Jan 16,2013
Jan 16,2013
I have rented a number of properties over the years with various estate agents, and I have never experienced such disgusting service as I did with Cray and Norton. They were great up until the day with moved in ¢â‚¬â€œ no complaints whatsoever. But as soon as we were in and we were paying rent, it was like they couldn't care less. I understand that they have other tenants, but it really did take them absolutely forever to do anything.

Before we moved in, they had agreed to put new shelving in the utility cupboard (which was falling apart), and to put edging on the carpets that had started to fray around the edges. It was nearing six months before either of these things were done ¢â‚¬â€œ by which point, the frayed carpets had gotten so bad that it was impossible to vacuum the flat without ripping the carpet. Six months.

We were told every few months that there would be an inspection, so my partner or myself would take a day off work to clean and tidy, and to wait in for someone to show up. We never had an inspection. Not at least on the days that they told us. No one would turn up, and no one would call to cancel. We had the exact same treatment with viewings when it came to the end of our tenancy. We would put our entire evening on hold waiting for them to show up, and nothing ¢â‚¬â€œ no phonecall, no apology. Though that wasn't as bad as the time that someone from Cray and Norton decided to let themselves into my home with a key to show round prospective tenants, on a Saturday when I was home from work in my pyjamas. We received no warning on a viewing, and they didn't even attempt to knock ¢â‚¬â€œ just walked right in. I'm glad I wasn't in the shower or anything! A couple of times, I came home to find workmen in my home without any warning ¢â‚¬â€œ and I was not happy about being forced to be alone with strange men in my home when I got home from work.

And then there were the mice. A few months into out tenancy, we realised that there was a mouse problem. After the first sighting, they sent their general maintenance guy round to deal with the holes in the utility cupboard. That didn't work. He came round again and attempted to patch up some more holes. That didn't work either. We were then given one of those ultrasound rodent repellent things that you plug in to your wall. That didn't work either. Mice were running across my living room, up the curtains, and pooping on my kitchen counter. I begged for them to send round a qualified pest control man instead of their general maintenance guy who clearly didn't know what he was doing, but they refused. The night that I was awoken by a mouse crawling on my partner's shoulder in bed was the night we decided to get serious. I threatened to go to the council if they didn't sort it ¢â‚¬â€œ and that worked, funnily enough. They sent a guy from the council round who confirmed that the problem was that the flat needed mouse proofing, and there were holes everywhere leading straight to the alley outside. But by that point, we had handed in our notice because we'd had enough of living in a flat where mice crawled on us while we were sleeping.

While I had no significant issues with the inventory, it should be noted that the ¢â‚¬Ëœprofessional inventory company' they use (Town and Country Inventories) is also owned by Darren Cray ¢â‚¬â€œ so NOT an independent provider. Be wary of this.

Cray and Norton have no respect for their tenants and will bombard you with a series of nonsensical excuses and lies when you try to raise any issues with them. They will not provide you with a comfortable living environment and will try to cut corners wherever they can.

Darren Cray regularly haunts this site, accusing reviewers of being put up to writing poor reviews by their competitor, being both disrespectful and unprofessional. Here are some of his best quotes for your amusement:

¢â‚¬Å“We are glad that you are no longer a tenant in one of our landlords properties and feel sorry for the landlord/agency that has to deal with you. My suggestion for people like yourself is to buy a property rather than rent someone elses as obviously the majority of the population doesnt have has high standards as yourself. I am pleased that you are taking an interest in my business practices, whats in it for you i wonder?? could you be an agent from our great competitor down the road!!!!¢â‚¬Â

¢â‚¬Å“Thanks for your input although i dont recall what property you let via us??? Could this be the award winning agent down the road again!! i wonder..............you would think they have better things to do with their time like uploading superb reviews on their own company!!¢â‚¬Â

Do not rent a property from Cray and Norton. It's not worth it.
By: Darren Cray
Jan 21, 2013
Dear Mouse Girl,

We also have a document - it is the check out inventory and it is a shame i cannot upload pictures of the inventory which cleary show that the flat was left in a filthy state with the highlight being a used condom behind your side cabinet in the bedroom.

There are always two sides to every story and i know what i have written is true.

Darren Cray
By: Mouse Girl
Jan 21, 2013
Actually, we have a document from the council's pest control stating that the rodent problem had absolutely nothing to do with us. We kept this document because we knew that you would desperately try and shift the blame. You have a copy of this, so I don't know why you are talking nonsense again. The reason there are no mice anymore is because the council gave the property a thorough search and located the holes, giving you an order to fix them after you failed to do your job properly.

With regards to your final comment, it is possible to take an interest in what your customers are saying without being completely unprofessional and rude. You are the director of a company, not a small child. Grow up.
By: Darren Cray
Jan 17, 2013
Dear Mouse Girl,

Thanks for your email, Croydon has an issue with rodents accross the borough and unfortunately mice can get through the smallest of holes. Our maintenace person visited your property numerous times to try and isolate where they were entering and block the holes, we also laid traps and did all we could - unfortunately you were a VERY untidy tenant and when we inspected the property we found food remains over the kitchen work surfaces and the floor in most rooms - what do you expect if you live in dirt you attract rodents!

The property you lived at is on St James Park and we have rented the property out for around 8 years and you are the ONLY tenants ever to have issues with mice - i think that really tells the hole story. The new tenant has been there a while and we have had no complaints or issues with mice since you left - in fact the tenants have been quiet as mouses!

I have also copied and pasted the segment you attached to your message as i believe it is also relevent for you;

.“We are glad that you are no longer a tenant in one of our landlords properties and feel sorry for the landlord/agency that has to deal with you"

Darren Cray (as you state haunting this site!!) or could it be i take an interest in what my customers are saying about my company, good or bad.
By: Mouse Girl
Jan 17, 2013
Oh, I forgot to mention - When I spoke to Darren Cray personally to tell him that I was going to have to get the council involved about the mouse infestation, he hung up on me. The director of the company slammed the phone down on a customer, like a stroppy teenager. Very professional behaviour, obviously.

You can use this form to reply to the above review or a displayed comment on the above review. PLEASE NOTE! This is not the page to leave a new review of Cray & Norton Croydon! To leave a new review of Cray & Norton Croydon, please click the link below !
Write a review for Cray & Norton Croydon