Sep 26,2012
Sep 26,2012
I am now an ex-tennent of this property, but did live there for two years along with 3 other house mates. I will start with the benefits of our agreement, they are few. We got a reasonably priced, fairly spacious, 4 bedroom house near the centre of Brighton. Although the location is desirable, the house itself was not! When we had our viewing we were told that the kitchen and bathrooms were going to be re-done before we moved in and on this basis we decided to take the house. When we moved in neither rooms had been touched, spare a few cheap cupboards added in the kitchen, the flooring was still mouldy and coming away from the ground, and mould patches around the house had been painted over. To give you an idea of the decor of the house, the wallpapering in each room was peeling away from the walls under the weight of the several layers of paint applied on top to cover up mould and tears. When a professional decorator came to the house a few weeks before we moved out to see what needed doing he merely said " they must be joking" and explained that this was going to be the first job he refused to do in over a decade of working for the agency.

As a student you are prepared to deal with a shoddy looking house, but I will now explain the main reasons for why this agency should be avoided at all costs.

WINDOWS - all the huge bay windows in our living room and one bedroom were replaced in the middle of winter (it snowed a lot!). It took well over a month, and for the most part there was nothing but a bit of mdf between us and the outside, it was cold, it was loud whilst the builders worked every day (not there fault) and it took much longer than it needed to because the landlord refused to pay the contractors. Thanks for that.

REFURBISHMENT. We paid for a 2 bathroom house, we never had more than 1, it took over a year and a half for the main bathroom to be redone, and this only happened because it leaked so much the ceiling underneath began to cave in. We were told that the bathroom and kitchen would be redone, they weren\'t. There was building work being done constantly on the house, and although the builders were very good and efficient, it was very disrupting and surely they should not have a house on the market which is not fit to be lived in?

COLD. Very drafty, poorly insulated, okay thats standard for a student house, but I must have personally contacted the agency 4-5 times asking for my radiator to be fixed, it never happened. Moreover, the old boiler was constantly being fixed, leaving us with no hot water or heating, and the new one was put in during our exams.

DEPOSIT. We were charged for a window which blew out in a storm, it was closed and blew out due to the frame being rotten. It wasn\'t fixed for weeks, the resident whos room it was in had to go home to his parents until it was fixed, and when we left they tried to charge us £400 for it? They also openly admitted it wasn\'t our fault, yet we were charged? When we tried to contest this, they informed us, after literally dozens of emails, phone calls and meetings with us, that the landlord had moved to New Zealand and couldn\'t be contacted!

There is so much more, but this is getting long. To sum it up, the general standard of communication from Property moves is shambolic, it always took far far too long for anything to be done and it was often blamed on being unable to contact the landlord. Well frankly, the landlord sounds like a crook, and if property moves continue to work with him ( they have told me that they still have several of his properties on their books) then they are also crooks. The only care about money and are willing to sacrifice the health and education, of their student residents atleast, to an appalling level. Throughout our residency, the only people we could rely on for help were the contracted builders, so a big "thank you" to them. Other than that, DO NOT TOUCH THIS AGENCY!

If you think you can defend yourselves Property moves, please, I invite you to do so below.
By: Graham Shipp
Dec 08, 2014

Thank you for posting a comment, please can you contact me direct on this matter so we can discuss it further as I cannot find you on our system - or on 01273 321333.

Please note we use an independent company to carry out our inventories and checkouts to ensure there is no bias towards landlord or tenant. The inventory document is very comprehensive as is in place to protect all parties when it comes to you vacating.

Look forward to hearing from you

Graham Shipp
By: Jynna
Dec 04, 2014
After 8 years renting without a single problem I had the bad surprise this year to find out that agencies can even try and charge you for things LISTED IN THE INVENTORY. Unfortunately I discovered that after moving in my new flat with PM so I hadn't checked the inventory that much (trusty as I am) and now I look at it it realise it has been done really poorly and I keep discovering everyday stuff that should have been in the inventory and reading you experience I don't even want to think about what will happen when I move out..
By: Graham Shipp MARLA
Oct 31, 2012
Jay, thank you for your review, as an agency we always welcome them whether positive or like on this occasion negative. I will deal with your points in order:

I agree the house you lived represented good value and this was due to the standard of finish throughout the house. As most people reading this review would not have seen it, to summarize the house is a 3 storey Victorian terraced house with original windows, a modern 'ish' practical kitchen, neutral decor and carpets all in reasonable order, admittedly by no means immaculate, however as outlined above the rent represented this.

After consulting the file the notes indicate that no promises were made about refurbishing the kitchen or the bathroom so I strongly dispute this point. After reading through the original inventory I also dispute the suggestion that all rooms had peeling wallpaper. With regards to redecoration for future tenants, both of our contractors quoted for works and one was successful in winning the work, I haven't spoken to either of them about the conversation with Mr Gibby but guess these were just off the cuff remarks.

Windows - These works were carried out by the landlords own contractor so we cannot be held responsible for this, the same goes for non payment, as an agency we pay all contractors promptly, hence all of them have worked for us in excess of 10 years.

Refurbishment - As mentioned in my first paragraph the house was not newly refurbished and the tenants did not take it on this basis, as most homeowners, landlords and tenants know ongoing maintenance cannot be avoided as issues like leaks do unfortunately occur.

Cold - The property is a three storey Victorian terraced house very close to the seafront and has single glazing, unfortunately this style of house will always be tougher to heat due to the location and other factors mentioned, the fact it has historically been let as a student house has no bearing on this situation. The boiler did need to be repaired on occasions, a scenario that is out of our control and in the end it was replaced, Mr Gibby advises it was during their exams which is bad timing but as I am sure all will agree a necessary process.

Deposit - We use an independent company to produce the inventory upon move in and then a full checkout report when tenants vacate, this provides a detailed report that protects both parties. The landlord has the final decision with regards to deductions, however if they are being unreasonable we will advise them of this as we have a duty of care to tenants.

The landlord did move to New Zealand around the end of the tenancy and this did not help communication wise as he had limited internet access but at all times we were trying to resolve any issues raised. On a separate note we do still deal with the landlord and have done for around 14 years now, he has two other houses that are let through ourselves and both sets of tenants are very happy with them and the service they receive from Property Moves.

Once again I thank you for your feedback and if you have any further thoughts please do not hesitate to contact me.

Graham Shipp MARLA

I hope

You can use this form to reply to the above review or a displayed comment on the above review. PLEASE NOTE! This is not the page to leave a new review of Property Moves Hove! To leave a new review of Property Moves Hove, please click the link below !
Write a review for Property Moves Hove