“My experience of renting through Hamptons...”

Jan 04,2019
By: 'My disappointment with HI'
Jan 04,2019
I have finally come round to writing this review. I cant do it justice

In late 2016 the Sunningdale branch of Hamptons International approached me to find a tenant for my family home, which they did. Unfortunately, they found me the tenants from hell who reneged on every agreement and promise made, failed to pay the rent, caused damage, lied routinely, and requested within two months to be let off their 18-36 month contract on fictitious grounds. I granted this as it was clearly the best option for my family. This was a family home which i was forced to let, not a business
I then pursued Hamptons appeals process through its three stages and on to the Housing Ombudsman, requesting return of the approx 2,350 I had paid them for the service. The Ombudsman, as they must, focussed on due process and found failings in their referencing and their communications and recommended a modest financial compensation which both side accepted - I was unable to determine how to take the appeal further to court with confidence. My appeal cited various failings in Hamptons but, as importantly, I asked them to contribute as a responsible large employer to the outcome that they had played a key part in, and which was indisputable. As someone who works in a small business we would never ever fail to give the money back in such circumstances where the customer gets such a rotten deal. But they didnt - their responses were inconsistent and evasive. I deeply regret not meeting these tenants myself - it would have been obvious in a second that these were not suitable. i relied on Hamptons
My conclusion - they have characteristics of a corporate - large, insensitive, unresponsive, overly expensive, never responsible. I will now always seek out a smaller independent agent who i liked and for whom reputation matters more. Also, the processes they charge for such as referencing are pretty valueless. But you need investigate them.
My abiding memory - apart from my first experience of a sociopath - is the ridiculous number of signatures HI require on their contracts, on each and every page - that tells you how they operate. Of course, they are perfectly pleasant.
High - only justifiable because of high rents

Hamptons International