Jul 10,2012
Jul 10,2012
Where to begin with this make shift estate agents.

We started looking for properties somewhat cheaper than the £1050 per month rent we were currently paying. We decided our budget would be around £750 and started looking for places.
We arranged a viewing with Martin & Co for the apartment that we took an interest in.
We were in the position as it was a 2 bed, that me and my partner would move in and our friend wanted to also. I told the guy showing us around that he would move in with us but we didnt know how long he would stay so if there was anyway we could not have him on the tenancy agreement. We were told that it would be fine he would put mine and my partners name on the tenancy agreement and then issue us with 3 sets of keys - This was extremely helpful with the situation we had put across. Fast forward to 3 days before we move in - We then get an email from a woman in the office telling us under no circumstances were we allowed our friend to live with us unless he had been referenced - Any good work had now been undone as obviously these people have gone to a Mickey Mouse Estate Agents School and have learnt to say whatever needs to be to get people trapped into their contracts.
We decided to just get the property ourselves and had to tell our friend he would not be able to move in with us - Again not just disappointing myself, my partner but now also my friend. It was either that or lose our deposit for the contracts - Thats another point.

We then moved into the flat and things were ok - and thats being generous. Our balcony door didnt work for 2 months, there were holes in the walls, the tables legs were nearly falling off, the seats around the table had gone through, the Sofa had been ripped to shreds, there were oil marks on the floor. It was a mess!!

So then we invite some friends over who smoked. We checked the tenancy agreement as to the rules of smoking in the flat. The agreement says no smoking in the premises nor in areas such as garden, car park or garage. Now as we had paid £250 for a contract that reflected our apartment we saw this as to our balcony would be ok and it had not been mentioned.
Fast forward to the end of the evening and the bucket which had been used for our friends to put their cigarette ends had caught fire. Where the bucket had been positioned it was behind a wall so we could not see that it was alight. It was only brought to our attention when we saw a tenant in the flat opposite ours flashing a light into the property.

The fire was put out, the fire brigade arrived and told us " We dont know how these flats pass fire safety as the gaps are too wide, the flooring isnt fire safe, the wood panelled walls on the balcony shouldnt be there and the fire alarm should be nearer than in the hallway"

The next morning we receive a call from Martin and Co. My partner took the call and he said that the attitude of the woman, who turns out to be the "manager" again obviously got 3 mickey mouse badges so she could become one, was by far the worst customer experience he had ever been witness to. She spoke down to him, patronised him, told him it was all our fault - there was not one mention of whether anyone had been hurt or if we were ok.

This has now been going on for months. We said we would pay for the damage - we were told we couldnt and it had to be done by a contractor - we allowed them to access the flat yet we were never provided with quotes. - We then said we would pay the excess for the landlord - Again we were told no. Until now a week before we are due to move out we are told that because we havent supplied insurance documents ( that would be contents insurance when the damage was external i.e buildings insurance which everyone knows is covered by a landlord) we will be charged for the work carried out ( although we were never told the costs) and the excess on the landlords insurance.

Julie Houghton "Manager" is by far the work person I have ever had the displeasure of speaking with and I work in an escalated complaints department so you can imagine the people I speak with! Her tone, attitude, lack of customer service, rudeness and lack of compassion is disgusting. Re-training would only make her worse, she should be sacked instantly along with other members of her "team".

I can now see why everyone I spoke to told us not to touch them with a bargepole. I have now used mine and my partners positions within the community to bring this branch to peoples awareness and so far have in the region of 1500 within Manchester who will never touch them.

Nothing - the staff at this office are incompetent of providing anything other than ridiculous customer service.
By: Robyn
Jul 11, 2012
Little bit scared as Matt Binns showed us around our property on Saturday and told us exactly the same thing about Being able to take out the tenancy and have an extra set of keys.... We paid the fee on Saturday and now I'm a little worried.

You can use this form to reply to the above review or a displayed comment on the above review. PLEASE NOTE! This is not the page to leave a new review of Martin & Co Office 100! To leave a new review of Martin & Co Office 100, please click the link below !
Write a review for Martin & Co Office 100