May 12,2012
May 12,2012
Appealing Properties were responsible for our worst ever rental experience and a year of shear hell. The property was riddled with faults however Damian Marsden's woeful attempts to coordinate numerous contractors resulted in us having 49 days of disruption over an 18 month period. We have two small children and the stress his mismanagement caused was unimaginable.

Damian Marsden managed to get through 6 plumbing companies and all of which were attempting to fix the same set of problems. At one point we had to move out of the property to have a new central heating system put in, and based on this major work we trusted that the job would have been done properly and signed up for another 12 months. However we found that the installation was so bad that the Gas Safety Register people had to come in and largely condemn it. They also found that Damian had appointed a plumber whose Corgi registration had lapsed. Had we known that Damian had appointed cowboys then we would never have resigned the lease.

Any attempt to raise concerns about the quality of contractors and their subsequent disruption to our quiet enjoyment fell on deaf ears. Damian always insisted that if we didn't want to be disturbed by contractor visits, then he would come and coordinate them in person ¢â‚¬â€œ presumably he thought that this would negate the disruption. His lack of understanding of the impact of having third parties in our home (be them agents or contractors) was astonishing.

Appealing Properties complaints procedure consisted of one short sentence. He ignored any letters sent to him and recorded delivery letter's bounced back unopened. Our solicitor only received a response when he contacted him via his accountant.

As we were leaving the property, Damian insisted that he wanted financial continuity and even after everything we had been through, he booked 12 viewings for new tenants, all of which required the house preparing. I cannot put into words how stressful that was, especially having a 1 and 3 year old in the house.

On leaving the property Damian attempted to keep our deposit for damage which he categorically knew wasn't our responsibility. Thankfully the DPS rejected his claim and we received our deposit back in full. We learned that shortly after our departure from the property, the landlord stopped using Appealing Properties in favor of a larger agency.

We then lodged a complaint with the The Property Ombudsman submitting 5 pages of catalogued disruption, photographs and correspondence (including a scan of the returned recorded delivery letter). Unfortunately they found 100% in favor of Appealing Properties. The fact he was a one man band excused him from having to open his post or have a proper complaints procedure. I am referring the poor service from TPO to the Office of Fair Trading.

I will be publishing all the documentation (disruption log, photos, emails, TPO correspondence etc) online shortly. Everything written here is true, correct and can be substantiated. If anyone wants to contact me regarding Appealing Properties or their experience with The Property Ombudsman they can contact me at

Can I finish by saying that I am SO pleased that has been set up ¢â‚¬â€œ at last we have a platform to tell the world what we went through. Thank you
Damian Marsden needed to do the following. 1. Open his post, including collecting recorded delivery items from the post office. 2. Write a proper and comprehensive complaints procedure 3. Stop advertising properties on his website that he doesn\'t rent out anymore (38 Yarburgh Way is still advertising on his website as being let (at time of writing - I\'ve printed it off as evidence) when it is currently empty and the owner has got it up for sale - see page 45 on his website) 4. Gain some understanding on how having contractors in someones home is not just a commercial activity, it has a real impact on the people living there.
By: The agent
Aug 29, 2012
Again anyone wishing to read 'the official report' from The Property Ombudsman, can happily read this to further confirm that we have indeed acted in the correct manner and professionally. I think the concern from Mr White was that there were maintenance issues at the property, this could not be avoided and we don't deny this, but all issues were acted upon promptly, as the final report states by The Property Ombudsman. But feel free to read other reviews on here to see other individual opinions from other clients. This is but one person’s opinion and it is a shame they blame us for a property (not owned by us) having maintenance issues, these do happen in properties as anyone knows. Thanks for reading all our reviews and for forming your own opinion. Mr White, I'm sorry that you feel that even more than a year after you have vacated and moved on that this is worth your time and effort to write such reviews and register websites to be derogatory about us. I wish you and your family well in the future with all your endeavours and hope that one day you will move on.
By: Rob White
Jul 11, 2012
Fine, I had spared you the embarrassment of publishing the documentation and photographs. I will now publish photos and correspondence online at and the public can decide for themselves.
By: The Agent
Jun 12, 2012
This claim by the tenant that he did not have 'Quiet Enjoyment' of the property was indeed due to their being maintenance issues at the property and when investigated by the Property Ombudsman they found in 100% of the case that Appealing Properties had acted in the correct manner for a managing agent. I guess the reason the report has not been published is because it does not support anything that has been claimed in this review at all.

You can use this form to reply to the above review or a displayed comment on the above review. PLEASE NOTE! This is not the page to leave a new review of Appealing Properties Office 1! To leave a new review of Appealing Properties Office 1, please click the link below !
Write a review for Appealing Properties Office 1