Mytenantrent.co.uk
0% lettings fee satisfaction

“MyTenantRent Review...”

By: 'Jacqui Everitt'
MyTenantRent Review

This is a very long review explaining the following;
- Pressuring us to make the deposit on the first day of viewing
- Gas and electricity meters we were kept in the dark about and tenancy contract discrepancies
- The emergency out-of-hours number that was not in use
- Unprofessional and rude emails with excruciatingly long response times
- Black mould and damp all over the house
- Taking keys without telling us and then blaming us
- Not giving us the deposit back or telling us how to access it after asking repeatedly

First of all, we were pressured into making a deposit the very day we were being showed around by the agency as they told us they would give us a discount. They also said that it was late in the year and as it was a good property it would go quickly if we didn’t take it then and there. I found this very unprofessional and did feel very pressured into making a decision right then and there. We were 3 students who were looking for a house in late March and were obviously worried about finding a house before Easter and they took advantage of this. They told us that if we didn’t pay the deposit by the end of the day then the discount wouldn’t stand and we’d have to pay full price, bearing in mind that this discount was from £90 per week to £85 per week which I think isn’t unreasonable for the house that we were looking at. This again, added pressure to 3 unnerved students.

Secondly, we signed the contract and in this contract it said – explicitly – that all our bills were included. We spent 3 weeks in the house when all of a sudden our gas and electricity went out. I went around to the neighbours asking of their electric had gone out or if there was planned gas pipe work we weren’t aware of – all said no. so I went down to the basement and lo-and-behold, there was a gas and electricity meter. Nowhere in our contract does it say that there was meters and we weren’t told prior to moving in that we had meters. After a lengthy email conversation, we were eventually told that we would be sent £80 a month to split between the gas and electric and we would have to sort it out ourselves. The amount of times, from November to February, that I sat shivering in the living round or wrapped up and shivering in bed because we had to only have the heating on for a few hours a day is immeasurable. We also had to regularly top up the gas meter with our own money which wouldn’t be reimbursed. The problem here isn’t the meters; it’s being lied to by the agency. If we had known there was meters and still decided to move in then that would be our own decision, but the fact that we were told all our bills would be included but the money, they eventually told us was available to us, didn’t cover the amount we needed is just plain wrong.

Another complaint I have is that their emergency number, which they explicitly told us to use for non-office hours, didn’t work. The washing machine broke down one Saturday and flooded the kitchen. I was home alone and so there was no one to help me so I decided that the emergency number would be a good place to start. I tried calling it and it went straight to voicemail. I then tried texting it, to which I had no reply. I also tried WhatsApp and again, I had no reply until 3 days later. What is the point of having an emergency number if they don’t have it on or take 3 days to reply? I would have got the same response time for an out of hours email. What if there was a fire and I was calling them to let them know? What if there was a burglary and I was calling them to let them know? It makes absolutely no sense to have that emergency number if it is not in use.

On the same note, their responses to emails was unprofessional and, quite frankly, rude. One of the other tenants emailed them about the mould and damp in the house and that during a storm some roof tiles fell into our “garden”. They took a week to respond to it and then didn’t do anything about the mould until the house inspection which was 4 weeks after that. We were also told that the mould was our fault even though it was there when we moved in and had just grown worse due to no fault of our own – the house was riddled with damp that we couldn’t dry out because we only had £40 a month on the gas which didn’t heat the whole house for 3 weeks as the insulation was so poor. Side note; upon later inspection, I realised that it was black mould that was growing in my bedroom, which I had stayed in since I moved in, and was probably the cause of all the congestion and tight chestiness I had whilst in that house.

Also, when we were moving out, one of us moved out fully a few weeks before the rest of us. She posted her key back through the door so that the last person to move out could take all the keys back to the agency at once in case she needed them again before we all moved out. However, the other 2 of us weren’t in the house at the time and the agency came round for a viewing and took her keys without letting us. After we found out, we sent an email simply asking if they had picked up a set of keys to which we got a very rude reply about how we didn’t follow policy and that we were in the wrong.

Finally, after all of us had moved out in June, we waited for an email about deposit returns. After 5 weeks we sent an email asking if there was any news on a checkout or inspection of the house to see if there were any possible deductions on the deposit. Again we got a rude email back saying that they had 90 other houses to check and that they would contact us when they had any news and some other woe-is-me stuff – as if checking people’s house after they’d moved out wasn’t part of their job description as a letting agency. Then, after they sent the house inspection review over to us, I sent a very nice email – if I do say so myself – asking about how we would go about getting the deposit back after any possible deductions. I never got a reply. In the end we had to go through the deposit protection service to request the deposit back. This would have been lovely to have known 2 weeks prior when I sent the original email asking how we could go about this. Then we had to wait another 3 weeks to get the deposit back through the DPS as the tenancy agency hadn’t forwarded on our request to the landlord. After moving out and returning the keys (that they hadn’t taken from us) in June, we had to wait until October 5th to get the deposit back. This is the longest I’ve ever had to wait and the most hassle I’ve had to go through just for a deposit return.

In summary, don’t rent a house with MyTenantRent if you can’t cope with rude and unprofessional emails and people, being lied to and blamed for things that aren’t your fault, and for being put into potential harm from black mould and an emergency contact number that is never on.
By: Chris Greenway
Oct 07, 2020
Hi Jacqui,

We also don't have an emergency contact number, we use an emergency contact form submission on our website. Please find the link here https://www.mytenantrent.co.uk/emergency-maintenance.php

re: the keys, we're clearly in dispute on this as our memory of what went on is very different to what you outlined. Also, there were no repercussions from this minor dispute on either side, so I honestly don't know why this would merit a mention in your review.

Please also understand that requesting your deposit back from the DPS is EXACTLY the process to follow, and we have made this clear in several emails to you. I'm genuinely sorry if the tone of the email were not up to your expectations, however the content contained clear instructions as to what to do next.

We don't have any record of you reaching out to us asking for any more money for the gas meter. If you had simply reached out to us, we could have solved this problem immediately.

I've had a meeting with staff to outline how to best approach emails to avoid this kind of feedback in future.

Opening Hours

Merseyside
L7 2PN
07512974935

Performance statistics
Services Valuation Accuracy Fees Satisfaction Min Price of property reviewed Max Price of property reviewed
Lettings 0% 0% £368 £368

No Properties

“MyTenantRent Review...”

By: 'Jacqui Everitt'
Oct 06,2020
MyTenantRent Review Myself and 2 of my friends took up a tenancy in Kensington Fields, Liverpool, for the academic year 2019-2020 with MyTenantRent and it was the worst tenancy experience I have had in my 3 years of being a student tenant. This is a very long ...
By: Chris Greenway
Oct 07, 2020
Hi Jacqui, I'm quite surprised by your review as a lot of the content in there is news to me! We never offer any discounts for applying for a property in a certain timeframe. Normally we advise the opposite! If you're taking the property because you're scared you may lose out, then you're taking it for the wrong reason. Could you please get in touch and let me know who conducted your viewing? We also don't have an emergency contact number, we use an emergency contact form submission on ...
No fees information available
Kindly note that legally, letting agents need to publish information about their tenancy fees, government-approved redress schemes and client money protection schemes on their website and on third party websites (on which agents are listed). For properties to lease/rent in England, agents need to keep this information up to date and precise on allAgents or specify within the property description.

Complaints Procedure