Sep 11,2012
Sep 11,2012
After over a month of ending the let on the property, I contacted the agency to see why I had heard nothing about the return of my deposit. They then sent me an email to say that there was outstanding debt of £1,050 and that there would be no return of the deposit until this had been paid. I looked over the bill and it became very apparent that one housemate had not paid their rent for 3 months. At no point did the agency let the rest of us know that this had happened and of course, she was not going to tell us.

Apparently having a guarantor is useless- it is only when the debt goes over the amount of your deposit (ours was £1600 for 4 people) that the agency let\'s anyone know that someone is not paying. So now, 6 weeks after moving out, we are left we no way of making her pay and they will not be calling the guarantor as in their eyes, the deposit covers the debt. Even with the bill in black and white with the name and date of every time someone has paid, is not enough for them to do anything about it.... We paid a £160 agency for nothing it seems.

And what is the strangest thing about all this- that housemate that did not pay has managed to rent another property from them without a problem. How does that work? I have no idea...

Tanat-Jones & Company