Aug 21,2012
Aug 21,2012
I would strongly advise against letting through Linley and Simpson.
In fact, I would not wish our experience on anybody.

In summary, Linley and Simpson:
Are poorly organised
Demand viewings without your presence
Try to ignore your legal rights
Bully tenants with false suggestions of legal action for not allowing a viewing
Insinuate you are upto something if you won\'t allow a viewing
Seem to think your deposit is fair game
Tell you they have returned your deposit, when they have not
Completely ignore any concerns you might raise

Make no mistake, the moment you give notice to end your tenancy, you become a nothing to them. They will view you with contempt if you some much as question what they are doing. Not convinced? Read on...

Throughout our tenancy, they have been fairly inept, but the real problems came when we gave notice to leave.

I dared to ask to be present whenever potential tenants came to view my home. I made myself available almost every day of the week. I made arrangements to get home from work early to facilitate this, but it was not enough.

One day I received an answer phone message, from the branch manager, stating that a viewing would go ahead, while I was at work, whether I liked it or not. I called back to explain this was not acceptable, but was not prepared for the response I received!

I was told that the viewing was not negotiable, despite explaining my right to "quiet enjoyment".
The manager then accused me of not wanting the property to be let (despite me making myself available almost every day).
Next the manager actually tried to suggest that I might be taken to court, by the Landlord, for loss of rental earnings if a Tenant was not found!
He then claimed I wasn\'t allowing viewing without being present because quote "I had something to hide". How incredibly offensive!
The manager only backed down when I threatened to take measures to prevent their access. This is something I never thought I would have to do!

Anyway, a tenant was found a few days later and all went quiet...until checkout.

Myself and my partner spent 3 full days off work cleaning the house from top to bottom. We left the house in a far cleaner state than it was at the start of the tenancy. Despite this we were told that they would be getting quotes for a professional clean.

2 days later I visited the property to find major building and decorating work taking place. There was dust, paint, tools, rubbish etc everywhere!

I informed L&S of this and they didn\'t even have the decency to acknowledge my concerns. All they have did was tell me they had received quotes for £120 for cleaning (after the decorators had been in!). They advised I would have to raise a dispute with the TDS if I wanted my money back.
They told me they had returned the balance of my deposit fee to bank account.

1 week later and my money has not been returned and the bank say there is no trace of any incoming transaction from them.

Needless to say this has now gone to dispute.
Quite simply, not created the issues outlined above.
By: Tom
Jun 10, 2013
I feel I must respond to your comment on the following points:

1) Why has it taken you until 6 months after my initial review to reply?
No doubt this results in the vast majority of reviewers being unaware of your response and therefore unable to dispute any points you make. I'll be honest, I only came to see if you had replied so late out of boredom.

2) You were not flexible about viewing when I was present. You told me of a time and day the viewing was happening and that I had no say on the matter. I however, made myself available for a number of viewings at your request. On a few occasions this involved me canceling meetings and returing early from work. Infact the the aforementioned viewing was the only viewing that I didn't agree to.

3) Re: Landlords succeeding in persuing tenants for voids caused by lack of access - please provide evidence. I'm sorry I simply don't believe you and doubt anyone does.

4) We both know that my deposit was returned in full by order of the Tenancy Deposit Scheme. Its just a shame that you had to be ordered to do the right thing. Just so anyone else reading this knows - The tenancy ended in July and it took until October to have my deposit returned in full.

5) Precheckout inspection. This is a fantastic idea. Either it wasn't introduced until after my tenancy or it wasn't well advertised. My checkout instructions (which I still have for some reason) make no mention of it. I would have jumped at this opportunity. Please do make sure future tenants are aware of it.

6) Please don't suggest that I was in any way threatening. We both know that is not true and it's offensive. The very most I did was hint I might change the locks if you didn't stop insisting on entering my home, without my permission, while I was at work. I mean honestly - how exactly could I be a threat if I had already told you I would not be there?

What I did do is take in 3 sets of potential viewers, who you left waiting in the rain for over 20 minutes and offer them a cup of tea.
You didn't mention that, did you?
Or that I courteously phoned your office and passed on your appologies while they waited for your agent to arrive?
Or that I gave you agent a drink on their arrival because I sympathised that they had been rushing about?

Yet you have the audacity to accuse me of being inflexible and threatening?
By: Horsforth Linley and Simpson
Feb 15, 2013
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your comments. I did fully out line our position and that which was signed to during your tenancy in relation to regarding access for viewings.

It was disappointing that you were not able to accommodate our requests to conduct views, despite advising that we would be fully flexible around the times that you could be present, and even offering as the branch manager to conduct the viewings myself so that you could be satisfied that there was no risk to your property.

It is true that in some extreme cases landlord have pursued tenants for compensation for void periods caused by not permitting access as it could constitute a breach of the agreement.

I need not list the things which the landlord needed to be compensated for, though I can state the property was not left clean and there were several issues that needed resolution.

We do advise all tenants of what we expect to be done at the end of the tenancy, and even offer a pre check out inspection (at no charge to the tenant) where we visit the property several days before the end of the tenancy and advise what work needs to be done so that we can return the deposit in full.

Had you have not “taken measures” or been threatening regarding access then we would have been able to do this for you.

Many thanks

You can use this form to reply to the above review or a displayed comment on the above review. PLEASE NOTE! This is not the page to leave a new review of Linley and Simpson Office 2! To leave a new review of Linley and Simpson Office 2, please click the link below !
Write a review for Linley and Simpson Office 2