Properties Glasgow - Infiniti Properties
Feb 01,2013
Feb 01,2013
I have noticed several comments on this website concerning occasions when Northwood have withheld 6 months rent from landlords when they have requested to take their properties back. I too fell victim to this practice when Northwood withheld over £10,000 of rent after informing me they no longer wished to manage my portfolio then begin proceedings to evict all of my tenants.

When I challenged them they assured me that their contracts had been written with the advice and assistance of Trading Standards and that they had defended several court actions from landlords attempting to recover their rent. This is not the case. After taking legal proceedings against them they eventually backed down, resulting in full repayment of rent along with compensation and costs.

The practice of there being clauses hidden in management agreements that suggests that letting agents are able to withhold rent from landlords wishing to leave them (even in cases such as mine where it was the letting agent's decision) is totally unacceptable and should anyone find themselves in the same situation as I did either with Northwood or with any other letting agent I suggest they take legal action to recover their losses. Contracts stating that letting agents are entitled to six months rent should you leave them is covered under The Unfair Contracts Terms Acts 1999, therefore cannot be enforced and despite what Northwood have repeatedly claimed has never been and cannot be defended in court.
By: BM
Feb 27, 2013
Thanks for your comments Mr Bear. You are quite right, had I read the contract FULLY or taken legal advice I would have known not to sign up with this agent. There were however other issues about their conduct that resulted in me taking legal action. I hope you don’t end up making the same mistakes as I did, so would recommend that you look elsewhere. The letting agent I am currently using give a much higher level of service in all areas, and like all other letting agents I know of, do not charge penalty clauses should you wish to leave them. As I have now recovered all the rent that was withheld- and received compensation for the loss of rent from tenants that were evicted, I am glad to say that I can now put this rather unpleasant matter behind me and move on. Good luck with finding a suitable letting agent.
By: JohnBear
Feb 22, 2013
Did you see a lawyer before you signed the contract in fact did you even read it FULLY.I am looking to rent my house out and I would like very much to know if their is something I should be aware of.JB
By: BM
Feb 10, 2013
I am amazed by the lack of professionalism shown in your response. Do you really believe that it is not obvious to everyone reading this who has written this? And did you not realise that checking Linkedin leaves a footprint? Following our recent telephone conversation, when you threatened me with legal action should I not remove my comment of 1st Feb, is this what you call drawing a line in the sand? I thought we had both agreed to let this go.

My previous comment was made based entirely on my own personal experience and should you wish to respond I suggest it be done in a more professional manner. I can only assume this childish response was written having had a few beers, as you do not appear to be aware that you are making a complete fools of yourselves. I suggest for your own benefit that you stop and think carefully about the damage that you are doing to your company’s reputation both here and nationwide before making any further comment. Have you got no idea how this correspondence must look to the general public? Please let this go and move on. However much you think otherwise, it is not my reputation that is being damaged here, but yours.

You can use this form to reply to the above review or a displayed comment on the above review. PLEASE NOTE! This is not the page to leave a new review of Northwood Edinburgh! To leave a new review of Northwood Edinburgh, please click the link below !
Write a review for Northwood Edinburgh