“Unhelpful From The Get Go...”

Aug 23,2018
By: 'bfd95'
Aug 23,2018
Where do I even begin with explaining my time with Martim & Co...

From the very first time I tried looking for my first flat I was messed around. I had picked out a flat that the previous tenant was supposed to be moving out of in 2 weeks from the date I looked around the flat. This 2 weeks slowly turned into 3, then into 5 and I basically got told they cannot make the tenant leave (which is understandable, but this was not explained to me until I questioned it). I was just left not knowing.

I then found another flat which is the one I ended up living in for 18 months. After my first 6 months was up I went and paid the £60 to extend my tenancy for another 6 months, I was then bombarded with emails and phone calls for the next few weeks with people asking and telling me that I have not paid to stay. It was only when I specifically said how much I had paid (which I would only know if I had paid it) that they stopped pestering me.

I then moved out and did everything that the agents told me in order to regain my deposit. However, when it came to them putting in a claim they sent me an email saying how much they would be taking for cleaning etc. They had taken nearly £200 of my deposit for cleaning skirting boards! I refused to accept this amount yet they still went ahead and took it. I also asked for photos to prove to me that I had left it without cleaning, as I spent all weekend cleaning it. I never got sent any photos and they just took the money.

I have been trying to sort my own deposit since April because even though Martin & Co said they had sent me all the details for DPS, they never did. Not through email or post.

Sitting in limbo waiting now.

I would not recommend Martin & Co to anyone, it's been stressful since the very first email to them.

Martin & Co