Sep 03,2012
Sep 03,2012
Seriously avoid this letting agency like the plague.

I initially applied for a property with two of my friends, and Student Digz took our application fees from us, and signed a contract. We were told we had four weeks to pay our deposit, and that the property was ours. They then called five days later and told us that they had signed the property over to another set of students as they had been able to pay their deposit earlier. As we had already signed a contract, they were clearly in breech of contract law.

We went to the office and asked them for our money back. Both of the women working there were rude, standoffish, and took some convincing to return our deposit. We let them know that we would be reviewing them, and told them we would speak to a relevant complaints body once we found one. Their response was to tell us that they would pursue a libel case against us if we did. We provided them with our bank details so that they could return our money.

We decided against leaving a bad review, but I have since changed my mind after finding that Student Digz set up a standing order from my account to the tune of £285 per month. The first I knew of this was when I tried to withdraw money, was refused cash, checked my online banking, and then saw that a standing order for the property we wanted to rent had been taken. I did not agree to a standing order at any point with Student Digz. I have never used a standing order before in my life, and I have not completed a form for Student Digz either in my local branch, or online.

As Student Digz left us without a property, threatened to sue us for libel, and fraudulently took money from my account, I would seriously advise against using them. Stick to the lettings office at your university\'s residential services, or use an agent with a good reputation.
Absolutely nothing.
By: Higgledy Piggledy
Dec 27, 2012
I'm not involved with the agent or group but thought it helpful to point out that once a contract is signed, both parties are legally obliged to abide by it - regardless of when the tenancy starts.

Putting a review of a company online is not cyber bullying.

Standing orders are an instruction to the bank from the account holder, so money can only be sent. It was not taken. Standing order forms must be signed by the account holder for the bank to be able to set it up. Your bank can help you retrieve any funds that were sent.
By: Digz12
Sep 13, 2012
Whilst we are very sorry that you didn`t get the property you wanted, you have forgotten to mention quite a few valid points:

1) This property was a "Let Only" property which meant the Landlord had the final say on who he wanted to rent the property to, not us. Unfortunately, for BOTH OF US he chose a group he found himself, so neither of us got to rent the house.

2) We didn`t give the property to another group who were able to pay their Bonds quicker.....Having informed the Landlord that we had a group (you) who had signed for the property but not paid their bonds yet, he decided to allocate it to another group he had found himself to save on the our fees (we didn`t get a penny from anyone in this whole scenario, having done all the work). You (the group) were informed immediately and we explained that we had no control over the situation. We offered to find you alternative accommodation only to receive a barrage of abuse and the threat that you were going to try and wreck our reputation for not getting you the house you wanted. The fact it was explained to you that it was the Landlord who pulled the rug from under our feet didn`t seem to make any difference. We acted in good faith and informed you as soon as we knew his decision.

3) Your Registration Fee was refunded IN FULL within days, we can prove it !! Therefore, to date we have neither received further payments (as you allege) or kept (as you allege) a single penny of your money.

4) A letter was sent to the Landlord in question explaining the consequences to our business and we dis-instructed all his properties with immediate effect so that he couldn`t do this to us again (we have a copy of the letter on file). We had informed him that the property was taken the day you signed the agreement, the fact he changed his mind 5 days later upset us also.

5) You mention a "breach of contract" but the contract start date wasn`t until 01st of July 2012, so the "contract" (or tenancy) hadn`t started at that point. I`m sure if your circumstances had changed prior to 01st July and you needed to withdraw from the tenancy, you would have brought this fact to our attention and used it in your favor. Therefore, even though what happened wasn`t a good thing, there was not a breach of contract at that point.

6) You mention that you had problems getting your Deposit back but you also have stated that you hadn`t paid your Deposit yet, which is the truth and the reason the Landlord gave for deciding to go with his own group.

7) As for the Standing Order, I can categorically state that we have not received a penny from you. Please check your Bank Statement again and let us know which account the money went into, as it`s not ours. The paperwork was released to the Landlord straight after the contract signing session and if he has sent your standing order off, you need to let us know and we`ll certainly be contacting him to find out why ? If you can provide us with the details of the account the money went into, we can trace it and sort it out for you (make sure you use a secure form of communication if you do decide to send the information). In the meantime all you have to do is cancel the Standing Order with your bank.

8) Further to the point above (in your post you state you have never filled in a Standing Order Form !!).......I have pulled your file and checked the forms. You DID fill in and sign a Standing Order direct to the Landlord. I have a signed copy on file if you would like to pop into the office and see it ?
If you had come to us sooner we would have been able to contact the Landlord and sort it out for you instead of finding out via this post. We can`t help you or rectify a problem, we know nothing about !

9) We have been renting accommodation to Students for over 12 years. In that time we have housed over 16,000 happy Students. For some reason you don`t get the 95% of happy people on these ratings sites and any efforts to encourage the happy people to leave positive comments is frowned upon as being bribery. It`s a no win situation for the Letting/Estate Agents. We are not perfect by any means but you have written some pretty damning lies about us which amounts to cyber bullying and is legally wrong. We are more than happy to receive constructive criticism or complaints as we are then able to rectify the issue but we will not accept the accusations and lies you have posted on this site.

10) We will be seeking legal advice as we have evidence on file that blatantly contradicts the accusations cpntained in your post.

You can use this form to reply to the above review or a displayed comment on the above review. PLEASE NOTE! This is not the page to leave a new review of StudentDigz Office 1! To leave a new review of StudentDigz Office 1, please click the link below !
Write a review for StudentDigz Office 1