“Repeatedly rude...”

Oct 03,2018
By: 'Victoria C'
Oct 03,2018
John was repeatedly rude to us throughout the year that we rented a flat through Hunters. His replies to our polite enquiries were either blunt or passive aggressive. As a property professional myself, I would never send the kind of emails that John did to paying tenants, ranging from offensive to downright patronising. I have never had to deal with someone being so rude to me when I am the one paying for their services. He obviously does not enjoy doing the job, or feels he is above lettings.

To give an example, we were promised a wardrobe, as stated specifically in our tenancy agreement. When this did not come with the property (bedroom two had no drawers or wardrobe), John demanded 'buy one yourselves' – telling us 'I've told you the solution. Take it when you leave. Simple as that.' This went on for months, during which we received gems such as “you can get a wardrobe for less than it costs for a meal for two”. As we intend on living in furnished flats for the foreseeable period buying our own wardrobe was not a good option for us. This went on for months, during which we had to keep our belongings in suitcases. Not what you expect when you are paying £1350 per month.

When we left the property, we were wrongly accused of breaking the door handle. When we asked for proof, we never received it, and as a result our deposit was halved. We cleaned the property from top to bottom yet John emailed us saying “ I have been in the business a long time and in my view it was disgustingly filthy, but I do have high standards”. This sentence is not only immensely rude but implies that we were living in squalor and have “low standards” which is certainly not the case. If a professional clean was required that is all he needed to say, although I suspect Hunters order every flat to be professionally cleaned as they obviously have a contract with the cleaning company. He also accused us of stealing items from the property, then took over a month to get our deposit back to us.

We were incredibly surprised to discover John's senior position at the agents given his unprofessional attitude and manner – he is undoubtedly giving Hunters a bad reputation. We dealt with several other employees at Hunters Camberwell who were all polite and a pleasure to work with. Unfortunately, due to John's shocking behaviour, we will definitely not be using Hunters again.

Hunters Estate Agents