Well where to start with Citiquays.... hmmm probably with the recommendation that if you are a landlord then you stay well away from them!
We let out our 1 bed flat with them for 4 years and it has been 4 very painful years of incredibly poor service from the worst company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with.
Here in a nutshell is a list of the problems we have had with them:
- Tenant not registered for council tax - countless phone calls to get sorted but court summons issued to my parents address (we live overseas) due to non-payment. When the tenant was finally registered another batch of calls had to be made to get Citiquays to fork out for the court summons issue fee. No-one accepted any responsibility, just blamed it on an office junior who had left.
- Rent never paid on time and often 2 months late - standing orders never set up despite being requested from the start.
- New 12 month contract signed on our behalf without our consultation (we wanted to stay on periodic as we were trying to sell the property)
- Tenant erected satellite dish on neighbours wall without permission - we requested Citiquays get tenant to remove it but never actioned. Asked for letters to be sent to tenant and copied to us but never received despite numerous emails and phone calls.
- References never supplied for some tenants
- Tenants stained carpets - we requested professional cleaning to be paid for by tenant, were told it would be done but again was never actioned.
- Deposit never properly protected with Deposit Protection Scheme - details were registered but cheque never sent as tenant requested it be used as months rent!!!!
- 50%+ of emails ignored and never replied to
But by far the worst thing to happen was with the final tenant, who was a friend of one of the employees of the company. We were in the process of trying to sell the property (through a different agent I might add due to Citiquays being so bad at everything) and Citiquays decided to sign him up for a new 12 month contract, which meant that we could not complete the sale for at least 6 months (break clause). When we finally got a buyer we found out that this tenant was refusing to leave and we had to go to court to evict him. This took months of work and extra costs, and again Citiquays failed to do the simplest of things properly such as registering deposits and issuing notices to the tenant. The tenant had also let the property fall into a fair state of disrepair and had even painted the property without our consent (incl a pink ceiling!), plus he had the cheek to ask us to cover the costs of the paint!!! Once the tenant was finally out of the property it took another 4 months to get the deposit back from Citiquays, who also wanted to charge us 50pounds admin fee to do it!
One of the most annoying things about dealing with Citiquays is that the employees are very nice on the phone and in person, but more often than not they never do any of the things that they promise to. If we had not been overseas we would have ditched them at the first opportunity.
Do not whatever you do use this company!!!