Jan 18,2013
Jan 18,2013
I was very disappointed with the service and attitude of this agent. In my view they take advantage of an inequality of bargaining power and their conduct is unreasonable. My son was looking with friends for student accommodation and I was required by accommod8 to be a guarantor for him or to pay a year\'s rent in full. I decided that the latter was preferable, as the guarantee involved joint and several liability for rent and loss caused by my son and by his co-tenants, which would be very risky. I told the agency that I would pay a year\'s rent up front but I requested certain reasonable amendments to the Assured Shorthold Agreement (AST). One of these was a request that the landlord was required under the AST to insure the building. Another was that 24 hours notice be given in writing before the landlord or agent accessed the property. I also requested that a brief document be signed recording what the year\'s rent was being advanced to them for. They had no such document in use. I was told that my request would be considered at a management meeting. At this stage my son had put down a £200 deposit (or jeopardise his co-tenants\' deposits if he would not do so). Accommod8 never got back to me after the purported managment meeting, although I asked them both before and after the meeting for their decision. I had to chase them and spoke to someone called Becky who told me that my request was dismissed as they used standard terms (their standard terms). Management completely blanked me. Parents beware: this company will take money from you readily but not deal fairly with you. I would have complained through the formal channels, namely accommod8\'s complaints system followed by ARLA, but I simply do not have the time. I suffered no loss as my son\'s friends managed to find someone to take his place. In the meantime, we had stopped his deposit cheque in any event.
By: The accommod8 Team
Jan 05, 2014
Dear 'Susan Radburn-Todd',

We are sorry you have had a less than acceptable experience with accommod8.

We house over 800 tenants each year in our accommodation and the issues you describe certainly do not reflect the experience of the vast majority. These issues will be investigated as far as they can without the specific details of the property and tenancy.

We manage a large portfolio of student property and commit significant resources to ensure the standard of our accommodation and customer service meets expectations. We will examine the issues raised to ensure this informs our ongoing business review.

We endeavour to communicate our policies and procedures both in advance of accommodation being secured by tenants, during the formalities and throughout the tenancy. We are aware some of this important information is not always understood by those it is intended for.

We have an FAQs page on our website which provides a full outline of the tenancy commitment once a deposit is paid and also the more important terms of the tenancy such as rent payments, retainers and deposits. During the tenancy we advise and assist on various topics including how to leave to leave the property to get deposits returned.

Tenancy agreements and application forms are issued to prospective tenants at viewings to ensure they have time to check the terms before they make a commitment and pay a deposit.

To provide our customers with a route to raise problems with us we have a comprehensive complaints procedure which also outlines the steps our customers can take should they feel our response to their complaints has not been satisfactorily addressed.

The FAQs and Complaints Procedure can be found here www.accommod8.biz/faqs.html

accommod8 is licensed and regulated by the Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA) and The Property Ombudsman (TPO). We are members of the Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) requiring us to administer deposits following strict rules and procedures.

Our priority for 2014 is to improve our communications and increase the capacity for responding to and carrying out repairs and maintenance.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, we are sorry you were disappointed with our service.

The accommod8 Team

You can use this form to reply to the above review or a displayed comment on the above review. PLEASE NOTE! This is not the page to leave a new review of Accommod8 Office 1! To leave a new review of Accommod8 Office 1, please click the link below !
Write a review for Accommod8 Office 1