Jul 19,2012
Jul 19,2012
When coming to view the property; me and my partner asked for application forms and was told the application fee was £90. We completed the forms and went to the Ryder and Dutton office to hand them in; once there we were told the application fee was £90 each! I feel that my partner should not have had to pay the full £90 as he was already renting a property with Ryder and Dutton and therefore they would hold landlord details. An agency is used to get the relevant details from employment, landlords etc..... after 1 week had passed I needed to chase Ryder and Dutton as to where they were up to as no communication had been received from them (once we explained that we wanted to be kept up to date Brad Craw did ring every day to give us an update) Me and my partner then proceed ourselves to chase our employment and landlords to get the information - this is very disappointing as we paid £90 each and it was only after we stepped in; did we get the relevant information for the final report.

Felt we were backed into a corner to get the Liability insurance with the company suggested by Ryder and Dutton; as we were keen to move into the property on a certain date and was told we needed Liability insurance before being given a move in date.

Also we had to pay an additional £100 for administration fees which was not mentioned until a few days before we moved in. Felt this should have been covered in the £90 especially after it was us that got the information not the agency paid.

Brad was very good when it came to getting us moved in on the date we wanted and arranging a time that was convenient for everyone involved.

When moved into the property after a few days I was contacted by the landlady as there was a discrepancy with the gas meter reading which had been written down incorrectly by Brad. Brad was very apologetic and resolved the matter in a timely manner, however this caused our landlady and me unnecessary stress.

I was renting before and the process to move into that house was very smooth; I feel moving into this house was very stressful and many things were needed to be chased/done by me and my partner that should have been done by Ryder and Dutton.
Please see above comments
By: Richard Powell
Jul 20, 2012
Michelle,Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you were disappointed with the service you had received from Ryder & Dutton but we are glad you have have taken the time to review us as we are always glad to receive the views of our customers, and can use this to further improve our service.

Application fees are paid for each person (over 18 years old) who are intending to be included on the tenancy. Although your partner was already a tenant in one of our properties, he had been a tenant for over 12 months, and as such, would need re-referencing before we could offer our Landlord the rental warranty scheme as his situation financially or employment wise could have changed over this period.

Once applications are received, we contact the landlord as soon as they are available, to obtain their acceptance of the application subject to the credit checks.. Once applications are accepted, we carry out credit checks and referencing via a third party credit checking company (Letsure). This company will carry out a full credit check, name and address check, as well as obtaining references from current employers and previous landlords.

The problem in this instance was that they were unable to gather any information from your partners employers, as the person (stated as being able to give the reference) was unavailable and unresponsive, as they later advised they did not receive the emails, or messages left by the referencing company.

As you were aiming for a particular date to move into the property, we advised that your partner may want to inform his employers to respond to the reference requests they had been sent, as this may speed up the process if they are able to interact directly, and as a result of this, as well as the persistence of the credit checking company, the reference was eventually completed, and passed.

Tenants insurance to protect the landlords contents is part of Ryder & Dutton's tenancy process, and is beneficial to both tenants, and landlords. This can be arranges through any provider but we do insist on seeing evidence that a suitable policy is in place before tenants are signed in. Letsure contact tenants about this as part of the referencing process and often tenants find it is easier and cheaper to arrange suitable cover through Letsure. We cannot specify that you must insure your own contents.

Our tenants guidelines brochure and also the covering letter which forms part of the application form clearly state the charges you will be expected to pay, including the payment of the application fee, as well as a further administration charge for the preparation of the tenancy agreement. We do try as far as possible to make sure prospective tenants are aware of all costs prior to an application being submitted. We apologise if this was not made clear to you from the outset.

Brad has wholeheartedly apologised for his mistake with the gas meter readings, and for the stress it has caused both yourselves, and your landlady. We are glad to see that he was able to resolve the problem directly with the utility companies in a timely manner.

We would like to apoligise for the inconvenience caused to you during this period, but would like to thank you for your feedback.

You can use this form to reply to the above review or a displayed comment on the above review. PLEASE NOTE! This is not the page to leave a new review of Ryder & Dutton Middleton! To leave a new review of Ryder & Dutton Middleton, please click the link below !
Write a review for Ryder & Dutton Middleton