Townends
93% sales valuation accuracy
93% sales fee satisfaction
100% lettings valuation accuracy
89% lettings fee satisfaction

“I rented a 'fully-managed' property via Townends for two years. ......”

Aug 06,2019
By: 'RM'
Aug 06,2019
I rented a 'fully-managed' property via Townends for two years.

I am sharing a review as, had I known about the quality of service offered to tenants, I would have avoided them. I could write an essay, but will try to keep it brief.

EMPLOYEES
- It was difficult to keep track of who our contact point at Townends was, so frequently did it change. Three either quit or were fired in the first few months (one, impressively, was fired in the first week) – alarmingly, rather than any sort of handover, I only ever learned this when my emails started bouncing (“Oh really? She left before Christmas” etc).
- Camilla was appalling and felt absolutely no responsibility to do anything.
- Francesca was good and made the effort to visit us. She was the best by far.

FEES. Extortionate, wanted almost £700 for a one bed flat.

RENT INCREASES. We were repeatedly asked for something like a 5% rent increase because of the landlord’s increasing costs, Townends saying he had requested it. When I rang him, he’d said no such thing.

CHECK IN. Failure to inspect our fully-managed property by Townends meant we could not move in for five days. No one had visited the property between tenancies.

LANDLORD. They refused to provide contact details for the landlord. The council had to be involved before they would give me a name and email address.

MAINTENANCE. It took seven months before action was taken on water leaks and consequential mould issues (largely thanks to the council’s involvement).

It is ‘company policy’ for the management team to not visit their managed properties, even when there are serious problems. The 'maintenance' product does not seem to include any 'maintenance' of properties.

We eventually gave up and dealt directly with the landlord. Much easier, and cheaper for the landlord to get maintenance completed.

PROPERTY MAINTENANCE PORTAL. Seemed more like a way of stopping tenants contacting Townends directly, never had a response to anything uploaded to the ‘property portal’.

COMMUNICATION. Emails often took 2-4 weeks for a response, this was ‘company policy’. The phone at head office was unanswered – I once rang 80 times over a week and no one answered the phone. On the handful of occasions I did get an answer, I was told someone would call back. They never did.

It is made extremely clear to tenants that the landlord is the agency’s only responsibility, and the employees I spoke to were largely arrogant, dismissive and rude to us.

Tenants need to be very aware of what they’re told verbally vs. what is in writing – if it isn’t in writing, it isn’t real, and you may find it is denied later on.

COMPLAINTS PROCEDURE. I submitted a formal complaint to Townends, and they failed to respond to it within the timeframe they gave themselves. After chasing yet further, they concluded there was nothing more than a series of accidents (!) in a short email dismissing everything I’d said.

I barely had any contact with Townends for the final 12 months of my tenancy, they were causing far too much stress. Reading the other reviews online, I see I am not the only one who had issues.

I would not recommend this agency to either landlord or tenant, I am astonished they are still in business.

Townends