“Terrible service...”

Jun 04,2019
By: 'Anonymous'
Jun 04,2019
Have twice now tried to rent through Rendells letting centre in Newton abbot. Absolutely appalling service and have sent formal complaints to both themselves and governing bodies.
The first time we tried to use them was 5 years ago and was made to feel awful. The lady wouldn't even show me the property and made out I could not afford it. How would she know about our finances is what shocked me!! Luckily we went though another estate agent and I hoped it was just that single employees snobbery that caused the problem. However just this month we viewed a house and asked to make a formal application. We believe the gentleman concerned completely discriminated against us just because we did not live in the area at the time. It took over a week to get hold of someone to book a viewing, once application in he ignored my phone calls for over a week and when he finally return led it, he said that he wasn't sure but he though the landlord would go the other way as the couple were local and said there were no other property's suitable in the area. (no surprise but we know who owns it so it will be interesting to see what really happens)
I said I knew that statement wasn't true as I'd been speaking with our previous landlord about possibly returning to him but through another agent. He reported he had an application for that house but would hold it back to allow us to speak with said landlord. On speaking with the other agent it seems that the rendells agent has been openly lying about us and causing problems! I do not know why as we have never met him and find it very upsetting behaviour. I always thought estate agents lie but this is a complete shocker.
Just to provide a background on us we are two 30 year old working professionals within healthcare. I am on maternity leave awaiting the imminent arrival of our daughter. We have excellent references from all of our previous landlords and our workplaces so why were we twice discriminated against?? Snobbery and belittling behaviour which has been completely unnecessary. I have never been made to feel so bad in all my life by a company and strongly recommend no one to ever use them.
Never got to that stage!!

Rendells