Properties Glasgow - Infiniti Properties
Jan 08,2013
Jan 08,2013
I gave Northwood my flat to rent while I was working away and although they did find good tenants the experience was spoilt when they demanded that I hand over six months rent as \'compensation\' to get my own flat back when I returned to Edinburgh. Due to this I would never recommend them to anyone.
Feb 11, 2013
JT, sorry if I have not been clear in my response.
If you want the property back for your own use, then it is not a problem and the law allows for that without any cost to you.
However if you want to simply end your agreement and manage the property yourself with the tenants in, then this is a different matter. This is what I was referring to in relation to having defended our contract conditions.
I think it is unfair to claim we hide any conditions. All Landlords are given a copy of the agreement before signing and we are happy to clarify any points with anyone before they commit.
I am sorry that your experience was less than satisfactory and can assure you that this is not our intention nor the experience of the majority of our landlords.
By: JT
Feb 05, 2013
Your latest response contradicts your first comment on this matter. Previously you claimed there were processes / laws in place for a landlord to have his own flat back should he need it that would not involve having to pay compensation - but now you claim Northwood have taken legal action against landlords to enforce payment of penalty clauses in their contracts.
My request to take my flat back was to live in it myself giving my tenant the required period of notice. I believe Northwood were just chancing their arm, due to my inexperience as a landlord, and probably felt I would not challenge the penalty clauses hidden in my contract.
I am surprised Northwood have been successful in defending their right to withhold rent from landlords in court as this contradicts the legal advice I received from The Scottish Association of Landlords.
The fact that Northwood feel they are legally entitled to withhold rent from landlords and have taken legal action to do so does not promote them as operating fair practice or acting in the landlord’s best interest. The fact that they are still defending their policy of penalising landlords who wish to take their properties back only reinforces the fact that I would never consider recommending Northwood nor use them again myself.
Feb 01, 2013
Sorry JT you appear to be discussing two things here?
Did you want to break your contract and manage your flat yourself with the Tenant in or did you want to move back into it yourself?
The comments you make regarding contract conditions are an entirely different thing. Any lawyer will give you an opinion and until anything is tested in court it is just that, an opinion. I am confident that we have successfully defended our T&Cs in court and they are also approved by the Office of Fair Trading
By: JT
Jan 23, 2013
I obtained legal advice at the time and I agree that it is in fact illegal for letting agents to withhold landlord’s rent and I was also informed that the penalty clauses in Northwood’s contracts are unenforceable. Eventually Ruth agreed to not to withhold my rent in what she claimed to be a ‘goodwill’ gesture. Having terminated all dealings with Northwood I feel no need to discuss this matter further.
Jan 21, 2013
JT there are processes / laws in place for you to have your own flat back should you need it. These would not involve you having to pay compensation. Can you please contact me to discuss this?

You can use this form to reply to the above review or a displayed comment on the above review. PLEASE NOTE! This is not the page to leave a new review of Northwood Edinburgh! To leave a new review of Northwood Edinburgh, please click the link below !
Write a review for Northwood Edinburgh