“Terrible company and terrible business owner...”

Mar 08,2019
By: 'K'
Mar 08,2019
I reviewed B&W:

I moved out with my partner through black & white. we had found a home we liked and went through the sales process that was relatively smooth. the house was up for sale however we were assured that this was for sale to another landlord and that we would not be affected by the sale. We lived in the house for approximately 6 weeks when we were told that we had to move as the house was sold and the buyer wanted to live in the property. I was quite annoyed by this but gave black & white the benefit of the doubt as they claimed they had no idea that the buyer would want to move in. They confirmed that they would do everything they can to help us and would either find us a new property or refund our tenancy checks. This is where things began to go downhill...

Whilst living in the property, there were 2-3 plumbing issues which clearly showed a lack of maintenance that he claimed was done regularly. The garden was overgrown which he claimed would be sorted and the sheds were filled to the top with other tenants previous belongings. The house itself was nice but clearly not been maintained or cared for. We repaired and improved multiple aspects of the home in the short time we lived there to make it habitable.
We began looking and found another property with another estate agents so requested the tenancy checks back. Black & white had not been trying to help us find a new property and was beginning to ignore our contact attempts. It took a lot of back and forth before we finally got the tenancy check money back. Once we moved out of the property we were awaiting our deposit and they had informed us that they had taken £85 for a cleaning bill. He provided images of the apparent areas that needed cleaning and these areas were either spotless or had the smallest imperfection (such as a card clothing tag). The house was spotless and in better condition than when we had moved in. I requested a copy of the invoice for the supposed cleaning bill and as expected they said they would provide this and never did.

David is the owner of black & white and it astounds me that he is able to run a business. I have emails from this man saying we are 'well out of order', using capital letters to imply a raise of voice and just generally being unprofessional and immature. His customer services skills are appalling and the other reviews reflect this. I had to threaten to take him to the ombudsman on multiple occasions before he agreed to be reasonable and refund the cleaning deposit. He seems to take advantage of people who are willing to just accept his terms and begins to panic when they decide to take it further.

To conclude, after 3 or so months after moving out of the property. We have had a constant battle with David for him to see sense and pay back our cleaning bill. He is completely incompetent and I would most definitely advise to avoid this company. Take heed of the other reviews and don't let him bully you into paying a cleaning bill that seems to be common practice after looking through other peoples experiences.
By: David Casey
Mar 12, 2019
These tenants did not mention that they were paid considerable compensation in addition to the complete deposit
They took furniture under agreement free of charge and then left the property in a filthy condition expecting someone else to pay for the cleaning bill
We would never reccomend a landlord to accept them
By: K
Mar 11, 2019
David,

We were paid fees agreed by the landlord (not from you) for moving costs and reimbursement of the decorating that was done in the property. The furniture was taken under permission as the other person moving in was bringing their own furniture and so it would have been disposed of anyway. I have images of the supposed ‘bad condition' that the property was left in and would be happy to provide this to anyone for evidence. You gave us approx. 6 weeks to vacate the property just before christmas and offered no help for relocation. Nothing paid to us was from you and you made the landlord pay for the errors your company made. I am glad to be finished with your business and hope my review aids in people looking elsewhere to rent a property.
By: David Casey