Aug 30,2012
Aug 30,2012
As far as i am concerned this is a worst letting agent in Northampton. It took me four months to chase them to come and repair the bedroom window which in the end did not show up at all. All the summer was passing by without me being able to fell the cool breeze from window in the end had to be sleeping in the living room as it was too hot in the bedroom.
I have tried really hard to phone them, send emails to them and even showing up in their office in Northampton to explain the situation but nothing has ever been done to improve the situation. The window of the flat was so rotten to open up. A local trader provide a quote of only £200 to fix but they never agreed and let me stayed in the living hell. Four months later I decided enough is enough and give them notice that i was going to terminate the contract as they were not doing anything to improve the standard of living. I went at their office let them know about it and send them email to let them know about it as well and still I gave them more than one month notice in case no repair will be made to the window then I will proceed of moving out. So then the date come, I moved out the flat, hired the professional cleaner to clean their flat and everything went smoothly but then here comes again that they complaints the house was not cleaned properly so they wanted to bring in their own cleaning team. I have all the evidence of the pictures taken after the cleaning with the ladies that I hired and they still saying that was not good enough. ( I assumed its one of their money making scheme to fund their over employees office). So then i decided that's fine and they can take some of my deposit and pay your cleaner.
As i thought that was over, then something else came up which is entirely my fault in away but did not just understand how the procedures and how they handle the situation. I was paying for the fixtures and fittings insurance in the flat and there was this one time my daughter came to visit me and pour some drink on the carpet so it left the stain in there. So when these guys went for the house visit for check up and stuffs they surely find that stain and asked me about it and I reply to them that i will take care of it as I have the insurance on the to cover things like that when they do happen. And then, this lady told me that would cost me £125 to fix it and so i said that's fine I will speak to my insurance. I went and speak to my insurance and they were helpful and told me that I will have to pay the first £85 which i was supposed to pay and anything on top of that they will cleared from the insurance (Sorry I forgot the insurance term they use for this). And so I went back to them and told them the insurance approved it and they asked me to cover the basic £85 and anything comes on top they will sort out, And then pow!!, here comes another drama.. They started tell me that £125 is only allowance if I was going to pay to the landlord but if I was going to use the insurance the cost will be £470 all together. And I still had a guts and explain to them that I won't contact the insurance again cause that will be sound like a fraud to me as you can't keep changing the quote in less than a day to be about 400% more. So, I decided to go ahead and tell them that's fine you can deduct the further £125 from my deposit money to cover that and that means the insurance was not useful to me. And then she gave the paperwork to agree the money being deducted from my deposit.
As I thought finally everything was over, the other day as i was making a telephone phone call to ask the progress of my deposit being returned back and they come up and say no that they wont give the deposit back. And I asked why, they said because I cancelled the contract without let them know when I do have all the evidence on the emails that I have been sending them about the cancellation. And as far as I know it was not me that did not want to stay there but it was them who did not want to fix the window. So finally, i left without my deposit money and poor service and when I asked one of the lady called J***** ( she worked there too) why they do it this way as I was the one who reported a repair, I was the one that not treated fairly, I was the one that hand in notice to let them know that i was going to leave if things don't get fixed and I was the one that contact them all the time and this is what she replied to me on the phone that they are working on behalf of the landlords/lady, so they only goes by what they landlords/ladies say no matter what. But the point here is are they real fair? Are they treating us with dignity? And who real pay them? And I think we all know its us who paying them cause we are the one living in the house not the landlord/lady.
This is my experience with Chelton Brown Northampton and will not be happy another person become their next victim. Let me be the last on their list and I know they will post another link on top of mine but people out there please be careful cause they will eat your money and take you for a ride.
¢â‚¬Å“If it walk like a duck, Quack like a duck, Its probably a duck¢â‚¬Â
Pissed Off Ex-Tennant Of Chelton Brown Northampton
By: a force to be reckoned with
Jan 07, 2013
After reading both reviews, I would be more inclined to believe the tennant. They obviously would not have breached their contract by moving out if the letting agent had bothered to organise repair of the window! Rather than passing the buck to ease their conscience they should have sorted the problem out rather than leaving it for 4 months, thus forcing the tennant to take major action and move out.

If the letting agent "does not profit from these types of situations" then why do they manage lettings at all (they obviously have a few of these situations with their attitude), surely the hefty amount of money they make in agency fees when managing property, should cover the situations where they don't do their job. An agency should not just say well its not my issue and put their fingers in their ears and pretent it's not happening.

In my opinion, this was a case of very bad customer service by the agency, and I will not be letting them manage my property in the future, customer service is very very important to me, but obviously not to this particular company.

Tennants and Landlords beware!
By: Chelton Brown
Sep 07, 2012
In response to the above review.

We believe the tenancy in question was held at a flat within a block. The windows of the block are deemed the responsibility of the block management company. In this case neither the block managers nor the landlord would agree responsibility for the repair. As agent we can only authorise work that has been agreed by the landlord.
We take photographs at the beginning of a tenancy and produce a detailed inventory, it is with this information that it is decided if cleaning or repairs are required to bring the property back to inventory standard. When making an insurance claim, it is not usual for an insurance company to agree a compensation figure, they will usually only pay for a replacement. We did not ask for a replacement carpet, this would have been the only way that a claim could be made.

When this tenant took the tenancy it was for six months. It was not due to end until late September, the tenant chose to move out at the beginning of August. As in any tenancy he therefore will be held responsible till the end of the tenancy or until a new tenant is found, whichever comes first. In this case a new tenant has been found therefore reducing the liability.

Whilst we do empathise with this tenant, we would like to confirm that we do not profit from these types of situations. We manage over 1000 properties in the Northampton area and have very few complaints. We are members of ARLA and follow their strict codes of conduct. We are really sorry that this tenant has had a bad experience, unfortunately as the letting agent and piggy in the middle, we are often the ones that get the blame, by the tenant if the landlord has not fulfilled their obligations and by the landlord when the tenant does not fulfil theirs.

We are still in contact with this tenant and will endeavour to try and bring a speedy conclusion, to what has been an unfortunate situation.

You can use this form to reply to the above review or a displayed comment on the above review. PLEASE NOTE! This is not the page to leave a new review of Chelton Brown Northampton! To leave a new review of Chelton Brown Northampton, please click the link below !
Write a review for Chelton Brown Northampton