“Misleading and not 100% honest...”

May 10,2019
By: 'Engineer'
May 10,2019
The experience we had with Dexter's was truly stressful and painful. They were very accomodating at first in showing the flat, I appreciate that, but all the rest went terribly wrong.

I write this review for other potential tenants. Be careful. These agents are not working for you. They are working against you. You are nothing to them but an income.

We were shown a flat which was lovely and placed a bid. A few days later the same exact flat was advertised by another agency for 150 GBP less!! Some of the employees in Dexter told us that the landlord was planning to renovate the kitchen and bathroom, works having a duration of 5/6 weeks. Alex instead insisted to move in before (forgetting about the renovation works??). The agent with the same flat at a cheaper price said the landlord wanted a move in ASAP.
We were overwhelmed. What was the truth? Probably the rennovation story was a way to get us to go for the apartment when they were actually not to be done or just carried out to a very minimum?!

Second point was the standard 6 month break clause. We told Dexter we wanted to stay for a long time. We don't like to change. Yet to avoid surprises we wanted the standard six month break clause which is present in most contracts. It allows you to leave in 6 months but people leave only if something is wrong else they stay. It's a way to protect tenants against nasty surprises over a property that is viewed only for a few minutes.

The agents in Dexter's were extremely rude and arrogant and told us our request was absurd. The landlord wanted 12 months minimum and 6 month clause was a wrong request.

I have rented flats 4 times in the UK. I have lived and rented in 5 different countries in the past. It's the first time I'm told that I'm being silly un asking for a Break Clause.
Fine that the landlord wants to do thing his own way, this is London after all, but then the add should be absolutely clear! Clarity does not seem to be Dexter's best virtue.

Later today I was called by Dexter's in S johns wood were I was lectured, by a 25/30 year old with probably no degree, in economics. I am a 40 year old engineer with a master in management. I will not have 20-30 year old agents explain economy to me or tell me I don't understand what's out there. Please.

Finally the fees. For some reason it's always the embarrassing part. Said quickly so you get half of what is said. Definitively expensive. Misleading and unclear on the website. You need to ask 100 times and eventually you can be sure that they have missed something because your question was not specific about that item.

In conclusion I found Dexter's West Hamsted and St Johns Wood ver unprofessional and tenant unfriendly. I have never felt in so poor hands. I hope they become tenant friendly and maybe study s bit. Else I hope they are replaced by robots as at least robots don't lie willingly or pretend to know things they can't grasp.
Good luck
Unknown. Kept on asking but question avoided or not clear

Dexters