Oct 29,2012
Oct 29,2012
I moved into a shared house which was managed by them after seeing an advert for a room on the internet. I had to pay some agency fees and fill in some forms before moving in so they could do reference checks. I still had not heard anything back from them a week before my move date and was also aware they had not yet contacted my current landlord who was acting as a referee so I phoned Bristol Residential lettings to see what was going on. They claimed they had done all the reference checks and I was fine to move in on the agreed date. Therefore I moved in on the date and was given a key by my new house mate.

Bristol Residential Lettings did not supply me with a tenancy contract. (Previously it had been stated that all 3 tenants living at the house would sign a 6 month joint tenancy contract.) The shower leaked quite badly and and there was some damage to the walls. I obviously did not want to be accused of having caused these later therefore I decided to go down to the branch to check they were aware of the damage and ask them for a tenancy contract. I was told the woman who manages the property (Melissa) was not in and no one else was able to deal enquiries concerning it. I asked if they could just give me a tenancy contract for me to look over, which they were able to do.

The tenancy contract made several references to a inventory document which describes the condition of the house including a clause that the house must be in the condition described in the inventory at the end of the tenancy. I assumed that they had just forgotten to give me this document so asked both my house mates if they had a copy. Bristol Residential Lettings had not provided either of them with a copy of the inventory. I emailed the Bristol Residential Lettings asking for the inventory document and also enquired about the existing damage to the property.

Melissa from Bristol Residential Lettings replied saying that I would probably be held liable for the existing damage to the walls even though it had been caused by former tenants (which made no sense to me). The bigger shock however was the inventory document which described the condition of the house was 4 years old, and described many things as being in a fairly different state to their actual condition. From speaking to my housemates it became apparent there had been quite a high turnover of different people living at the property. I replied to Melissa specifying that I thought a new inventory should be done to coincide with the start of the tenancy instead of using a 4 year old inventory document which was recorded well before any of the current tenants lived there. I also offered to annotate the existing one and provide photos of differences. Melissa didn\'t like either of these ideas and said that the property needed to be in the exact state specified in the inventory doc and any differences may cause money to be taken from my deposit. Strangely she also suggested I try to track down previous tenants and ask them to pay some money towards the damage.

I replied that these terms were not acceptable to me and I would be unable to sign the tenancy contract unless the state of the property was correctly recorded. Melissa and I then continued to argue about this via email for quite a while. Her emails became very angry and impolite. Since we appeared to be getting no where trying to sort this out by email I went down to the branch and spoke to her and another member of staff Gavin (who seemed significantly more reasonable and professional than Melissa) to try to resolve it. In the end it was agreed that I would give one calendar months notice and move elsewhere. In total I lived at the property 3 months.

While I know that most estate agents try to get as much money as they can I felt that the way Bristol Residential Lettings managed this property was a scam. To refuse to even document the condition of a property upon the start of a tenancy seems mad to me. I would definitely never use this agent again.
Treat tenants with respect instead of trying to scam them.
By: Former tenant
Dec 30, 2012
It also worth noting that prior to Bristol Residential Lettings discovering this site and responding to the 3 negative reviews on here (end of November), there was no positive reviews for the company and they were ranked one of the worst lettings agents in Bristol. However they then seem to of suddenly got 4 short positive reviews over a 9 day period (10-18 December) significantly increasing their position in the ranks. While I don't want to suggest anything, this does look slightly suspicious.
By: Former tenant
Dec 30, 2012
My review does not claim that I was renting an individual room. It clearly states that the original plan was for us to sign a joint-tenancy agreement for the property. Please do not try to discredit my review by suggesting this. My review is completely honest.

I am a little confused by Ed's final sentence "My team acted responsibly in informing you of this". When you start a tenancy contract you expect the condition of the property to be recorded. I was not informed of anything different. Communication prior to me moving in consisted of a short telephone call and an email containing 2 attachments. One of these was a references form for me to fill in and the other was 2 page document containing a break down of fees and little else. It definitely made no mention of taking liability for any damage that may of occurred prior to me moving in. I filled in the reference form and paid the fees very promptly and received an acknowledgement by email that they had received it. Then I did not hear anything back from Bristol Residential Lettings until the week before my move date, and this was only because I phoned them to enquire what was going.

It was only due to me directly asking questions shortly after moving in that I found out that Bristol Residential Lettings were planning on trying to charge me for damage caused by previous tenants. Therefore to claim your team informed me of this is simply a lie. To fail to provide some one with a contract prior to moving in just seems like incompetence to me, in addition to the fact that no one living there had ever even seen the inventory document before I requested it from you. These things should be provided to tenants prior to me moving in.
By: Ed
Nov 27, 2012
The Bristol Residential Letting Co do not advertise or rent rooms in shared houses - we only rent to complete flats or houses. In this instance the exisiting tenants advertised privately for a new tenant as one of their house mates were moving on. In order to help this group, as we had done in the past, we agreed to reference the new tenant,and prepare a new tenancy agreement. This was duly done but to complete a new inventory would require the tenants to vacate the property and remove their belongings. As this is impratical the original inventory is required to be resigned in line with the changes to the tenants on the tenancy agreement. It is not appropriate to just update the room you are going to occupy as you have a responsibility over the whole house. Taking a room in the manner you have and moving in with people already living in a property unfortunately comes with a greater risk. My team acted responsibly in informing you of this and I am sorry this did not work out for you. Ed Osborn , Director.

You can use this form to reply to the above review or a displayed comment on the above review. PLEASE NOTE! This is not the page to leave a new review of The Bristol Residential Letting Co Clifton! To leave a new review of The Bristol Residential Letting Co Clifton, please click the link below !
Write a review for The Bristol Residential Letting Co Clifton