Nov 13,2018
By: 'Reuben Lanzon'
Nov 13,2018
To call Gough Quarters a 'company' seems a bit generous. I've been to their shoebox of an office and it seems to consist of only two people, which is probably just as well - to fit any more people in there would be quite a challenge!

In my final year at university, they handled the leasing of our student house for the following year. The first two times that their employee barged into our house for a house viewing without any of us being warned, we reminded her about one of the most basic laws of tenancy and she told us that she'd informed the landlord and was expecting him to pass on the information to us. Our landlord however, claimed that he had no idea about it. In spite of this, we decided to play nice as our landlord wasn't the most scrupulous and could well have been lying. She still seemed a bit annoyed that I'd confronted her about it in front of prospective tenants, but somehow I got over the guilt.

When it happened again, my housemate told her that he wasn't going to let her in to do a viewing and her response was 'Don't be ridiculous!' When he explained it was because no one had given us any notice*, she said that she wasn't willing to argue about it. My housemate agreed with her, and closed the door. A few seconds later, she let herself into the house and even some of our bedrooms! Apparently expecting an estate agent to at least be professional enough to follow the law is ridiculous! Who knew? Still, we didn't say or do anything more to make the viewing harder for her, which may or may not have been partly due to downright shock at her defiance.

When she finally started emailing us in advance about the viewings, she asked that no doors be locked and I emailed her back to let her know that I couldn't guarantee this as we all have habits of staying away from the house for multiple nights in a row, and that this problem could be resolved in future by asking us about viewing times before arranging them rather than vice versa. She never bothered to reply to that email, then when she found the next day that some doors were locked just as I'd warned her, she called the landlord on my housemate's (the only one who was in besides me) phone to complain. I don't know exactly how that conversation went down, all I know is that it began with her shouting "THEY'VE LOCKED ALL THE DOORS" (not true, only some) and ended with her screaming, throwing my housemate's phone at the wall (luckily it wasn't damaged) and storming out the front door, leaving my housemate and me to show the rather dumbfounded group of viewers around the rest of the house. We showed them all the rooms we could, and gave them an honest account of our experience living there and dealing with the landlord, but they ended up not taking the house. Couldn't tell you why.

We moved out at the end of June, and the landlord was hoping that the next set of tenants would move in the very next day. Ultimately, due to Gough Quarters' inability to cooperate with us vis a vis the arranging of viewings and/or to make the house seem enticing to anyone, the house was left empty for the whole summer and was finally let to a group of professionals later in the year (after some substantial refurbishments).

I'll let you make of that what you will.

*It turned out she'd only managed to inform one of the couple in the basement flat (who we virtually never spoke to) even though I'd given her my email and phone number several months earlier. Funnily enough, I recall noticing at the time that she was writing my number in some sort of notes app rather than her contacts. When I asked her why she was doing this her response was 'Coz I....just prefer to do it that way.'
N/A