Feb 28,2018
By: 'Lee Morgan'
Feb 28,2018
I previously rented a property through Montrose as a Landlord and didn't hesitate to recommend them to my son. I wish I hadn't. Clearly something has gone wrong since we stopped working with them.

My son wasn't the perfect tenant, in and out of work there were periods where he was behind with rent but it was always paid and they had the assurance that I was a guarantor. They were constantly chasing up repairs and especially the damp that existed in the property.

When beginning and ending a tenancy ensure that you go through all the inventory and that you are in full agreement. Don't just take it as everything is ok. Pay particular attention when ending your tenancy. My son was present yet wasn't offered to sign the check out. He asked if the property was clean enough and was advised by the Montrose member of staff that it was but yet they cited this in the check-out. They claimed for an electric debt which was overturned on appeal by the Tenants Deposit Service. As was the cleaning amount claimed for. Clearly, Montrose does not allow for reasonable wear and tear so bear this in mind when checking out.

As a landlord myself I understand the need to pay rent and to pay on time, however, be warned that should you receive a letter reminding you of this the princely sum of £10 will be added to the bill.

In summary, this was my son and his girlfriend's first tenancy, we were a guarantor for the tenancy yet the whole process has left a very bad taste in the mouth. My dealings with Montrose have been quite embarrassing at times with the person in question pretending to be out of the office when I was told they were in. They are less than transparent on quite a lot of things and whilst being prompt in chasing the tenant they are less than prompt when asking for information in dispute of their findings. We managed to claim some of the money back from the deposit dispute and they even added figures up incorrectly (in their favour) which was highlighted by the independent adjudicator.

Would I recommend Montrose? No, neither as a tenant or a landlord as I found it to be a very poor service provided. If you do decide to ignore this, be very clear and transparent at both check-in and check-out. I would follow every conversation up with an e-mail, it shouldn't be this way but if my son had done this we would have received far more back off the deposit.

Montrose Properties (Didsbury) Ltd