Nov 03,2017
Nov 03,2017
My husband and I rented a property (forced to rent a property) for a year where the owners were not prepared to accept Local Housing Allowance. This was part of our criteria, and we were assured that this would be all right when we asked them the previous year about it. Therefore, a certain member of staff on the Lettings Team rang me up and starting harassing me about getting the money paid upfront - all £11,000 of it. We paid it in good faith, but with all the problems we encountered, it was a waste of money. We might have been happy there, except for the fact that the location was not as tranquil as had been advertised as it was next to a slip road of the very busy A40, and we couldn't even sit outside on the patio because of the noise. We were not allowed to put washing out to dry because it looked untidy and we finally ended up with damp and mould in the autumn and winter months which made me ill. Our ex next-door neighbours but one also suffer damp and mould problems, consistent with building structure. Furthermore, we were refused a second viewing with no reasons given, but when we moved in, there was such a terrible smell of paint, that it was a wonder we weren't sick. We complained to Martin & Co, but were blamed for the problems. They did nothing to help us, and we were forced to move before the (fixed) term of contract expired. We were not warned about these problems, and those individuals who responded to our complaint, which was unsatisfactory, were most unsympathetic and rude - that includes the Managing Director and Associate Director. We were branded liars. They ought to hang their heads in shame, especially for docking £265 off our deposit for cleaning carpets - which only had to be cleaned if stained (according to Check Out List). They were not stained, but an over-zealous Inventory Clerk deemed they were, submitted undated photos to prove it and advised Martin & Co to dock off the money via the usual channels. We disputed it and submitted evidence, but they won. At least our photos were dated. We will take our case further to seek justice. They call themselves award winning property experts, the only 'award' they are worthy of is a "Wooden Spoon" for their terrible customer service and care. My husband and I would strongly urge prospective tenants to avoid the Lettings Dept. at Martin & Co at all costs - literally as well as figuratively. 20 Lakeside was the worst place we have ever lived in and we couldn't get out of it fast enough! Steve Lake was the only one who really understood our problems, he was our shining light in our tunnel of woe.
Extortionate, especially when we had to find the money to pay upfront for the year. I hope these fees are scrapped sooner rather than later, then everyone will be happy!

Martin & Co