Properties Glasgow - Infiniti Properties
Sep 11,2012
Sep 11,2012
I was the buyer of the property that this law firm were attempting to sell. The firm messed up the property\'s title deeds leaving out the garden that was attached to the property I was about to buy. This was only discovered after missives were exchanged. I was told that I had no choice but to buy the property and give Aikman Bell time to sort out the Deeds. It took months and I couldn\'t move in as planned. The Aikman Bell solicitor then thought that I had reneged from the deal even though there was no paperwork or email to suggest that I had. The firm misled their clients and put the property back on the market. A friend saw that it had been re-advertised and contacted me. Even after I had pointed it out to Aikman Bell and the sellers the property remained in the market for weeks and was only taken off a few days before I took possession. Incidentally the sellers too ran into trouble because Aikman Bell failed to do a thorough search on the property the sellers were buying. They moved out of their flat but couldn\'t move in to their new property because the local council had a restriction on the property. I am not sure of the details here as this was not a problem that affected me. But I wouldn\'t touch Aikman Bell or buy a property that they are attempting to sell with a barge pole. It has been a nightmare. Solicitors seem to ban together to help each other out. I felt that the Law was not on my side and my hands were tied, even though the solicitor was frankly incompetent. But I have approached the Law Society about my experience. Never ever exchange missives or sign a contract before your solicitor has checked the deeds and the paperwork. In fact if you can check it yourself! I failed to realise this and was subsequently trapped into a buying a property I really wanted to walk away from and could have spent the time looking for something else in a buyers market.
By: Harper
Nov 19, 2012
I was the seller of this property. Whilst I have no invested interest in Aikman Bell I am compelled to respond in their defence as I feel this is an unfair criticism. Firstly, with regard to the title deeds, the garden was not “left out”, but rather the buyer’s solicitor queried the exact wording in relation to ownership. The buyer then attempted to pull out of the sale, possibly as a result of such scaremongering after missives had been signed, and their solicitor failed to respond for more than a week regarding this issue leaving me with no choice, but to re-market. The buyer then confirmed they wished to proceed 2-3 weeks before the agreed exchange date. The property was removed from the market within that week and a mutually agreed extension of one week added to the original exchange date.
The buyer is right to state "never ever exchange missives or sign a contract before your solicitor has checked the deeds and the paperwork”. However, the issue raised by the buyer over the garden was unfounded. Aikman Bell proved to the buyers I owned the garden, and my ownership of the garden was confirmed by the Registers of Scotland. In fact this is the reason this law system works well. Buyers cannot pull out on a whim on the eleventh hour without incurring potential costs. The same I hasten to add goes for the seller. The buyer should move on in the peace of mind that they are now the proud owners of a beautiful property which they purchased as seen, with garden, and for the price they offered.
With regard to the purchase of my new property, Aikman Bell worked hard to obtain a viewing, conclude missives and secure a swift entry date for a property that I had been very keen in for some time, but had not been successful in contacting the owner. This was achieved in less than three weeks. The appropriate searches were completed and that is why I was made aware of a council restriction order on the property. Because Aikman Bell moved so swiftly it was difficult to arrange a council officer to complete their inspection prior to the move in date. This was a minor blip given that three weeks previous the seller had pulled out on my property and I had been gazumped on another. Furthermore, despite Aikman Bell being very competitively priced, they offered to pay for 50% of an indemnity insurance policy I was forced to pay by the buyer, despite the fact that the buyer’s ownership, including garden, is registered with the land registers. Please don’t discount Aikman Bell based on this one review. I’m sure they would be willing to discuss any concerns with you.
I would urge the buyer to retract this review due to its unjust and unfounded nature.

Warning: be careful when making judgements based on one review.

You can use this form to reply to the above review or a displayed comment on the above review. PLEASE NOTE! This is not the page to leave a new review of Aikman Bell Office 1! To leave a new review of Aikman Bell Office 1, please click the link below !
Write a review for Aikman Bell Office 1