“I am half way through my tenancy in a property ......”

May 10,2019
By: 'Disappointed tenant'
May 10,2019
I am half way through my tenancy in a property that I rented through Jan Forster Estates. I can honestly say that my experience from start to finish has been so so disappointing. The only reason I have not broken my contract with Jan Forster is because the property that I rented is actually very nice, and I love the area I live in. Saying that once my tenancy is over, I wouldn't even consider staying here if it meant I had to deal with Jan Forster again.

When I initially viewed the flat, it was pretty much exactly what I was looking for. The rent was a bit our of my price range, but It was worth it. Or so I thought..

The flat at the time of viewing was in the process of being emptied and therefore was extremely dirty. There were also a lot of visible repairs that needed to be taken care of before another tenant could come in to live there. I was assured that all of these would be taken care of and that the property would be cleaned ready for me moving in. This was a lie. The day that I got my keys was also the day that I planned on moving in, however the state of the flat was unbelievable!! Somehow it had gotten worse since the last time I had viewed it. It was unlivable. The place was filthy, and the repairs had not been done.

There was at least 4 weeks in between the property being emptied and me getting my keys. There was no excuses for the state of the flat when I got my keys, everything should have been taken care of no questions asked.

It took me two weeks to even get anyone to be bothered enough to help me get the property cleaned. This meant that I paid half a months rent for a property that I couldn't even live in, not that any of the staff cared about that. Luckily the repairs were taken care of shortly after, but it meant that I had to take some off work to be in the flat, when they could have just been done before I moved in.

The online platform Jan Forster has available for tenants to make a claim and request repairs would be such a great idea if anyone actually checked up on it and responded to the cases! Eventually I gave up using it and emailed the office directly, only to be told that I had no choice but to use the online website. All communication after that was outright ignored. I have not heard from anyone since, and the cases I raised online have still not been addressed.

The final straw for me was realizing that after all of this Jan Forster hadn't even set up my monthly direct debit! I only knew this because 3 days after my first rental payment was due I realized my rent had not been taken. I tried and tried to contact someone about this, but apparently upkeep of the properties they represent is not the only thing they aren't bothered about. I set up my own standing order and have since been paying my rent with no issues. This was never acknowledged and the only communication I ever got about this was a phone call from a member of staff telling me that If I paid my rent late again my name would be red-flagged. A bit rich considering no one from the agency even noticed my rent didn't come out in the first place...

I will neither be using Jan Forster again, or recommending them to anyone I know. In fact I will actively be discouraging people to go anywhere near them! A truly terrible experience, which as a newcomer to the area has really disappointed me.

The only reason I am writing this is at this stage is because since moving into the area I have learned of so many other people having similar experiences with this agency, and people ought to know about it. All I hope for now is no more contact with them until my tenancy is over!!
What are these agency fees actually for? Cleaning the property, handling repairs, general up keep..? Well obviously not because I have experienced none of this. They half heartedly cleaned and repaired the property after I kicked up a fuss. Other than that It would appear that I spent hundreds of pounds on getting them to print out a shit quality version of my contract.

Jan Forster Estates