Jan 10,2018
Andrew Beauchamp
Jemma
By: 'Helen Jones'
Jan 10,2018
I found all of the staff, including Nick Ponting, proactive, responsive and keen to promote the sale of my house. After Nick's initial visit to complete formalities and to photograph and take particulars of the house I had less to do with him than with Andrew and Jemma, but when I did have contact with him he was as helpful as they were. If I had a query their response was fast and efficient. They were always helpful and keen to resolve issues. There were plenty of viewings and several offers, so it was disappointing that the first 2 offers fell through. The second and third offers also took a very long time before resolution: in the case of offer 2 the mortgage was refused and in the case of offer 3 the sale completed. On reflection I did wonder if there was a built-in delay by what seemed an automatic referral to a mortgage broker known to Gloucester property online. Whilst I understand this may have advantages for the company, I am not sure it has so many advantages for the seller. In the case of the third potential buyer I believe they had a mortgage in principle in place when they made the offer. The offer was formalised on 5th September but completion took till 15th December with a few hiccups in the mortgage process including a change of mortgage provider and a change of solicitor. This sale may have perhaps been completed sooner if the referral to the broker had not been made.
The other main point I have is that for me none of the buyers were pre-vetted. in the case of the first potential buyer that should not have been a problem as he was a cash buyer. In the second case the offer was made and accepted in February and it was only in late June that it was discovered the buyer had been refused a mortgage. By that time I was struggling financially to pay 2 mortgages and 2 sets of expenses and accepted an offer of £139,000 instead of the previous offers of £145,500 and £147,000. With regard to this price it was just below my bottom line and a few thousand less than I had been led to expect. Add into that the several unexpected extra months of dual payments and the extra solicitor's costs and I was literally thousands down. In hindsight, from a financial point of view, I did wonder if it might have been better to pay more in agent's fees and have only pre-vetted potential buyers come through the door. ( I know of two friends who went with agents who only let pre-vetted clients visit the property and in both cases the properties were sold first time and the sales were completed very quickly.)
However, I knowingly made the choice to go with Gloucestershire Property Online and generally found the service of excellent quality. My advice to Gloucestershire Property Online however is to, as far as possible, pre-vet buyers and be very clear to the seller about what you KNOW about the buyer's financial position- not just what they tell you. Witness one unnamed time-wasting lady from another town who made a very plausible oral case and a seemingly good offer but was unable to back it up when asked for proof. I feel most honest buyers would be quite happy to provide a copy of a mortgage in principle or evidence from a bank that they have sufficient funds to be a cash buyer, if for no other reason than to be at the head of a queue for property they are interested in.
I do accept that to have two sales fall through is fairly unusual, and my sister's experience of selling more that one property with Gloucestershire Property Online has generally been good, so I do not assume that this was the agency's fault. However I do believe that by looking at whether a referral to a mortgage broker is in the seller's interest as well as the buyer's is a must. I would also recommend on tightening up on pre-vetting procedures, to ensure the seller is given the best available information on the buyer.
The recommendation from my sister and the low fees were the reason I chose this agent. I feel that the price was reasonable.

Gloucestershire Property Online