...left to get your reviews in for the 2018 Estate & Letting Agent Awards

“ Pretty rubbish service, extortionate letting fees... ”

May 13,2018
By: 'Lucy'
May 13,2018
We arranged a viewing of a property with the Pudsey branch, I was promised a confirmation text and email, which I never got. So I called after work the day before the viewing and had to leave a voicemail to check it was still going ahead - fair enough, they were probably closed. The next morning I called again, the viewing was supposed to be at 9:30am, so I needed to know whether it was going ahead. The phone rang for about 3 minutes, then guy told me I'd called the wrong branch (I called the number on the website), put me through to the sales team who couldn't help, and said someone would call me back. They didn't.
By this point we'd already set off, so decided to go and knock on the door as the tenant might be in to show us around. Thankfully she was, she was the best part of the experience - lovely lady!
The agent eventually turned up, late. No apology.
I have to say at this point we would still have applied for the property, because it was lovely - that was until we asked about the fees.
They charge £96 per applicant (?!) for a credit check (which I have on good faith can be done for about £20) and a further £210 for 'Negotiating and agreeing Tenancy Agreement' - basically an application fee, but they're not legally allowed to call it that any more. If you need a guarantor, that'll be a further £120 please, despite the fact that they'll probably be subject to the exact same credit check you will. For £96 (£20).
But that's not all, faithful reader! At the 'landlord's request', we would also have to pay a 'Unfurnished Inventory Check' of £120, which as a goodwill gesture they offered to reduce to £100. How nice of them. If you're unlucky enough to be letting a furnished property, that's £144.
If, after all this, there's not a you-shaped exit hole in the property door and you decide to let the house, come the end of your tenancy there's a further £114 for 'Negotiating and Agreeing a renewal/extension to your tenancy' - basically for them to change the date on your tenancy agreement, reprint it, and get you and the landlord to sign it. I assume the paper they use is laced with Chinese silk, and the ink is liquid gold.
Basically, other agents charge about half this, and still offer the same service. And on that basis, we will avoid William H Brown like the plague!
AWFUL. Seriously unfair. There are plenty of other agents who will charge far less, and judging by the experience we had, provide a better service.

William H Brown