Edgware, HA8
97% sales fee satisfaction
93% lettings valuation accuracy
89% lettings fee satisfaction

Property Features

...left to get your reviews in for the
2021 allAgents Estate & Letting Agents Awards

“Two of our properties were absolutely destroy......”

By: 'Anjali'
Jul 06,2021
Two of our properties were absolutely destroyed when they were turned into cannabis farms at the end of 2020. The level of damage has been devastating. We then discovered that ABC Estates had let both properties out to tenants without doing tenant reference checks (no bank statements or payslips at all). They collected all the rent in CASH ONLY for both properties – with not even a bank account on file. They did not register tenant deposits with a registered deposit scheme, as required by law. We don't know if they even took deposits.

They falsely told us that they had completed the full credit checks and reference checks. They fraudulently gave us details for entirely different tenants before letting out one of the properties, a 5 bedroom house, to a sole female without obtaining our consent. All they obtained in both cases was a Portuguese photo ID for a single female.

Our lawyers have written to ABC Estates many times about their flagrant breach of contract ***. They just outright ignored letters before claim and emails.

ABC has not even returned the value of the deposits to us – which is uncontested money! SHOCKING.

We have written to Trading Standards, ARLA, the PRS and will be notifying the police about their business activity and the link to criminal gangs. If anyone else has experienced the same thing, please also contact me (Shreena.a.shah@gmail.com). I am certain that our 2 properties will not be the only ones and it will be valuable to link the cases for the police to investigate. That this happened to 2 of our properties shows this is not a freak scenario.

I write this not to be malicious but because ABC has made no efforts to resolve the matter. Our insurance (rightly) will not cover the circumstance where you/your agent did not complete checks on the tenant as the resulting destruction is entirely foreseeable. I believe they should be investigated properly and I hope other people will be able to avoid the loss we have experienced.
By: Shreena
Jul 25, 2021
Debby,

It is a complete falsehood to claim that my mother ‘was informed of the details of the offer on the phone’ or had seen these reference checks beforehand or consented to the tenancy in any way, shape or form of Amanda Almeida. I invite you to retract that. I have written evidence and documentation to support every one of my claims. Having spoken to the PRS, they have told me that ‘on the phone’ claims will not wash as agencies also put things in writing in order to protect themselves and keep a paper trail of client consent. You certainly will not find any evidence that any details were passed to my mother at any stage of the tenancy to support your version of events.

Similarly, with property 2, none of details of these sparse tenant reference checks were ever passed to my mother either on the phone or in writing. You did not even do a credit check for this tenant.

The tenant reference checks you obtained are nowhere near sufficient by the industry standard – I have yet to find an estate agent, landlord, ARLA or Ombudsman who would agree with you on this point. It is for this reason that Trading Standards and the PRS (Property Redress Scheme) are both reviewing our case. Similarly, whilst estate agents might accept rent in cash payments, it is absolutely unheard of within the industry to accept ALL rent payments in cash including deposit, without a bank account even on file. Indeed, agents usually do not accept all payments in cash as they will be wary of money laundering – tenants attempting to make all payments in cash is usually indicative of money laundering which is something that would ring alarm bells for any Lettings agent. To be clear, neither myself nor my insurer were satisfied.

When tenants are not vetted properly, it’s no surprise to receive undesirables. That’s the position we found ourselves in. We trusted the agent to perform the job of an agent adequately. They did not.

We have historically always managed our own tenants and collected our own rent. On these two occasions only, Bradley Brazier said that the tenants had had a bad experience with a previous landlord so only wanted to communicate and deal through the agent. Bradley said ABC would collect the rent and manage the properties at no extra charge.

By refunding our deposits on July 10th, by definition, you have accepted that you had over £5000 of deposit money sitting in your company accounts. You did not put any of the deposit money into custodial schemes nor return the money to us for us to do so. Quote from your letter 9th May 2019: ‘We confirm that the deposit has been lodged with the TDS so as to comply with current legislation.’ Rather, for property 1, you obtained just a rent guarantee from the TDS - but kept the money in your accounts.

I see that you intend to explain this all away as two mere coincidences. Given the facts of this case, I am sure others will not view it the same way. I also note that you keep promptly responding to these public reviews by writing random irrelevant details peppered with outright lies whilst ignoring my lawyer’s letters and making no attempts to resolve. We have never received an open response from you at all. Richard Davidoff sent us some ‘without prejudice’ emails – the last of which was March 2021. These contained offers to send your builders in to reinstate the properties. We rejected these as the trust has completely broken down with your company. I would not trust your builder or the standard of their materials. Your paltry cash offers have come nowhere near the actual loss suffered.

Richard has made offers so low that they cannot be considered to be genuine offers and has said that legal action will cost us a fortune, take forever and we will end up with nothing at all to show for it.

FYI: Aldermartin Ltd is run as an insolvent company (see Companies House). Richard Davidoff removed himself as a Director of Aldermartin Ltd on May 1st 2021.

As I said in my original review, I do not write this review to be malicious. I write it to share my experience so that other people can avoid making the same mistake we did in trusting this agent. You can see from the Agent’s responses that not only are they standing by their actions but actually justifying them. This agent believes that these actions are good practice. Indeed, if you have nothing to hide and are totally satisfied with the job you have done, why does Richard Davidoff not inform his professional indemnity insurer?

I won’t be responding to another one of your replies. I’ve said everything I need to say about the matter both privately and on this thread. I will continue to share my experiences publicly.

To reiterate, no action can taken against me for libel or defamation when the matters being complained about are factual and the truth.
By: Aldermartin Baines & Cuthbert
Jul 20, 2021
Thank you for your response. In respect of property 1 we had different viewings and offers, some may have fizzled out or decided against taking the property. In the end we informed your mother of the solid last minute offer we had on the table and she agreed to proceed – your mother was informed of the details of the offer on the phone and we told her that the applicant was going to be joined by family. They stayed in the property for over a year and there were no issues, the property was inspected during and after the tenancy as you know. After the tenant vacated and during our search for new tenants the previous tenant said they would rent the property for a second term, again all the details were passed to your mother and she agreed to proceed, we gave her options and she made this decision entirely on her own. It was very unfortunate and disappointing when we were informed of what was discovered and certainly the last thing we expected.

Property 2 as you know is not a quality property and you were aware that it attracted undesirable tenants – this is confirmed by the fact the previous tenant sub-let the flat to a council tenant and made a profit, we dealt with the situation by gaining vacant possession and we obtained missing rent from the insurer minimising your losses. On this occasion we had a tenant who said she has children and wanted to rent the property, initially we had no issues as the property was visited by contractors and rent was being paid. Allegedly the property was also used as a cannabis farm and of course we were completely shocked about this.

We collected what references were available and whilst you may have the opinion that we lacked gathering everything you expected it certainly does not mean that we were complicit in what was going on. We feel we collected sufficient information at the time and our priority was rent protection which we obtained, we had enough to satisfy the insurer. One could collect an abundance of information on an applicant, it does not determine or prevent a tenant from committing illegal activity or breaching the tenancy agreement. As we said already we cannot control what a tenant does once they move in to the property and we are not accountable for their activities or behaviour.

We tried to resolve the issue for you by offering to reinstate the properties and cover the missing rent at our expense, not because we had to but because we wanted to maintain and restore the long business relationship we had at the time. Whilst we accept the situation has been a bad experience we offered what we could to assist and rectify the problem but you would not let us. We then made the same offers in writing to your solicitor on 2 occasions. It is therefore incorrect to suggest otherwise.

We have already answered your point about the deposits but for clarity we registered the first deposit we were instructed and paid to do, you did not want to pay the small cost for us to register the next deposit for property 2 and you did not register it with the DPS as you usually do for your other properties that we let previously. The deposits have been refunded to you accordingly.

Once again we want to make it absolutely clear that neither ABC nor any of its staff members have links to ‘criminal gangs’ and despite what you say you did use the word ‘collusion’. These unfortunate and isolated incidences are sadly coincidental that it happened to the same person, we ourselves could have been targeted by the ‘criminal gangs’ and since these events we have taken steps to modify our protocols to avoid a repeat scenario. We are happy to cooperate with the police as we would be happy to assist them if required, we have nothing to hide despite your inappropriate assumptions.
By: Anjali
Jul 16, 2021
Dear Debby,

What is most poignant about your long reply is that you have managed to write so much without addressing the fact of ABC not doing proper tenant reference checks.

For property 1 you took: 1 Portuguese photo ID, a basic Homelet credit check, a letter from an unverified employer called Valens Contractors Limited. A simple Google search would show you zero internet presence on the employer. The date of the credit check, AST signature and commencement of the AST is all the same - 8th May 2019. You emailed us 3 months payslips, bank statements, and all 4 passports for entirely different tenants before signing a tenancy agreement with a completely different individual without our consent – renting out our 5 bedroom house to a single female.

For property 2, you took: 1 Portuguese photo ID, a previous landlord letter and a letter from an unverified employer called Kaloci Ltd. That’s it. Again, a single Portuguese female.

The attached 2 files show the entirety of the tenant reference checks for each property. I share them on this review for people to see for themselves.

You did not take a verified bank account for each tenant to keep on file. Even if you choose to rest on ‘cash is legal tender’, you should always have a bank account on file. Again, this is a basic expectation of any lettings agent. Let alone one which operates to ARLA’s membership standards. Both ARLA and the Ombudsman have indicated to us how far below industry standards your conduct falls.

You kept money for both deposits without lodging them in a custodial scheme. You told us in writing that the deposit money was registered with the TDS. We found out much later on that you had never registered the deposit money with TDS or any other approved scheme. A Rent Guarantee (that you did for 1 property only) is not sufficient. It is illegal for you to keep deposit money intermingled in your business accounts and not put the deposit money into either an insured or custodial rent deposit scheme.

After we submitted a complaint to the Ombudsman, they contacted you on Friday July 10th. It was only after this intervention from the Ombudsman that you finally credited our bank account with the rental deposits later that same day. For over 6 months you had completely ignored our solicitors’ letters to you requesting the repayment of the rent deposits to us.

Our lawyer has written you a 10 page letter before action and multiple other letters asking you to justify these actions. You have not responded to any of the questions. You have not responded once on an Open basis. In fact, you stopped responding to us in May 2021 when you wrote to tell us that Richard Davidoff had removed himself as a Director at ABC Estates and that you had a new Director.

Finally, I wrote that we will notify the police about your ‘business activity and link to criminal gangs’. The word ‘collusion’ was never used. To be clear, this is a statement of opinion based on the reasonable interpretation of the evidence I have. I will withdraw this for the sake of simplicity. The facts speak for themselves. The police have now been notified and are investigating these two cases in tandem due to the stark similarities. No action can taken against me for libel or defamation when the matters being complained about are factual and the truth.
Attachments

By: Debby
Jul 12, 2021
Thank you for your review, your comments are noted but we would like to clarify and correct some points that you have raised. Firstly we would like to make it absolutely clear that neither ABC nor any of its staff members are in collusion with ‘criminal gangs’ as you state. This is a very serious allegation to make which we invite you to withdraw immediately. We reserve the right to take legal action against you for Libel if you do not do so. We collected the available references & documents for the tenants and your mother personally approved them to move in – with one of the properties she asked them to vacate after 1 year and the property was left in immaculate condition. When she was ready to find new tenants she permitted the same tenant to move back into the house and sadly 3 months later the property was found to be a cannabis farm.

At our own cost we referenced the tenant through HomeLet and we took out an insurance backed Rent Guarantee. We would not have been able to obtain the Rent Guarantee if the independent Insurance Company was not satisfied with the referencing that was done. The insurer was satisfied with the tenants references and they provided a policy which confirms we obtained adequate paperwork on the applicants.

Both of the tenancy deposits have been returned to your mother. Historically your mother has always registered the tenants deposits herself for all the other properties we let for her. She instructed us to register one of the deposits which we did but she was not happy that we charged our standard modest fee for this service. For the other property we asked her if we should register it but she did not want to pay the fee for this service and therefore the onus was on her to register the deposit as she used to previously, but she never did.

We were not instructed to officially manage the properties despite our offer to do so and this may have prevented the tenants illegal activity, ultimately we cannot be held liable for a tenants actions once they move in to a property, if they carry out illegal activity or sub-let the property we cannot prevent it, we can only try and resolve the problem.

If the tenants decide to pay their rent in cash that is legal tender and we have many tenants that pay their rent by cash, this is not unusual nor criminal as you suggest.

When these issues with the tenants came to our attention we did respond to you in writing as we were conscious that you were a valued client for whom we let 5 different properties. We therefor made a “without prejudice” offer to send out contractors to reinstate the properties at our cost and cover the rent till the properties were restored. You declined this offer. We confirmed the offer in writing again to your solicitor who again confirmed in writing that you did not want to avail yourself to this offer. Our offer would have meant that you would have suffered no financial loss, we also offered you a realistic cash settlement (offers were made as a gesture of goodwill with no liability on our behalf) – you chose not to accept our offers which is perplexing as you would have had the properties back up and running already and it would not have cost you anything.

In respect of your insurance policy requirements your mother did not provide or inform us of the policy details / requirements before the properties were let and therefore we did not know of any particular conditions therein. Despite what you say, this unfortunate scenario you experienced is a freak coincidence as we have no history or links to any illegal activity and we inspected all the properties we manage to ensure there is no repeat of this. You will see that nearly all our reviews on All Agents are very positive and we are 100% confident that no other client will contact you telling you they experienced the same because it hasn’t happened.

We worked with your mum for some years and we had no issues up to this time, this situation was beyond our control and we offered to rectify matters for you as gesture of goodwill but you refused.

Opening Hours
Address

Aldermartin Baines & Cuthbert
179 Station Road
Edgware
Middlesex
HA8 7JX

Performance statistics
Services Valuation Accuracy Fees Satisfaction Min Price of property reviewed Max Price of property reviewed
Sales 87% 97% £85,000 £850,000
  • Mortgage Advice
Members of
Latest Properties

No Properties

Aldermartin Baines & Cuthbert Branches (view all )

“As a director of our RTM, I have had many ......”

Jul 29,2021
By: 'Evelina'
Jul 29,2021
As a director of our RTM, I have had many challenges with our block. Working with ABC has helped me manage a difficult situation better and overall has reduced my stress. They have been very clear, communicative and helpful with suggestions and solutions to issues ...

“Stuart has done an exceptional good job, didn......”

Jul 28,2021
By: 'Avivco Developments'
Jul 28,2021
Stuart has done an exceptional good job, didn't waste a day, communication was great and well delivered! highly recommended thanks Sydney...

“In the two years that ABC have acted as manag......”

Jul 27,2021
Declan
By: 'Anthony'
Jul 27,2021
In the two years that ABC have acted as managing agents to our block I have only every found them extremely efficient, courteous and professional. They've been terrific in sorting out problems with the block extremely quickly and a shout out must go to Declan ...

“Five Star Service...”

Jul 22,2021
By: 'Christine'
Jul 22,2021
The support and information provided throughout by Bradley has been second to none and made my first experience being a Landlord that much easier. Thanks for everything!...

“Happy with the communication, attention and f......”

Jul 18,2021
By: 'Nad&Mil'
Jul 18,2021
Happy with the communication, attention and final outcome as a result of our interaction. Thank you, Stuart! Quick turnaround, always punctual and responsive...

“Lovely Agent...”

Jul 17,2021
By: 'Lissa'
Jul 17,2021
ABC found me a lovely house to rent, the reference process was fast and they made everything so straightforward. Bradley was very easy to deal with and a breath of fresh air compared with other agents I have dealt with in the past....

“Renting a flat...”

By: 'Thompson'
Jul 16,2021
I was searching for an apartment to rent and most agents either didn’t call back or weren’t interested, Bradley at ABC was different to the others and found me a lovely flat very quickly. Very happy with the service received....

“Very professional...”

By: 'Richard'
Jul 16,2021
We have been working with Bradley Brazier at ABC Estates for a few years now and we have always received a professional and transparent service, he handles tenant transitions and helps us comply with required legislation. We are very pleased with them...

“We decided to instruct ABC Estates due to lac......”

By: 'Kaz'
Jul 14,2021
We decided to instruct ABC Estates due to lack of communication and proactive service from another agent. Bradley made the whole process effortless. He found us an excellent tenant and secured contracts in no time at all. Definitely the most efficient and professional letting agents ...

“Such fantastic service from beginning to end!......”

By: 'Caroline Marks'
Jul 14,2021
Such fantastic service from beginning to end! I had the fortune of a one of a kind service from ABC and a very courteous young man by the name of Bradley. I found him to be honest, reliable and very efficient and the information I ...

“Two of our properties were absolutely destroy......”

By: 'Anjali'
By: Shreena
Jul 25, 2021
Debby, It is a complete falsehood to claim that my mother ‘was informed of the details of the offer on the phone’ or had seen these reference checks beforehand or consented to the tenancy in any way, shape or form of Amanda Almeida. I invite you to retract that. I have written evidence and documentation to support every one of my claims. Having spoken to the PRS, they have told me that ‘on the phone’ claims will not wash as agencies also put things in writing in order to protect them ...

“Excellent service and professionalism from St......”

Jun 28,2021
By: 'Purvi'
Jun 28,2021
Excellent service and professionalism from Stuart. Made the purchase of our new hope seamless. Stuart was always on hand to answer any questions we had and very organised and efficient. Highly recommend!...

“Offer was put on the house within days or it......”

Jun 24,2021
By: 'P Shah'
Jun 24,2021
Offer was put on the house within days or it going on market and Stuart provided excellent service from day 1 to completion....

“Stuart Lesser is decent, always available for......”

Jun 23,2021
By: 'Isaac Davis'
Jun 23,2021
Stuart Lesser is decent, always available for contact, and will fight tooth and nail to satisfy all parties. He never gives up and whatever the issue, be it a deadline, an adverse mortgage valuation, assisting with negotiations or simply nudging people when necessary, Stuart delivers. ...

“Stuart was very honest and helpful in my sear......”

Jun 21,2021
By: 'neel'
Jun 21,2021
Stuart was very honest and helpful in my search to acquire my first home. He has a very personable approach and was reassuring throughout the process. I highly recommend him and ABC....

“Very helpful. Thank you for all. They helpe......”

Jun 16,2021
By: 'Eniko'
Jun 16,2021
Very helpful. Thank you for all. They helped a lot. I'm glad I chose them . I wish them every success in the future ....

“Abc Aldermatin...”

Jun 09,2021
By: 'Maca'
Jun 09,2021
I have been in the property onky under 2 weeks but regards the feedback about service from Bradley - ABC Aldermatin thus has been great in terms of support and getting everything sorted for the property. He is great agent, very responsive and happy to help ...

“Stuart Lesser of ABC provided me with excepti......”

May 11,2021
By: 'Andrew Jeffery'
May 11,2021
Stuart Lesser of ABC provided me with exceptional service when selling my house in Edgware. He is very helpful and provided me with regular updates. His customer service is excellent. Thank you Stuart....

“Very professional, always behaved with our b......”

Apr 19,2021
By: 'Julian'
Apr 19,2021
Very professional, always behaved with our best interest at heart even though our purchaser had problems our agent was very positive....

“I've been letting my property with Aldermarti......”

Apr 14,2021
By: 'Bindesh'
Apr 14,2021
I've been letting my property with Aldermartin (via Bradley Brazier) over the past 5 years and have been very pleased with the professionalism and service provided....

“Excellent service and sufficient help in time......”

Georgina
By: 'N'
Apr 01,2021
Excellent service and sufficient help in timely manner. I liaise especially with Bradley, there is always professionalism and solutions on standby to assist as and when possible for my property to be looked after. Appreciate ABC. Many thanks and keep up the great work!...

“Tenant Find...”

By: 'Niki'
Apr 01,2021
Really happy with the service received at ABC real estate. Bradley found a tenant for my property in good time despite these difficult circumstances....

“ABC were proactive in the face of a tricky bu......”

Mar 12,2021
By: 'Peter'
Mar 12,2021
ABC were proactive in the face of a tricky buyer, but guided us, as sellers, through the process to a successful outcome....

“Great service!...”

Mar 09,2021
By: 'Nadine F'
Mar 09,2021
I recently purchased a property through ABC and had a positive experience. Stuart Lesser was great throughout the process - he always helped put my mind at ease especially as a first time buyer and always pointed me in the right direction when needed. I ...

“The Consummate Professional...”

Mar 06,2021
By: 'David'
Mar 06,2021
I found Stuart to be polite courteous and utterly professional throughout our dealings. There were no games or pressure applied during the price negotiation process, and he was very understanding throughout the conveyancing process. When some differences popped up prior to exchange of contracts, Stuart ...
No image available Bradley
No image available tim
Upload your photo Alice
(0)
No fees information available
Kindly note that legally, letting agents need to publish information about their tenancy fees, government-approved redress schemes and client money protection schemes on their website and on third party websites (on which agents are listed). For properties to lease/rent in England, agents need to keep this information up to date and precise on allAgents or specify within the property description.

Complaints Procedure