form to reply to the above review or a displayed comment on the above review. PLEASE NOTE! This is not the page to leave a new review of Riley Marshall Greenwich! To leave a new review of Riley Marshall Greenwich, please click the link below !
Write a review for Riley Marshall Greenwich