Sep 22,2012
Sep 22,2012
After noticing a very interesting property on their website I booked a viewing for Saturday morning at 12 pm; I was the first person to view the flat therefore I was told by the estate agent called John that if I liked the property I had to put an holding deposit down to secure it. The flat was indeed very nice and I told John that I would take it. John was happy and he told me to withdraw £300 to secure it, so while he went back to the office to prepare the paper works I went to the cash point. Once inside the office, on 66 Gran Parade, Green Lane, London, as soon as I opened my mouth (I have a strong Italian accent), a man (probably the manager) which I think goes by the name of Chris, looked at me and called John to his desk. John went, and after a quick chat with his manager he lost his happy expression and asked me for the 3rd time what was my job. I explained that I work in an office, I have a decent wage and my partner too had a good job (together we earn over £45000 p.a.). He came back to the desk, evidently embarrassed and he started to find slimy excuses that he needed to wait a bit more because of the couple that was going to check the flat after me. When I questioned John on what was going on, he called his colleague that in the meantime was showing the flat to an ¢â‚¬Å“English couple¢â‚¬Â and began to pressure him to find out whether they liked the property, what was their reaction etc¢â‚¬Â¦ all in front of me! Then he asked about my work (4th time), about my current landlord and rent, about my girlfriend's job etc. After another chat with his manager Chris he suggested that I could go and drink a coffee somewhere and he would have let me know later one, as suddenly, the English couple, who was booked after me had gained a sort of priority. After 20 minutes John called me saying that the English couple had taken the flat. At this point I told John that I felt I was being discriminated by his manager Chris on the basis of my nationality, he denied saying instead that the couple had apparently agreed to pay 1 year rent in advance (£10.920, who on earth do so?), I then questioned him on why he didn't asked me to do so, since I, too could have at least thought about that remote option to pay more money. John did not know how to answer, he remained silent and after mumbling a half ¢â‚¬Å“sorry¢â‚¬Â he hanged up! I have been living in the UK, a country that declares itself liberal and open minded, for 15 years and I have never ever been treated like this before. So, my advice is that if you are a foreign of any nationality or colour, avoid them; avoid Brian Thomas Estate Agent because you might end up feeling really hurt and disappointed, exactly as I felt today!
The agent should have not discriminated me on the basis of me being a foreigner. I have never felt this way before and I do not want to feel it ever again. I will never even walk close to that agency again.

You can use this form to reply to the above review or a displayed comment on the above review. PLEASE NOTE! This is not the page to leave a new review of Brian Thomas Estate Agents Office 1! To leave a new review of Brian Thomas Estate Agents Office 1, please click the link below !
Write a review for Brian Thomas Estate Agents Office 1